Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worlds safest table saw

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,441 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Impressive! BTW, to embed a movie, just put the code for the movie, i.e. "esnQwVZOrUU" between the YouTube tags, not the whole URL.

There's a bandsaw that has the same mechanism apparently ...

My only concern would be how it would cope with cutting wood that was still a little green, and therefore with some moisture in it, thereby giving a false alarm. It doesn't look like that mechanism is designed to be triggered multiple times without replacing that aluminium block the saw blade digs into.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

Alun wrote: »
    Impressive! BTW, to embed a movie, just put the code for the movie, i.e. "esnQwVZOrUU" between the YouTube tags, not the whole URL.

There's a bandsaw that has the same mechanism apparently ...

My only concern would be how it would cope with cutting wood that was still a little green, and therefore with some moisture in it, thereby giving a false alarm. It doesn't look like that mechanism is designed to be triggered multiple times without replacing that aluminium block the saw blade digs into.

thanks;)

irish timber is wet as a bevers pocket.

it looks like a new blade each time it happens.

good idea though.

how to you know its not working. Do you have to keep a tin of hotdogs with ya. Or a cat maybe:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭aerosol

Its a great idea,I emailed this crowd about a year ago asking if they would be sold in Europe.They said they had plans too but no idea on when...........

They was alot of discussion on a couple of US forums awhile back about them and the big tool makers trying to repress the idea:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭ennisa

There is a video on line of ( i think ) the owner of the company using his own finger to test the saw stop. It's done in a typically over done american tv show style but it's worth it so see the speed with which it reacts. Then do a search on google for table saw injuries :) Here is the link to the actual (non hot-dog) demo
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3mzhvMgrLE&NR=1

If I could afford it i would be seriously thinking about one. I do see somebody trying to scam their company for workmans comp only to find out that they have been using a saw stop and they really caught their finger in a door!
    When it comes to wet wood I think that there is still a massive percentage difference to the conducted electrical signal (which i think this uses) between a piece of meat and a piece of wood. If it's wet enough to confuse the saw then it is probably to wet to cut in the first place.

Didn't know they had a band saw too. The table saws are supposed to be very good in their own right. Safety not withstanding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

Try that with your ur own hot dog:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭JoeB-

It does sound like a good idea but I don't think it will catch off in professional workshops.

People would be worried about reliability.. and false alarms. The saw blade assembly does need to be replaced each time, quite expensive I think.. would probably also take quite a while, like, even if the saws are sold in Europe will they have service people in Ireland to change the saw blade assembley quickly?

The Americans get a load of abuse of the English cabinet makers for ignoring safety.. for not using guards or splitters, and for using long rip fences than extend past the blade, and for somewhat dangerous techniques like raising panels on a saw, or producing circles...

If the table saw is fully guarded and the operator knows what he's at then the extra benefit is smaller than it appears at first.

I don't know how it works on a bandsaw.. also bandsaws are less dangerous than a table saw. I say I don't know how it works because it must cause serious damage to a bandsaw to bring the heavy wheels to a full stop quickly.. also there's no obvious way how a bandsaw blade can be stopped quickly.. it can't really be made to bite into a aluminium block like the Saw Stop, so how does it stop?, does it stop the wheels directly? This must be hard to fix after it does off...

Cheers

Advertisement