Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do..?! Subject choices..?!

Options
  • 31-03-2009 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Im in TY and have to choose my 4 subjects for my leaving cert within the next week...I dont know what to do in the future as in career wise... wat do i do...Ive kinda thought bout French, Home Ec and Biology...:confused::confused::rolleyes::D Tanx..! ;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Id say definately do a language, its needed for entry to a lot of colleges. Do biology if your interested in it, if you decide to go into an area of science after school you will need a science subject. If you have no idea what you wanna do after the Leaving id say maybe pick a business subject, either business, accounting or economics, again to keep your options open. All those subjects would fulfill entry for most courses, so if you think you could get high points in home ec, go for it. However, home ec is accepted for points but not as an entry requirement for any college (except nursing in St. Angelas). Geography might be more useful, or maybe another science or business if you have more of an interest in them.

Hope this helps! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭KombuchaMshroom

If you think you are good at the accountig sections of business for junior cert i would recommened you do accounting, definetly the easiest subject im doing and im quite confident of getting an A in it. Just pay attention in class and you will find it simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

Methinks bioligys easy and there's no one struggling in my class whatsoever. Actually anybody that gave a half attempt in the mocks got over 70% so it's recommended :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

theowen wrote: »
    Methinks bioligys easy and there's no one struggling in my class whatsoever. Actually anybody that gave a half attempt in the mocks got over 70% so it's recommended :D

Just outta interest, what mock paper did ye do? We had DEB and nobody got over 70% :( my teacher said it was marked really really hard tho!
    And ilovesfrxxx, that has no reflection at all on biology, its easy enough if you have an interest in it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Do what subjects you like, tbh, subjects you usually like are ones you'll do well in.;) But as another poster says defo do a second language.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Do what you like and have a passion for, and its half the battle won.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 ilovesfrxxx

Id say definately do a language, its needed for entry to a lot of colleges. Do biology if your interested in it, if you decide to go into an area of science after school you will need a science subject. If you have no idea what you wanna do after the Leaving id say maybe pick a business subject, either business, accounting or economics, again to keep your options open. All those subjects would fulfill entry for most courses, so if you think you could get high points in home ec, go for it. However, home ec is accepted for points but not as an entry requirement for any college (except nursing in St. Angelas). Geography might be more useful, or maybe another science or business if you have more of an interest in them.

Hope this helps! :D

:DYea this helps St Angelas was one of the places i had looked at and you can also do Home Ec and Irish teaching...As for he accounting and business I didnt do them for the Junior Cert so im a bit iffy on tryin ta pik them up..!? But your hrlp was class thanx..! ;) xxx

:DYea this helps St Angelas was one of the places i had looked at and you can also do Home Ec and Irish teaching...As for he accounting and business I didnt do them for the Junior Cert so im a bit iffy on tryin ta pik them up..!? But your hrlp was class thanx..! ;) xxx

I know you don't need to do business for the Junior to do it for the Leaving, two completely courses I'm told. I'll be sitting higher level business in June and didn't do it for my Junior and saying that Business would be one of my strongest subjects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭irishmonkey

I do french, bio and home ec.

Picked bio and home ec because there is a lot of overlap.
    The journal in home ec is worth 20% - thats all your cookery stuff, and thats all done in 5th year. The course itself is very straightforward, so if you just work consistently, you'll be getting A's from the get go.

Theres a lot of the same chapters on the bio course, so it's easy enough.

I'd definitely recommend that combination :)

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭naasface

Id definitely do french (some unis have a foreign language matric so you'd be limiting yourself by not picking it)
    Home ec- i don't do it, my friends do it. They say its quite learny and the recipe book they have to keep writing in is tedious but its fine.
    Bio- I like it a lot, i did well in my science junior cert though so maybe im just biased ;) Its a little bit hard at times but if you've a good teacher you'll fly it!
    I do bio,business,french and music. Given the chance to choose again
    I'd pick french,business,biology and economics/accounting.
    Seriously don't knock the business subjects.
    Especially business- it's not confusing, v.handy, easy to do well in and not boring (imo). Pick home ec,business,bio and french :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I'd say definitely pick a foreign languages to keep your options for college open. A lot ofcourses require chemistry specifically too so bear that in mind if you're think of a science or healthcare course. What did you do for the JC and what were your strengths?

naasface wrote: »
    Especially business- it's not confusing, v.handy, easy to do well in and not boring (imo).

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 14 ilovesfrxxx

Piste wrote: »
    I'd say definitely pick a foreign languages to keep your options for college open. A lot ofcourses require chemistry specifically too so bear that in mind if you're think of a science or healthcare course. What did you do for the JC and what were your strengths?

I did Art, <<Honours, C>>
    Home Ec, <<Honours, B>>
    French, << Honours, B>>

And the the general
    Maths <<Ordinary, A>> Irish <<<Honours, A>> English << Honours, C>> Geography <<Honours, c>> History <<Ordinary, B>> Science <<Honours, C>>

Thats about it really..!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

Just outta interest, what mock paper did ye do? We had DEB and nobody got over 70% :( my teacher said it was marked really really hard tho!

Exam craft, was told it was a really easy test compared to the DEB one :rolleyes: hmm im thinking that my 83% would have been 70%-ish on the deb paper:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭i'm a smiler

well, I do french, biology, chemistry and business. I personally would do them all again. I think you should def do a language. Obviously pick subjects you liked for junior cert. But biology is a lovely subject, really interesting and pretty easy if you're willing to learn it.

But don't worry too much about making the wrong choices. In most schools you'll be able to change in september after a few weeks if you realize its not for you.

I changed from physics to biology after halloween of fifth year and I've just got an A2 in it in the mocks.

hope this helps!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 george.

i'd definitely recommend biology. It's not a very difficult course, quite interesting and not a tough exam as all the answers are short. i think the trick to biology is repetition; answer the past papers again and again, the questions are all quite similar!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I did Art, <<Honours, C>>
    Home Ec, <<Honours, B>>
    French, << Honours, B>>

And the the general
    Maths <<Ordinary, A>> Irish <<<Honours, A>> English << Honours, C>> Geography <<Honours, c>> History <<Ordinary, B>> Science <<Honours, C>>

Thats about it really..!

Ok cool well seeing as you already have French and did JC science I'd say do French, Biology and Home Ec. The Home Ec course seems really interesting (what what I've seen in my friends' books anyway) and you did well in it during the JC so you should be fine for LC.

If you think at all that you'd be interested in Medicine, Nutrition and Dietetics or Veterinary then I'd consider doing Chemistry as a lot of these courses require Chemistry. Also a lot of science courses require 2 science subjects at LC level so you might consider that!

Advertisement