Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roads In South Tipp

Options
  • 31-03-2009 10:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭

Was travelling from wexford - limerick and back last sunday ans was horrified by the state of the roads!! Espically noticeable by the tipp race course.

The second you cross the boarder at limerick junction into limerick you see the difference...has any one else noticed this??

I mean there are actually holes as big as dikes at the side of the road in some places...do you not have a county council in Tipp???

Its such a shame to have main road like this in such a bad state!!! We actually eneded up driving in the hard shoulder cause we seen the car in front of us doing it cause the road was a tiny bit better there!!!

Is anything been done about this???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭biggybum

I'm from Dungarvan in Co.Waterford and have to travel the South Tipp region frequently and i have to agree the rds are shocking Clonmel to Cahir / Clonmel to Cashel / Cashel to Tipp is attrotious. They have most definitly the worst secondary rds in the country. Not sure what the statistics are with regards to rd deaths in Tipp and Co.Tipp but they must be pretty high

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭DaveJac

i live around that area roads are terrible its a disgrace my aunt works in the council office they get complaints everyday but there doing nothing, they have uneven surface signs up to cover them selves cheaper than fixing the road i suppose:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

The road between Carrick and Kilsheelan is gone fair bad,it seems to have sunk in places. i doubt if anything will be be done about it to soon with the way the money situation is gone...:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

i call the knocklong to emly road the gazza strip

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭DaveJac

old boy wrote: »
    i call the knocklong to emly road the gazza strip

thats a disaster of a road used to go that way to work in knocklong i go out the galbally road now just to avoid it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭Betsie_xr3i

oh the roads are an utter disgrace so they are, you cant drive anywhere with out hitting a pot hole, im loving around emly now and i cant get over the state of the roads, im origionally from waterford and i have never seen roads this bad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭MonsieurD

The roads in South Tipp are not just a disgrace but are a crime. The afore mentioned "third world trackway" near Monard is an example of a road that is in such bad condition that the condition of the road surface will eventually lead to an accident(s). The council have put up "uneven surface" signs to avoid dealing with their responsibilities. Clever move from the "shower of incompetents"!

In my experience the roads in Ireland are comparable to the roads in Jamaica (which I have had the misfortune to drive on). The Jamaicans have a very poor economy and incredible amounts of rain as their excuse for crap roads.....sorry - considering our current situation, Jamaica is not a great example to make my point.....

Anyway, Tipperary Council get your finger out and repair the roads!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

yeah and why would they repair roads, there are fancyer ways of spending money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Some specific road numbers would be helpful, but the N24 Limerick to Waterford road and the N74 Cashel to Tipperary road seem to be the ones most people have referred to.

I suggest people travel from Cashel to Clonmel via the M8 motorway, getting off at exit 10 and taking the N24 to Clonmel. Granted, it's a little longer, but it's much safer.

There were plans to upgrade the N24 to standard dual carriageway or 2+1, but these have been indefinitely postponed by the Department of Finance. Nationally, the N24 isn't a high priority: other projects are much more neccessary; indeed, believe it or not, traffic counts on the N24 rarely climb above the 9,000 per day mark, which, in a national context, is pretty low.

Regarding the poor state of the regional and local roads, Tipperary County Council and the Department of the Environment are to blame all right, but not in the sense that people might think. The roads are crumbling because of ONE-OFF HOUSES, which should never ever have been granted planning permission to begin with.
    Each of these one-off houses has on average at least two cars, and the occupants of the houses rely on those cars to go everywhere. Of course the roads are crumbling. Bad planning is to blame, and the fatalities and poor surfaces of the roads are just one facet of the true cost of the one-off housing obsession that is ruining this country in so many ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Not trying to be fussy but there is no such thing as Tipperary county council,but there is South Tipperary County Council and North Tipperary County Council...;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Reginald P. DuM

Some of the roads in and around Clonmel town are scandalous.. For what exactly do we pay our VRT? Take for example the stretch from the Bus/Train station down to the Old Tech.. It's just one crater after the next, avoid it if ya value your vehicle! Wake up town council...

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Fear

Was travelling from wexford - limerick and back last sunday ans was horrified by the state of the roads!! Espically noticeable by the tipp race course.

The TippSouth CoCo have/are now in the process of fixing the road outside Monard. It was in an awful condition, to the state where I was travelling in a 4X4 vehicle and we had to drive in the hard shoulder, the road was like someone went to plough it!!!!

Another example of a bad road surface similar to the road outside Monard is the road between Waterford and Tramore(slightly off topic I know), apparently a good stretch of it has had traffic cones in place since before Christmas.

Advertisement