Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photographic/Video Project : Street Violence

Options
  • 31-03-2009 2:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

I am a photographic artist based in Dublin looking to interview individuals who have been indirectly or directly affected by aggravated assault or street crime. The aim of the project is to more fully understand the residual effects of post traumatic stress arising from unwarranted assault. In doing so it is hoped to investigate the healing process and resilience of the victim through shared experience. Interviews will be carried out with absolute discretion to the sensitivity of the subject and at your convenience. If you are interested in taking or know of someone who may be, please contact Michael at 0861274292 or micconlon@gmail.com. Thank you.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 mconlon

The idea for this project derived from my own personal experience as a victim of random street violence. What I realized was, while the initial physical effects heal relatively quickly, it is the long-term psychological effects of an assault which are most disabling; the effects of post traumatic stress. The victim constantly refers back to that moment of attack, constructing their mental image. They replay how they could have, or did not, assert themselves to overcome their assailants. This, reliving of events, compounds feelings of helplessness. Those who have been attacked usually have symptoms of being highly sensitive to possible dangers while going about their daily activities and this, to some extent, renders them as prisoners to perceived threats in their everyday lives.

In his writings on the effects of trauma, Prof Peter A. Levine states that a key factor in healing these psychological scars is to get past the urge to mentally replay events in which the attacked persons ultimately relegates themselves to being helpless victims. In order to move on, those attacked need to re-negotiate and reaffirm their self-image. By deciding to create a self-portrait and relating their story to camera it is hoped that that the work can act as a means to externalize the actualities of the attack and thus the subject can then repossess their personnel identity and positive sense of self.

Fear can leave a victim feeling incapable of self-care and thus establishing a diminished sense of self-regard. Ultimately, this means that the victim continues to be controlled by their assailant long after the actuality of the event. I believe that the process of creating a self-portrait and relating the story of the event may help establish a psychological turning point in a victim’s experience and therefore help the victim towards a point of closure. I do not pertain to be psychologist, however I have found that there is a lot to be learned by communicating such experiences as they happen more frequently than we would like to imagine.

As such it is hoped this work will become critically engaged in the problem of social violence in our communities. It is hoped that this project may instigate dialogues and social engagement which may lead to new understandings and social relationships.

Michael.

Advertisement