Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New micro-brewery in Tipp?

Options
  • 31-03-2009 11:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭

Looks like a new brewery in Templemore Co. Tipperary. Good luck with the project. It is called White Gypsy. Not much on their web page yet though
    http://www.whitegypsy.ie/ Hope it is a success
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,119 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

We've got kegs off them for partys....yummy yummy beer.....hopfully there bringing out a summer beer for local pubs....I heard hints of it this morning:)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

It's run by the guy who brews for Messrs Maguire in Dublin and should be opening officially some time next month. He has very ambitious plans and I hope he does well out of it. The first regular beers he'll be doing are a dark lager and an IPA. At the moment he has MM Rusty on cask at his brother's pub -- Finn's in Borisoleigh -- where it's badged as St Cuilán's Ale.

He will (hopefully) also be doing his resurrected version of Dwan's Black Pearl stout, though under a different name. It's an amazing beer.

I hope he does really well out of it (Cuilan), been tasting his beers for a good few years now...

Lets hope Diageo don't get wind of it and bribe all the local pubs not to stock his beer...it would be a tragedy....i'm getting really tired of hearing you can only have a carslberg, bud or heineken....:(

Lets hope Diageo don't get wind of it and bribe all the local pubs not to stock his beer...it would be a tragedy
    That's exactly what will happen. The only tragedy is if the publicans decide that it's better to support an English multinational corporation than a local one-man brewery. No Irish microbrewery is ever going to be able to compete with Heineken and Diageo on price. It requires a principled stand on the part of the publican who, as a businessman, depends on a principled stand by the drinker.
    i'm getting really tired of hearing you can only have a carslberg, bud or heineken....:(
    Just keep asking for Carlow Brewing, Franciscan Well, White Gypsy and Galway Hooker beers. The first thing we need to remove is the publican's "there's no demand" argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭yknaa

Thanks for the info. I'll support the products when I see them.
    Good too that there is a campaign in Cork to retain the Beamish Brewery as a micro-brewery and a tourist attraction with brewery tours etc.

• Advertisement

yknaa wrote: »
    there is a campaign in Cork to retain the Beamish Brewery as a micro-brewery and a tourist attraction with brewery tours etc.
    Can't see that happening, unless the site turns out to have virtually no resale value, which is always possible. Heineken Ireland seem to have bugger all interest in the brands their parent company has thrown at them.

Though interestingly they did (and possibly still do) run a tiny token brewery at their visitors' centre in Amsterdam. Though since they can still put "Beamish: Brewed in Cork since 1792" on their marketing, there's probably not much of an incentive to do that with the old Beamish plant which closes today.

BeerNut wrote: »
    That's exactly what will happen.

You haven't met Cuilan, i'd say you could nail him to the cross on the church and he wouldn't sell out, he's not doing this for a love of money...he's built it from nothing....

Publicans really need a kick up the back side, "here's 1000 kegs of Bud, now don't stock his beers ever again":mad:, it should be illegal!!!
    Your right the publicans need a bit more pride in their work...

You haven't met Cuilan
    I spent about two hours bending his ear last week, and have met him a few times in the past. Amazing guy, and amazing beer. His MM Bock just won the first Michael Jackson Award for Irish Beer run by the Porterhouse.
    i'd say you could nail him to the cross on the church and he wouldn't sell out, he's not doing this for a love of money...he's built it from nothing....
    I'm well aware of that. Well aware :). But without retailers to sell his beer, there's only so much he can do.
    the publicans need a bit more pride in their work...
    They're only trying to make a living, just like the macrobrewers. If the drinkers told both of them that they would prefer something other than the mass-market fizzy chemical juice on offer; if they decided that they'd rather their beer money went towards making beer instead of TV ads; then the publicans, and possibly even the macrobreweries, would get the appropriate kick up the arse.

The biggest blood-boiler for me is the people who buy a pint of Guinness in order to cry into it about the lack of beer choice in this country.

I'm so thirsty right now, what time does Finns Open:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Publicans really need a kick up the back side, "here's 1000 kegs of Bud, now don't stock his beers ever again":mad:, it should be illegal!!!

Heineken did something similar to get an up take of paulaner!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

You haven't met Cuilan, i'd say you could nail him to the cross on the church and he wouldn't sell out, he's not doing this for a love of money...he's built it from nothing....

I have only talked to him once he is definitely a character:)

Advertisement