Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hockey for fun?

Options
  • 31-03-2009 9:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

Calling all hockey enthusiasts … Just wanted to put an idea out there and see what your thoughts are on it…. I used to play hockey throughout secondary school and really wanted to get back into playing it for fitness & fun purposes recently. I went to visit some clubs but they all seemed pretty serious and to be honest I couldn’t commit to training every week because of work and I didn’t want to get involved with serious leagues, I just wanted to play some friendly matches and do some training to get fit again. So I was thinking of trying to get some people together to play once a week maybe on a Tuesday evening for an hour or so but just wanted to sound it out, would be a good way to meet new people as well? Just want to get some thoughts on it… We’ll probably need a laid back ref and maybe a coach for warm ups and some training so if anyone has that experience and fancies an evening out, please join us! Bring your own equipment, nothing fancy, it’s just for fun!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭tywy

Guys or girls?

Is it running through the summer?

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭dragonkin

Loads of clubs in Dublin organise mixed social hockey over the summer (the competitive leagues are all over) and it should be starting up soon.

I've never played during the summer so hopefully someone here can give more you more information, but it seems an ideal way to get back into the sport if you haven't played in a long time as it wouldn't be too competitive.

I think most of the big clubs do this but once again I'm sure somebody here knows more than me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 sputnik2_2000

It would be for guys & girls, whoever is interested in it, just trying to get numbers together because I really want to get involved with Hockey again but I just can't give the commitment to any club. I'd be really interested though if anybody have information about the clubs doing stuff over the summer??

I know pembroke and TRR definitly ran summer hockey no idea what their plans are this summer tho. I recommend you contact the clubs directly or the Leinster Branch and they'll point you in the right direction. Let us know if you get any extra information!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,561 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

I've played mixed summer hockey in Glenanne, Old Alex and UCD over the past few summers.
    On once a week for an hour or so, great craic aswell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 Suebee

Pembroke Wanderers run mixed fun hockey throughout the Summer. Wednesdays 8PM-9.30PM, come down and join in. http://www.pembrokewanderers.ie

Seems like plenty of clubs are running mixed hockey over the summer, is anyone playing? I'm thinking of going to PW, YM, Railway or Avoca as I live near them. I've only played mixed hockey once or twice before but I really enjoyed it!

If anyone wants to take up hockey again or has never played before, summer hockey is probably the easiest way to get started and most clubs will be delighted to have another player.

I've listed below clubs that are running mixed hockey and their times and locations feel free to add to this!

Pembroke Wanderers - Ballsbridge - Wednesday 8-9:30
    YMCA - UCD - Monday 8-9
    Railway Union - Park Avenue, Sandymount - normally monday but varies see website
    Avoca - Newpark School - Friday 7-9
    Bray - Loreto School, Bray - Tuesday 8-10
    Glenanne - St. Marks, Tallaght - Thursday 7:30-9
    Suttonians- Sutton Park School - Wednesday 7:30 - 8:30
    Weston - Lucan Monday - 8:00-9:00

I'd recommend getting in contact in case times change but more than likely you can just turn up on the day and see what's happening. I couldn't find info on some club webpages (Three Rock Rovers, Fingal, Corinthians, Clontarf, Monkstown etc.) and I'm sure I missed plenty of other clubs so please post below if you have more information especially in Ulster/Munster. We could possibly make a sticky at the top of the forum as well for the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,561 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

I play the Glenanne one most weeks, it's fairly good craic

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭stuckinarut

most lower league teams play their league games on a saturday, but with more of a social hockey aspect..i know in my club, some half the teams train with the other half just receiveing texts and an "option" to train..
    Just turn up on saturday for bit a game,which can sometimes get competitive!

Advertisement