Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Photos from Irelands ports needed!

Options
  • 30-03-2009 10:16pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 17

Hi,

We're currently making a student documentary on the demise of Irelands fishing industry and desperately need some help in getting photos of the ports and harbours around the country.

We would especially be looking for photos that convey the poor state of the ports, the rusting trawlers, and the general desolation...

So if youre in Killybegs, Dunmore East, Kilmore Quay, Downings Bay, Dingle or indeed any harbour town in Ireland and could take a few snaps for us we'd really appreciate it - and we are hoping to get the film into the major film festivals (short documentary category) across Ireland later this year so any successful photographers will receive full credits (great for portfolios or just general claim to fame!)...

Please send photos to:

****Please use the PM facility as we generally prefer email addresses not to be posted here****

or if any further info is needed please pop me a mail...

Many thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

is this what yer looking for
    8e9bdcb6.jpg
    c9a66447.jpg

ah feck it, tinternet is acting the horlicks. Just have a little gander on upthedeise.com and there should be more. Dont be bold and just use em, ua gotta ask lol.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 17 tman76

Hi Seanybiker

The key to the photos is that they need to show the rusting trawlers sitting tied up in the ports think doom and gloom

Ill get one of the lads whos taking photos of the harbours in dublin to put up a few tomorrow and give you more an idea of what were looking for

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Nisio

so the brief is go to a port, ignore all the good stuff and take pictures of the negative stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Sounds typical of any documentary.. Or any arguement...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 EvilGeek

Hi.
    EvilGeek here, otherwise known as Andy. I'm an associate of TMan and have been asked to put some pics up as a rough guide for any budding snappers like myself.
    Here ya go...
    [IMG]file:///C:/Users/Andy%20Hynes/Pictures/Howth%20Documentary/Worked/Ready/Rust%201.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/Andy%20Hynes/Pictures/Howth%20Documentary/Worked/Ready/Rust%201.jpg[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/Users/Andy%20Hynes/Pictures/Howth%20Documentary/Worked/Ready/Rust%201.jpg[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/Users/Andy%20Hynes/Pictures/Howth%20Documentary/Worked/Ready/Rust%201.jpg[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/Users/Andy%20Hynes/Pictures/Howth%20Documentary/Worked/Ready/Rust%201.jpg[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/Users/Andy%20Hynes/Pictures/Howth%20Documentary/Worked/Ready/Rust%201.jpg[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/Users/Andy%20Hynes/Pictures/Howth%20Documentary/Worked/Ready/Rust%201.jpg[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/Users/Andy%20Hynes/Pictures/Howth%20Documentary/Worked/Ready/Rust%201.jpg[/IMG]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

A photographer in Cork did a book on it last year....cant remember the name of the book but the photographers name is Patrick Cummins ....I'm sure a quick google would help find it.

it was something to do with the history of the harbour or something.

I did the quick google myself....... "The last days of the cork docklands" by Patrick Cummins.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭rahtkennades

Nisio wrote: »
    so the brief is go to a port, ignore all the good stuff and take pictures of the negative stuff?

Why not, if the docu is to focus on the negative?

I'm afraid any pics I have are a bit positive for what you're looking for. However iirc Calina is currently doing a series on wrecked boats around the coast. She may be able to offer some advice or assistance?

Edit: I suppose you could have this if you wanted?
    39713A22C7594385934CF757092932BA-240.jpg

Apologies.
    I'm new to Boards. I'm not sure if these images are viewable.
    Could somebody tell if they are or not.
    Cheers

Why not, if the docu is to focus on the negative?

I'm afraid any pics I have are a bit positive for what you're looking for. However iirc Calina is currently doing a series on wrecked boats around the coast. She may be able to offer some advice or assistance?

Edit: I suppose you could have this if you wanted?
    39713A22C7594385934CF757092932BA-240.jpg

Thanks for the tip...how would I get in touch with her (I'm not really a boards expert!)

Nisio wrote: »

Well there used to be alot more good stuff to photograph pre 1973 - in skerries for example youd see 60 - 70 big trawlers docked on a friday morning - now you'd be lucky to see a couple of rusting wrecks bobbing up and down.....

So yes we are looking for specific photos that are able to show the demise of what was once an incredibly buoyant and promising industry....

So if you can help we'd be more than grateful...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

Would photos of rusting trawlers in our ports be typical of the reality I wonder? Not from what I have seen.

What's the documentary about?

The other thing is that these new super trawlers would take up the space of 20 or 30 ordinary trawlers so that could also explain the decrease in numbers?

Just go down and ask the first fisherman you find (if you can find one). They're not going to tell you anything positive.
    The same goes for the West Coast. They've managed to hang onto the industry more than the East but even at that, it's in serious decline.

Just mention the word "Quota" to a fisherman and you'll see where we're coming from on this documentary.

I accept that completely. My only point is that photographs of dilapidated, rusting trawlers is not, from what I have seen, a typical sight. Using such a scene would be slightly melodramatic.

heres one from howth we took the other day....

Mist2011.jpg

I don't want to labour it but that photo doesn't show me anything about rusting, falling apart trawlers. Most (all?) trawlers have an amount of rust on them naturally. The B&W doesn't help in this case.

Valentia wrote: »
    I accept that completely. My only point is that photographs of dilapidated, rusting trawlers is not, from what I have seen, a typical sight. Using such a scene would be slightly melodramatic.

Hi Valentia...

The point is that since joining the EU (EEC) in 1973 we've had our quota steadily reduced and right now we're running at under 4% - which means that 96% of all the fish caught in Irish waters goes to Spain, France, Portugal, Belgium etc...without one cent received in return....

Since 1973 we've received 60 billion euro in total funding from the EU - but since that time 200 billion euro has been takne from our waters in fish stocks- thats a 140 billion euro difference....we are the biggest net contributor in the EU per head of population by a country mile - yet we only ever hear the opposite...

The documentary will give first hand testimonies from Irish fishermen who are being prosecuted for fishing the waters their family have for generations .... and will also show the millions of euros worth of fish Irish fishermen have to dump back into the sea every year for going over their ridiculously low quotas...

Yes you will see beautiful marinas and ports all around Ireland but the fishing industry is what these harbours were built on - not the yachts of the nouveau riche....

Tens of thousands of Irish fishermen have lost their jobs since 1973 and the industry is on its knees...whilst it is of course possible to show the beauty of Irish harbours they are a shadow of what they were in terms of activity a few decades ago...

So from the many ports we've seen and the many lifelong fishermen we've spoken to we know that the angle we're taking on this is far from melodramatic...

I don't want to labour it but that photo doesn't show me anything about rusting, falling apart trawlers. Most (all?) trawlers have an amount of rust on them naturally. The B&W doesn't help in this case.

I agree Id prefer them to be in colour and tomorrow I'll be posting good few photos of what Im talking about...

I'm with you 100% in regard to the way fishing has been compromised and neglected here, Worse even, fishermen have been sold out by the government. I have seen documentaries fall before because the makers were "too" anxious to get their point across. I accept that there may be examples of decrepit trawlers in ports but I have not seen them. I think showing empty ports compared to old photos of full ones would be effective though.

Thats pretty much the route we want to go down - the comparison of - pre 1973 - and post 1973...

I have trawled (excuse the pun ;)) through loads of archives and headlines where in the 50s and 60s Irelands fishing industry was heading for boom time and was seen as the best investment for business peoples money...then post 1973 it was literally a case of "Irelands Fishing Industry on the brink of collapse"....

Youre dead right our Government has sold them out, and rather than us as filmmakers colour peoples judgement we'll let the fishermen talk about it in their own words...

But the comparisons in photos will be very important and the point is - the rusting trawlers are there ...in Howth for example theres about half a dozen trawlers that are birthed permanently, just rusting away - all have been banned from fishing for the most ridiculous of violations - and this is common place all over Ireland...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Have to agree with Valentia on this, there really isn't many rusting boats left around Ireland these days, so to drag up any old picture you can find is hardly a realistic comparison and is only sensationalism

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

Howth

3270865553_346a0bf35b_o.jpg

2116875591_c9796e9b05_o.jpg

Skerries
    143617782_a6b17756a8_o.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Nisio

tman76 wrote: »
    Well there used to be alot more good stuff to photograph pre 1973 - in skerries for example youd see 60 - 70 big trawlers docked on a friday morning - now you'd be lucky to see a couple of rusting wrecks bobbing up and down.....

So yes we are looking for specific photos that are able to show the demise of what was once an incredibly buoyant and promising industry....

So if you can help we'd be more than grateful...

Well you could go down to Grand Canal dock in Dublin and take a picture of the old wooden fishing boat sunk against the quay wall (I think it even has some fishing slogans painted on the wheel house). You'll have to ignore all the work repairing boats going on around it. And walk past the shops operating in a converter ship on the same dock and by the slip that the tourists "viking tours" uses to show off the port. and you're not too far there from the Cill Airne, an old ship that started out in Cork as a tender going in and out to the old cruise ships and was then the training boat for CIT and is now a pretty good resturaunt.

From what I can see the ports aren't as "doom and gloom" as you might make out; not to say that the fishing industry isn't but the use of ports changes over time. I wonder have you come across any ex-fishermen now in the tourisim business?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Wexford - not exactly rust buckets...

1814200834_d403102139_b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

I was in Skerries there on Sunday. I'll have a look through when I get a chance. When's the deadline?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

jools, the Sally Clare is gone from Skerries. In fact, Skerries has been largely cleaned up in the last four or five years and I *think* all the trawlers there currently are working trawlers. Balbriggan, however, could be worth a look. I think most of the trawlers in Howth are in use too, although some of them may only be in use part of the year.

OP, while I laud your enthusiasm, you're asking people to supply with photographs which you will use to put forward a particular point of view. The issue of what has happened the fishing industry is not as straightforward as you paint it...it's worth looking at how the fishing industry in other places has changed also. I know that however much you think it's been decimated in Ireland, it has been even more decimated in Brittany, for example, and I'm pretty sure it was a bigger part of the local industry environment than fishing was here.

I have a few photographs you'd probably be interested in, mainly from Dublin although I think there might be a few from north Kerry and West Cork as well. But as I have some doubts - based on your posts here - about your editorial view point, I'm not going to release them.

And that begs an interesting question - if you're unsure of the editorial view point of someone seeking to use your photos, would you release them anyway?

I don't think I would.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭dr strangelove

This any use?

3341976699_4f0ebacbbf.jpg

or this:

730766744_bed8eb236f.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 trster100

Hows this? Balbriggan Co.Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

I agree.

From my time in the industry this derelection would not be typical. Even the old BIM boat yard in Dingle is gone now and that would have been perfect for your request.

Owners tend not to let the vessels get in a serious state of disrepair any more.

It might be worth a trip around the Southeast this time of year, Dunmore East could be a good location and further along the coast towards the Southwest, taking in Castletownbere, Schull, Baltimore, Portmagee and Dingle, Fenit etc...

I understand what you're looking for but think it may be relatively hard to come across today. Don't neglect the boat yards either as I reckon they'll be your best bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Here's a set I have from Galway Docks-
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/pacork/sets/72157613246173454/

If you want them in larger size (you can download different sizes by clicking on the image) just PM me.

Cheers,
    Pa

• Advertisement
Advertisement