Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Booking Hertz rentals

Options
  • 31-03-2009 3:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭

Hi,

Whilst looking at quotes for cars on Hertz for our summer holiday in France we noticed that even allowing for currency conversion there is about a 10% difference between Sterling and Euro (and not in our favour). Do any of you know whether it is possible to purchase using the Sterling site or whether it would cause us any issues with the rental?

Many thanks,
    D.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭d8player

Hi MC,

We have no option but to rent a car and that thread is about renting cars in general not specifically about booking using the sterling website.

Thx,
    D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

d8player wrote: »
    Hi,

Whilst looking at quotes for cars on Hertz for our summer holiday in France we noticed that even allowing for currency conversion there is about a 10% difference between Sterling and Euro (and not in our favour). Do any of you know whether it is possible to purchase using the Sterling site or whether it would cause us any issues with the rental?

Many thanks,
    D.

Its possible to save a fortune by using one of the price comparison sites to search for the best possible deal. Try Kayak.com

Also, once you get a decent price, go directly to the site from the country you plan on renting the car from (Hertz France in your case). It's possible to get it cheaper that way. I've not had any issues by booking in Sterling. Be advised that your card company would charge a 1.5% fee for the foreign transaction though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Read the tips in it about returning the car, and photograph everything before and after.

MC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Drakar

Also note that in most territories Hertz tend to be more expensive (but there might be a bit of you get what you pay for with regards to service histories etc).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,180 ✭✭✭k123456

If u are in the AA, you get a 10% discount wth Hertz

• Registered Users Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭fdevine

Used travelsupermarket.com to get a quote last week.

It's similar to other price comparison websites.

Their cheapest quote, by a mile, was through expedia.com. Might be worth a look.

Also, as an alternative to paying €5-€15 per day for zero excess insurance, I discovered that AXA offer it for around €55 per annum.

http://www.axacarhireexcess.ie/default.aspx

To answer your original question, it shouldn't make any difference where you book your car hire. I doubt the agents in France will care either. Book it, pay for it, collect it. That's what I intend to do. <€300 for two weeks car hire in France. Add €55 car hire excess insurance and I'm still saving.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭richieb

if u rent through the english website you will not be able to change the country as when u put in the address ie cork, the next line is united kingdom and this is fixed and can not be changed, also do not book through hertz .com as the basic insurance is NOT included in this price and u will be stung double when u go to collect the car ( i got caught in liverpool on this ). as fdevine says above Also, as an alternative to paying €5-€15 per day for zero excess insurance, I discovered that AXA offer it for around €55 per annum.
    this is an excellent way to save money,i find to book hertz the cheapest quote is always through the ryanair website, you will get the 10% discount if u go this way , also u dont need to put in any flight no.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

If you book on the Hertz website, save 20% with CDP# 1261109.

Using that code is usually cheaper than going through Aer Arann / Ryanair.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭richieb

benifa wrote: »

just make sure the insurance is included

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭walshki

benifa wrote: »

Thanks for that. It actually gave me a 10% discount. Do you know how long that lasts?

Anyway, I've found cheap rates on a couple of websites
    www.netflights.com
    www.carhireeverywhere.ie
    I've read some good reviews of netflights - they actually just get discounted rates for Dollar and Thrifty who are usually expensive but work out quite cheap depending on what you're looking for.

I've used Hertz more often that not myself but I need a car for 3 weeks in the states this summer and netflights was definitely cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

http://www.holidayautos.co.uk can sometimes be very cheap, too. It can sometimes be expensive, also. Depends on where and when. But still, it's another one to bear in mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭jc7

IF I chose to get Collision damage waiver (CDW) when renting, does this mean I can avoid all the horror stories that people experience when returning a rental?

Advertisement