Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aquagenic Pruritus

Options
  • 30-03-2009 10:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭

Hey guys

I'm just wondering if anyone else suffers from a condition called Aquagenic pruritus? I've had the condition since I was about 17 (9 years)

There doesn't seem to be any cure for the condition although some ppl have tried and tested methods for minimising the reaction.

For those of you who don't know what it is, it's basically a skin allergy to water. (Sounds crazy lol) The sufferer reacts to any contact with water - be it shower/bath rain sweat etc. More info on wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aquagenic_pruritus At first I found the condition unbearable. Sometimes it's quite bad but I try to manage as best I can. It can get you down. There's not much known about it and apparently it's hereditary - being adopted means I don't know too much about that aspect of it.

Has anyone else heard of this condition or suffer from it and have any tips? Thanks a million

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭xeroshero

Hey...

Yep, I feel your pain! i nahve started many a topic about this on different forums... Have you been officially diagnosed?

It is hereditary in my case - my Dad and a number fo his sisters suffer from it to some extent, two of my brothers also suffer slightly - I think I have it the worse of them all. My dad used to have it very bad but does not have it so much now.

There are a few things that I find help with this. Firstly, I mainly get it after having a shower - mainly on my legs - they will go absolutely CRAZY itchy! Everyone knows to just avoid me after having a shower! However I find that if I hold the shower head downt o my lesg at the end of the shower and turn it to cold - not unbearably cold but just notable colder than a normal shower and let it run for 5 or 6 secs on teh legs 0 this helsp me enormously once out of the shower. I also find that having a shower etc in a warm room helps - making sure all doors/windows are closed, and stay in the room fo r a few minutes after the shower - just sit wrapped in a towel - allow your skin to adjust to the change in temperature. i think (for me anyway) alot of it ties into the temperature changes aswell as teh actual water...

Another great tip in the hair dryer!!! Yea, turna hair dryer on on a low setting and again apple directly to thelegs - this helps to sooth the itch without tearing you skin off (iIve been there - its not good!) I also find taht putting on trousers helps - my dad ued to find wearing shorts helped - letting the air at the legs but I find the opposite.....

I also find that different weather and different areas/countries has different effects on my skin... I rarely get it when away on hols - I thinkk the sun helps to though. I also find I get it worst towards the end of the summer - as my tan fades (If I manage to get one!lol)

What is you experience of it? I found teh doctor quite useless to be hbonmest (sorry guys!) But I wnt to numerous docs all who knew nothing and had no clue/reason for my dreaded itchy legs! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭lynsalot

Hey yes i was diagnosed when I was 17. It's great someone ELSE actually has it too... If I tell ppl in work or whatever they think I'm crazy and it's such a frustrating condition. I generally find if I keep warm after the shower and cover up with cotton clothes if I have them it's best. I hate doing anything that makes me sweat... I know it sounds terrible but it wrecks my skin. Or if I stay in my husband's parents house they're house is freezing and if an arm or leg is out under the duvet its reefing. So frustrating. You may get up out of the bed because I don't have a hope of going back asleep until it passes.

To be honest I kinda think the less of a big deal I make about it the better it is. most mornings I'm so pre-occupied I try to ignore it and get on with things. Seems worse on the weekends and I don't know why. wonder if it's just that I'm more aware of it??

So your dads seems to have gone away? god hope that's a sign of things to come for all of us all. You know I read an atricle somewhere about a guy who believed his AP was caused by a wheat allergy so i'm saving up to get a proper allergy test done to see if I cut certain things out of my diet if it will improve.

I havn't actually been diagnosed with it - but it complately makes sense - I have spokent o two ro three docs about it - none had an answer for me - likewise for my Dad. His has improved but he still gets it every now and again but he had it very bad for a while a few years back, as did my Aunty.

I have to say its mainly when I get out of the shower taht I would get it the worst - not so much with/for sweat. Its mainly my legs - the odd time my arms will tingle also...

Yea, i totally agree with the "not thinking about it thing" I think he I think about it at all - that's it "its off" amd there is no going back! (Im itching here thinking about it!)

Everyone thinks Im mad too when.if I mention it - I think Im mad at times!lol. Its definitely noty a nice thing to have... :-( I agree also about what you said about a leg or arm sticking out beneath the duvet when it cold! My BF's home house does be freezing and say when Im getting into my PJ's - I have to do it really quickly and jump straight into bed to avoid getting cold and setting it off... That's why I think its all so temp related as much as water related?!

Hey

Just wondered how you shave your legs... weird Question I know. It's just I don't dare shave in the shower it makes the itch ten times worse. So I dry shave with an electric razor but what do u find works for you?

Sorry, just seeing your post now - I shave in the shower, use gilette venus razor - doesn't really seem to affect it in any way to be honest...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

Could it be hard or chlorinated water making it worse ?

bushy... wrote: »
    Could it be hard or chlorinated water making it worse ?

I've looked into this - it does seem to be different when if different places but its very difficult to say because ittends to be kinda sporadic anyway! I find it more weather/temp dependent. I tends to get quite bad for me toward sthe end of the summer (as tan fades maybe...?) So a fun few months ahead of me!

Hey only reading this now. It's definitely affected by temperature also. I go to the gym and pool and sit in the sauna (Alarm bells) and i'm fine. You'd imagine my skin would kick off after the pool anywhere but in the heat it's fine. As soon as I put a towel near me after the shower or go to get changed the skin starts.... right pain in the hole. dread the shower and i've greasy hair so i can't get away with showering every 2 days

u say sporadic?? Do u get it every day i do... sometimes milder than others. lately it's really kicking off. Driving me insane lately.... the other thing is the heat at night time. If i get into bed with anything less than full long legged and long sleeved pj's i'm itching after ten minutes.

and with that i'm off to bed with all the windows open lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 a_tw

Hi, just wondering if anyone has found any remedies....
    There are not many people affected by this, but it seems to be that the number is increasing, like Michaela Dutton and Lisa Melland from the UK. After different treatments they have not found any cure so far either.
    I don't know who I can talk to as GP's only laught at this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 dattsbud

I also am a sufferer of AP. Started when I was 21. Grew up on the easy coast of Aus so you can imagine how devastating it was to discover that swimming in the ocean would send me into suicidal periods of intense pain and itching. I'm 39 now and don't suffer anywhere near as bad but I have been living in ireland for 6 yrs. I agree with all above posts.
    For me hot showers, no soap but have found Dove has a moisturing shower gel I can use (never on arms or legs) and I always finish shower with a rinse of oil. In Aus, alpha keri oil; in ireland oilatum. Alpha keri works better but can't get it here.
    I haven't shaved my legs in almost 8 years and I have had every allergy test and diet to no avail. No one can pin point the triggers. I know from experience how to AVOID an attack but sometimes it just happens. Like today, I'm sitting still, in my pj's, haven't moved for half an hour and all of a sudden the back of my thighs became really itchy. They're easing off but it sends me crazy to know why it happens!!
    I have a friend in immunology who had passed my case onto a colleague. Hopefully one day I can get some relief! And I pray my kids never get it. No one in my family has it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement