Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Luas Trams Have Arrived

Options
  • 31-03-2009 1:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭

It's all in the latest update. (Click Here)

attachment.php?attachmentid=76073&d=1238458820
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

when are they going into service?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

43m? I thought they were meant to be going to 53m?

They haven't even extended platforms fro 43m, so I doubt they'll be in service too soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭Stupido

is it just me or do they look slightly different than the existing ones?

BTW to existing trams are 30 & 40 metres long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Stupido wrote: »

I'm pretty certain they're all 40m long now. That's why I can't understand 43m.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭noelfirl

Stupido wrote: »

Headlamps are definitely different. Looking straight on the profile left to right seems a bit slimmer and on the right image the overall front seems squarer. Yellow stripe will be added over here I presume.

AIUI green line trams were always 40m long, whereas red line trams started out as 25m long and were all extended to 40m over time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Colm R

Are these trams provided to keep up the current level of service when the red line extends to the Point?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,480 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Current tram for comparison.
    luas.jpg

The new ones are pretty ugly looking in comparison I think.
    The bogies look more hidden than currently too, though that could just be the guy standing in the way:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

They're a little bit uglier in my opinion, the new ones that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

All i can notice on that is that the drivers cab looks a bit squished, probably so there's more passenger space. is that about it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Nostradamus

paulm17781 wrote: »

They haven't even extended platforms fro 43m, so I doubt they'll be in service too soon.

They do not have to be extended, the drivers cabs are reduced in depth, and they overhang the 40M platforms 6 meters in total - I think it works out to space for an extra 80 passengers per unit which is pretty impressive if you think about no extra spend on infrastructure.

I think I read once that this overhanging driving cab was developed for the Hanover U Bahn and was a success.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭triple-M

what line are these new trams going to be used on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭IIMII

Just looking at the map at the link at the top of the page. How much of the old alignment did they follow? Seems very twisty (for the want of a better word) for a heavy rail line

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

Colm R wrote: »
    Are these trams provided to keep up the current level of service when the red line extends to the Point?

Yes - Additional trams are required to facilitate the extension of the Red line to Citywest and the Point and the Green Line to Cherrywood.
    triple-M wrote: »
    what line are these new trams going to be used on?

I'm not sure that decision has been made yet - perhaps both lines.
    Stevek101 wrote: »
    when are they going into service?

They will need extensive testing, which could be 6 months or more. I would expect that they will not enter service until the new extensions are commissioned.
    IIMII wrote: »
    Just looking at the map at the link at the top of the page. How much of the old alignment did they follow? Seems very twisty (for the want of a better word) for a heavy rail line

The green line diverges from the old alignment at Sandyford to serve the Ballyogan Road area where there is a large population, returning to it north of Carrickmines station.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Just back from Budapest and the new trams on the 4 and 6 lines are 60 metres long and absolutely belt along. Is there a problem with any of the green line stops that make extension to 60m overly difficult?

Edit: They're 54m long, I just counted 6 sections and assumed they were 10 metres each but they're only 9. Still aparently the longest passenger trams in the world. Green line would be ideally suited to this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭Stupido

I believe the metro trams will be this length, but with 2 joined together to give c90m.

No problem on the green line until it hits the city centre streets!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

paulm17781 wrote: »
    I'm pretty certain they're all 40m long now. That's why I can't understand 43m.

Let's see - 3m...

So I'd say you could budget for getting another 150 people in to the tram :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

One difference with these trams is that they are 100% low floor, which the current trams are not, so they are more accessible for people with disabilities. Maybe this will allow for shorter dwell times at stops?

KC61 wrote: »
    The green line diverges from the old alignment at Sandyford to serve the Ballyogan Road area where there is a large population, returning to it north of Carrickmines station.
    Cheers. Take it that the line used to run east of and around the race-course then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

Cheers. Take it that the line used to run east of and around the race-course then?

Yeah. It ran alongside the back straight of the racecourse through Foxrock village. Station was located beside the entrance to Leopardstown Golf Centre on the site of an apartment complex called the hedgerows. Obviously this name was garnered from the fact that Foxrock station was full of ....hedgerows! And because I know you love this stuff, the original ticket kiosk where punters bought tickets to the races is still there.;)

Ha! :)

I have a Luas book somewhere, must dig it out. I had passed by some of the works recently near Loughlinstown. Are they using that old viaduct? And what will the journey time be like start to finish on the line?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Those are ugly, UGLY trams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

MYOB wrote: »
    Those are ugly, UGLY trams.
    I agree, they are a bit smushed up in the front looking, worse could happen, they could mix up these car sets with the old . :eek:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I agree, they are a bit smushed up in the front looking, worse could happen, they could mix up these car sets with the old . :eek:

The trams are single articulated units; so thats not possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

MYOB wrote: »
    The trams are single articulated units; so thats not possible.
    They could still run them both on the same route, one showing up the ugliness of the other, especially if side by side at a terminus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Ha! :)

I have a Luas book somewhere, must dig it out. I had passed by some of the works recently near Loughlinstown. Are they using that old viaduct? And what will the journey time be like start to finish on the line?

As I understand it the Brides Glen Viaduct will be used when the final (?) Green line extension to Bray/Fassaroe goes ahead.

They could still run them both on the same route, one showing up the ugliness of the other, especially if side by side at a terminus.

This is utterly inevitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭D.L.R.

They're not as pretty as the original ones, but looking across Europe, they're still pretty damn cool ;). There's some right trolleys out there.

They're probably a bit cheaper. Same thing happened with the DARTs. The early 'new' sets had features the later ones didn't, like flush doors and sleeker lines, and the later ones inevitably didn't look as good. Snip snip!

Advertisement