Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you crying?

Options
  • 30-03-2009 4:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭

I was digging the garden at the front of my house this afternoon. There is a primary school about fifty yards away. Parked outside my house was a BMW M5 and a Toyota Land Cruiser, with other expensive vehicles all along the street waiting to collect the children. When the cars had cleared off three young boys walking home from school, aged about ten years, looked into the garden.

I had a garden fork in my hand, I had dug about thirty square yards of soil, the sun was shining. One of the boys asked "What are you doing?" Reply "I'm digging my garden". Next question "Are you crying?" Reply "No, I'm sweating".

He was not being smart. I guessed he had never seen someone digging a garden, and was unfamiliar with sweat.

Kids of today and all that, blah, blah. But this shocked me.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Captain-America

What possessed you to make a thread about this?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,231 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

"The Crying Game?"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭Sean Quagmire

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,449 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Probably hadnt heard you the first time :pac:

EDIT: They werent originally by different posters!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

what possessed you to dup another poster?

Stung!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

You've found you're internet dopleganger!

Edit : Note to self, post quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

you've got more than 30square yards of soil to dig?? yes yes i am crying...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Not crying, but I am sure their inability to distinguish between sweating and crying has nothing to do with their experiences of hard work. It's a simple misconception I guess... Maybe you actually looked like you were crying?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Captain-America

what possessed you to dup another poster?

:pac:

ok im done

Sorry, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭Sean Quagmire

antodeco wrote: »
    Stung!! :D

Actualy Captain america posted it twice then as a joke I put the line in for a third time.
    then captain america took out his mistake, making me look like a foolish fool :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭consultech

yes, yes I am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Why did I make a thread about this? I think children are being shielded from real life and are not getting the experience they need.

Later, at about 15:40 the whole 300 yards of the road was blocked with vehicles as parents drove their children home. It is a dry, sunny day. I'm sure most live within walking distance. They would learn more walking home, chatting to their friends, and seeing the neighbourhood.

If a child does not know that effort produces sweat does that not seem odd to you? I felt like telling him my pet elephant had died and I was burying it in the front garden. He was so naive he might have believed me. Of course the recent financial troubles would suggest that naivety is inherited from the parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Agamemnon

Admit it, OP, you were crying, you big baby. Man up FFS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

kincsem wrote: »
    One of the boys asked "What are you doing?" Reply "I'm digging my garden". Next question "Are you crying?" Reply "No, I'm sweating".

They were deeply afraid because a strange, profusely sweating adult, armed with a pitchfork, was standing in a garden, muttering and staring at them leaving school.

The rhetorical question Are you crying was just a diversionary tactic as they got ready to flee in terror.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

You were chopping onions outside right?

The thought did cross my mind that if that soft kid had ambitions to play for Manchester United he could - on the XBox.

On daffodil day four teenagers were collecting at the local shopping center so I handed over a €20 note and said "take €5 out of that". I got €5 change. Wake up children. I was sweating there as well. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

fair enough but why did you call it are you crying?

Actualy Captain america posted it twice then as a joke I put the line in for a third time.
    then captain america took out his mistake, making me look like a foolish fool :(

Until i see facts, I will be watching you!!

\o/

• Advertisement

fair enough but why did you call it are you crying?

That was what the young lad asked me.
    Sweat on my forehead might have been a clue that I was sweating.

Clues:
    Garden fork in hand: Large area of soil dug: Sunny day: Sweat on forehead: Sweat on face: Sweat on shirt

Questions:
    What are you doing? I'm digging my garden.
    Are you crying? No, I'm sweating.

He might get a job with the Garda detective bureau when he grows up.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

The correct answer was "real men don't cry"

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Sounds plausible. ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 633 ✭✭✭dublinario

Piste wrote: »
    The correct answer was "real men don't cry"

I bawled like a schoolgirl when Ireland went out of the 2002 world cup. I'm also still haunted by the death of Mufasa in The Lion King, and often wake up in the middle of the night drenched in what I hope is tears and sweat.

Advertisement