Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anybody got tips on routing speaker wire along skirting board?

Options
  • 31-03-2009 5:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭

Is there any type of trunking to do the job?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

kingaaa wrote: »
    Is there any type of trunking to do the job?

You putting it on top of the skirting board, or in behind?

Sometimes there is room behind the skirting board which would make it very neat.

I used the plain old electrical box trunking before. Got lengths of it in woodies.

Now I have 50mm trunking under the floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭akaSol

You can try making a channel along the tom part of wood, putting it in there and using pollyfiller to cover it over.
    Well provided its white , and you don't go to close to electricity of allot of copper pieing.

>Sol

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭hick

I found this a while ago it's a new company which has developed sound (5.1) & Video (composite etc) cables that are paper thin basically ye can paste them to your wall or skirting and then you can paint over them

looks very neat but not cheap though, worth a look all the same www.flatwirestore.com
    haven't seen em over here anywhere, haven't got em myself cos I'm thinking about "wireless"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭kingaaa

Hick, yor right its not cheap and I'm guessing if you paste and paint over it you will only get one use out of it.I've just had all the walls painted so I wont be pulling the skirting boards off, I thought I seen some sort of trunking before on this forum that went neatly along the bottom of the skirting boards and actually looked like part of it when finished?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

hick wrote: »
    cos I'm thinking about "wireless"

you mean you have electrical sockets within "easy" reach of each speaker location?

Flat speaker wire would provide much better quality and probably more flexible speaker positioning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

See http://www.d-line.co.uk/

I however just picked up some rectangular trunking which is similar in B&Q which I then stuck just above the skirting board (it has a self adhesive strip on the back). Front clips off so easy access to cable, etc. and I just then painted over it, hardly noticeable, unless you really look.

Thats the job Eddie, you say you got it in B&Q? was it expensive?

whoops, sorry, just saw the link!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

kingaaa wrote: »
    Thats the job Eddie, you say you got it in B&Q? was it expensive?

Can't recall the price to be honest, just be sure to measure out what you need first before you go. They have usually loose lengths available, and you can then select how many you need (make sure they have the sticky on the back, as they are often mixed). You may also want to consider bringing some of the cable you intend to put in it with you to ensure you get the right size/fit.

For example, in some areas for me I needed to include 2 runs of speaker wire, and a phone line extension, which became quite a snug fit, whereas one speaker wire on its own was cosy. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭kao123

got something similar in Maplins here in Limerick, was about €15 per strip, can't remember how big it was but you can get and idea here - http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?moduleno=220580

Here's another quick google images search to give you and idea of what it looks like.

http://www.theplasmacentre.com/product_details.php?products_id=1163&cpgn=8&icid=I163-2919708-020N

there are different thicknesses available.

• Advertisement
Advertisement