Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Android, not so open source

Options
  • 31-03-2009 10:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭

Google bans tethering app from Android Market?

Google has reportedly pulled a tethering application from the Android Marketplace to mollify its first wireless carrier partner.

Android, which Google says "brings Internet-style innovation and openness to mobile phones," will apparently not support applications that violate the terms of service of its carrier partners, namely T-Mobile in this particular case. Seth, a developer who worked on an application called "Wi-Fi Tether for Root Users," said Tuesday that the application was pulled after Google pointed out that T-Mobile, the only wireless carrier shipping an Android phone, doesn't allow tethering.

Tethering, the act of connecting your mobile phone to your Mac or PC to use it as a modem, is allowed by some mobile carriers with the purchase of an extra data plan but forbidden by others. Their concern is that data sent and received via personal computers could overwhelm a wireless network, but some carriers, such as AT&T, are fine with the practice so long as you pay extra.

Google's apparent refusal to allow a tethering app is also confusing since Android handsets are expected to be eventually available on carriers around the world, some of whom permit tethering, and unlocked versions of the T-Mobile G1 are available for use on any network.

Article

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭dueyfinster

This is nothing new; and to be expected. Google is turning more and more to money and placating private interests (they have closed custom bittorrent searches on third party websites).

I stupidly downloaded the iPhone OS 3 without a Dev key and I have to pay Apple now to get it working again (€79) so thats 10x worse imho (after paying close to €500 for it).

Lesson to be learned: The mobile industry is corrupt as hell!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭matrim

AFAIK Android allows you to install apps that you don't get from the app store so it would still be possible to get and install the app.

Most linux distros pick and choose apps and versions of them for their repositories. Does that mean that the distro isn't opensource because they decide not to make an app available in the official repo?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

matrim wrote: »
    AFAIK Android allows you to install apps that you don't get from the app store so it would still be possible to get and install the app.

Most linux distros pick and choose apps and versions of them for their repositories. Does that mean that the distro isn't opensource because they decide not to make an app available in the official repo?

I have to agree with you on this one.
    I wouldn't say that has anything to do with open source.
    It's just an agreement between Google and the mobile provider. Obviously Google did have to make concessions to get their phone to market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I have to agree with you on this one.
    I wouldn't say that has anything to do with open source.
    It's just an agreement between Google and the mobile provider. Obviously Google did have to make concessions to get their phone to market.

Exactly its the providers who are causing this and they wouldn't carry the phone if they weren't allowed lock it down to their networks requirements.

Can't blame Google for that. I'd still prefer a pure Open Source OS on an unlocked phone but you won't get that on a contract from any network for a while at least.

It pays them to lock them down and until people put the openness as a priority when purchasing, there will be no change in their policy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Clearly a business move.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭zeris

Just because a device is running Linux does not mean it is open source. I have a Nokia N800 which runs Linux. On paper it you can compile ARM apps and it has a supported Scratchbox development environment. So everything is fine except for the binary blobs for sound, PM and Wi-Fi which is restrictive.

Advertisement