Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sherry

Options
  • 31-03-2009 4:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭

Been watching a lot of Frasier recently and himself and Niles are not shy at wetting their whistles, particularly with sherry which has me intrigued. The only sherry I've had recently was Tito Pepe Fino and its blach. So has anyone tips on styles, how much to spend on a decent/good bottle, where to buy and anything else I need to know sherry-wise

Chin chin
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,808 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

A great place to find your way around sherry is The Port House in South William Street in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

BeerNut wrote: »
    A great place to find your way around sherry is The Port House in South William Street in Dublin.

If you can't get in! Walked by it on Saturday and the queue was passed the crepe joint.

Looks fab: Menu Pages

Thats one for me and the misses. Cheers BeerNut:)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,808 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

MoominPapa wrote: »
    If you can't get in! Walked by it on Saturday and the queue was passed the crepe joint.
    :o Still like that? Stupid recession-proof restaurants, providing quality food at reasonable prices. Damn them all!

They have a (usually quieter) sister branch on Eustace Street called Pintxo. I'd assume they'd have the same drinks menu but I'm not sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 oddwire

A great place to find your way around sherry is Jerez, Spain, where most of it is made...;)

I lived there before, and drank a lot of sherry in that time, so here's a (very basic) run-down for you:

There's three main types of sherry - fino, oloroso and cream.

Fino / Manzanilla is clear coloured and should be served really cold. It's kind of an aperitif drink.

Oloroso / Amontillado (which would be my favourite) is kind of a mid-brown colour, really nutty tasting, nice and warming. This would be served at room temperature. Look for Amontillado, Dry Sack or Gonzalez Byass.

Cream is thick and sickly. It's a great winter warmer, but I couldn't drink much of it.

And for a hot day in the summer, make up jugs of Rebujitos with half and half fino and 7Up and lots of ice - not very 'Frasier' though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

Thanks for that, oddwire. Care to recommend a bottle of Oloroso/Amontillado, where to buy and how much for a decent bottle?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭rediguana

This site is good for learning about Sherry styles.
    http://www.sherry.org/EN/portada.cfm?CFID=158749&CFTOKEN=54085269

The good thing about Sherry is that it is rarely expensive (it's very much out of fashion these days, which is a shame).

Yeah, I've only been able to get into the Port House once, and that was when it was just me and I basically sat at the bar. Pintxos is easier to get into and is the same idea. Actually, I reviewed Pintxos here http://pauljkiernan.wordpress.com/2009/03/22/pintxo/ .

My own feeling is that Manzanilla (or Fino) are good ones to start with. They are dry, tangy, light and are good aperitif material. You'll pay maybe €14-€18. Not too bad, sherries are fortified, so they're higher in alcohol (15.5% for Manzanilla / Fino) than table wines.

PX sherries are very, very sweet. If you want to try a bottle, you can use up the rest of it by drizzling it over ice cream. I actually think this is the best way to have it!

Advertisement