Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driver's License Question...

Options
  • 31-03-2009 12:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Right, I'm a student in Ireland - previously from NI - and hold a NI provisonal license (passed theory test also).

I can drive and all, just never took my driving test as I moved to Ireland and didn't need it. Now I do, and I've applied for the Irish "Learner Permit" just now - got an appointment in a week and a half.

That's great, you say?! Well, **** me: I just discovered that I can't take my driving test until after six months, and that's not good. I had everything lined up perfectly and now they're telling me I have to wait....

It's not like I can't drive!

Will they accept the fact that I have a NI prov, which doesn't really make it my first provisional license?

Otherwise I'll have to cheat the authorities and take my test up north...:mad:

Any advice is much appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

There is absolutely no way around it. Your NI provisional licence isn't valid outside the UK under any circumstances so you must sit out the waiting period or go back north to do the test.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

I'm a student in Ireland - previously from NI

NI stands for the northern part of Ireland, I take it that you are not studying geography. :confused:

If you are a student, with family living in the North, then you are still resident there, education doesn't move residence. So just go and do the test there at your convenience, the only hassle is getting a lesson on the test route etc fitted in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭im_invisible

ardmacha wrote: »
    NI stands for the northern part of Ireland, I take it that you are not studying geography. :confused:
    sorry, but dont you just love people like this?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,783 ✭✭✭SeanW

Your NI provisional is totally useless in the Republic.

You've got two choices:

1. Wait the 6 months to do the test in Ireland, (no guarantee of passing of course) keeping in mind that our driver testing system is a shambles. However, when you pass, you will be able to apply for a full unrestricted license.
    2. Use your family address in Northern Ireland to apply for a driving test there: you will be able to do the test almost at will, but when you pass, your first drivers license will be loaded down with stupid "Restricted Driver" restrictions for a year or two. Getting there and back may also be a pain, depending on how far your school in the Republic is from your family home.
    It's not "cheating" if you take the 2nd option as you are perfectly entitled to do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Might not the restricted aspect of a Northern License prevent him from driving "abroad" anyway?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

It is very much in the OPs interest to do the test in NI and get the licence there, it might even be "cheating" to get one in the South if he is only a student. The R restriction is only effective in NI, it is not enforced elsewhere and the licence has the validity of a normal EU licence. Of course the simplest thing would be to have all licences and their restrictions operate in the same way through Ireland, but this is not the case. At some point the OP may wish to buy a car in NI or even drive one belonging to a relative, the whole VRT thing will be be much simpler if he also has an NI licence.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

corktina wrote: »
    Might not the restricted aspect of a Northern License prevent him from driving "abroad" anyway?

No; the restriction is NI only. In theory I suspect you can move to GB; swap for a GB licence and come home and use it without R plates..

Advertisement