Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Old Apartments - Should I count Ceiling...

• 31-03-2009 10:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭

I am doing a ground floor apartment, there is an apartment above it but I know that there is no insulation at all in the ceiling between them as I was told by the owner. Realistically, there is massive heat loss from the ground to the first floor. Now I have not seen the inside of the ceiling, I am working on the owners knowledge at all. Is there any precautions I should take? Do I just run with defaults?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Smcgie

You could use defaults depending on year of construction but if the owner says there is no insulation in th ceiling the correct thing to do would be to work out the Uvalue of ceiling separately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 nmg-lky

would the apartment above not be class as a heated space therefore no entry should be made for the ceiling / roof of the ground floor apt.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭engrish?

nmg-lky wrote: »
    would the apartment above not be class as a heated space therefore no entry should be made for the ceiling / roof of the ground floor apt.

You see thats what worries me, since it is a heated space above. But, at the same time it is an old style ceiling. Plaster and lats on one side and floor boards on the other. That means that the apartment upstairs would benifit form the heat of downstairs but downstairs would be loosing heat if the upstairs didnt have the heat on.....

What would you do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

engrish? wrote: »
    You see thats what worries me, since it is a heated space above. But, at the same time it is an old style ceiling. Plaster and lats on one side and floor boards on the other. That means that the apartment upstairs would benifit form the heat of downstairs but downstairs would be loosing heat if the upstairs didnt have the heat on.....

What would you do?

Because the differecnce in temperature would be negligable and both apartments would be similarily heated, there would be little or no heat transfer between the two so you treat is as an adjacent heated space.
    The material between the apartments is irrelevant.

Advertisement