Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Odd concessions from old atheists

Options
  • 30-03-2009 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭

Imagine a world without religion, what would we lose? How would we lose it exactly? I spend most of days now interacting with people who have no interest in religion. They are artists, scholars, IT engineers - all walks of life. I gotta tell you I haven't seen the fabric of society collapse in these particular people’s worlds, or mine! Yet when watching one of our hard-line atheist’s stalwarts such as Hitchens or Dawkins I am always surprised to hear somber acknowledgements that there still is some value to religious continuation and integration into society. Perhaps an alternative stance on the matter would mean having to endlessly defend the complicated idea of mass morality without a predefined social construct such as religion. Or maybe it's just that the notion that completely removing religion from society is too powerful and there is a disingenuous recognition from both parties that subject should not be entertained, the 'don't even go there' complex.
    Some atheists tend to value religion as a valid functioning part of society in the following way:
    It provides meaning and hope for people who will never have the courage or ability to attain any other form of hope or meaning anywhere else. Therefore it is of some value, even if that value is false. Essentially the argument boils down the idea that 'people are stupid' and removing religion from them might actually be dangerous, the general ignorance ineptitude of the masses to overcome their superstition is the main obstacle it seems in attaining a scholarly (from both sides) agreement about the removal religion from society.

A priest asked me the last week what I thought religion was actively contributing to society (apart from war, superstition, oppression and general backwardness? I thought) but I said 'nothing that we couldn't have without its existence'. He mentioned 3 inept arguments

1. Religous art
    2. Morality
    3. Meaning of life

I said that there would almost certainly have been equivalents to religious art had reliogn never existed and I quoted Dawkins' line that 'we will never know what Haydens evolution oratorio or Beethoven’s Mesozoic Symphony might have sounded like....he didn't get that. And in terms of morality I said that it was clear that there was an evolutionary advantage in having a morality that lengthened ones existence on earth and I finished with that old chestnut that life has no meaning (eek! he didnay like that) except what we make of it and that we should stop seeing ourselves as the center of something.

So what do you guys think? I'd be a bit more of a fundamentalist on this which ironically means that I would have more hope in humanity than most.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

stevejazzx wrote: »
    or Beethoven’s Mesozoic Symphony might have sounded like....

this

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,170 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Galvasean wrote: »

I'd forgotten what a damn fine piece of music that was, shivers down my spine and I'm 10 years old again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

We'd lose a bunch of stuff and gain a bunch of other stuff. We can never know if Beethoven's Humanism est Glorificus would have been the most beautiful piece of music that humanity has produced, nor can we know if anything akin to the cathedrals of Europe would have been built.

That said, talented people will always do amazing things, and artists are always looking for inspiration. Some find it in religion, but most I think find it in the natural world or within themselves.

I just remembered a song by Muse, called Glorious. I always find that line "We too could be glorious" to be quite a humanist notion (ignore the visuals, it's from some crappy computer game ^_^):

As for morality and meaning of life; feh, I'm not getting into that argument again.

Also without religion we'd have had no Dark Ages and I could be flying through space in my immortal nanite cloud body right now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭gaynorvader

Religion is quite possibly the reason we have society today. Forget morality and go back to the collapse of the Roman empire. Assuming you're a noble, how were you going to get your peasents to put up with horrific working conditions, giving the produce of their labour to you and fighting/dying for you? Easy, cost-effective answer? Religion! Of course nowadays it seems largely pointless, but I don't believe humanity is quite ready to survive without it. If religion were to be suddenly cut off it could have terrible consequences. I think it'd be better for it to fade to obscurity before any proof on the God dilema is provided by science. Imagine what would happen, even if one religion were to be proven right!

Religion is quite possibly the reason we have society today. Forget morality and go back to the collapse of the Roman empire. Assuming you're a noble, how were you going to get your peasents to put up with horrific working conditions, giving the produce of their labour to you and fighting/dying for you? Easy, cost-effective answer? Religion!

Well, first of all one can use armies, economics and social control to make the peasants do what one wants. Aside from that, even if we accept your argument that religion is necessary to control the peasants...surely that just means that without it the peasants would have rebelled and we'd have entered the democratic age, and it's technological and societal benefits, much sooner?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

is there really any piont in obsesing over this? does anybody honestly think that once we've done away with all this religion malarkey that we'll all suddenly become intallectuals and physicists(sp.?), and discover new scientific breakthroughs and live in a utopia?:rolleyes:
    it'll probably never happen, but if religion of all kinds was done away with, people would find another handy excuse to kill each other & impose their will on the populace. to think otherwise is dillusional.:D

is there really any piont in obsesing over this?

Welcome to boards.ie, here we like to discuss topics of interest. I'm sure you'll fit right in.
    does anybody honestly think that once we've done away with all this religion malarkey that we'll all suddenly become intallectuals and physicists(sp.?), and discover new scientific breakthroughs and live in a utopia?:rolleyes:

No, of course not. I think if we did away with religion we'd have a great deal more (useful*) intellectuals and physicists and therefore have more wonderful scientific breakthroughs, like usable fusion, stem cell therapy and quantum computing.
    it'll probably never happen, but if religion of all kinds was done away with, people would find another handy excuse to kill each other & impose their will on the populace. to think otherwise is dillusional.:D

People will always treat other people badly, but that's not to say we'll have as much killing and will-imposing.

*I don't consider an expert in, say, theology or biblical studies to be a useful intellectual

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Rockshamrover

"No, of course not. I think if we did away with religion we'd have a great deal more (useful*) intellectuals and physicists and therefore have more wonderful scientific breakthroughs, like usable fusion, stem cell therapy and quantum computing."

I don't see the connection between scientific breakthroughs and wether or not the society you live in is religious. Take the USSR during 60 odd years of communism. What major scientific things happened? Compare that to what was happening in the west.

I think the biggest stimulus for scientific breakthrough is funding. Hence most of the major leaps forward are from the west.

Religion never really got in the way, if anything it probably helped in that scientists would have a starting point to work from. ie flat earth, earth as the centre of the universe. The age of the earth etc.

I don't see the connection between scientific breakthroughs and wether or not the society you live in is religious. Take the USSR during 60 odd years of communism. What major scientific things happened? Compare that to what was happening in the west.

Whatever benefits they may have had from a secular mentality were entirely countered by the fact that they were living in a nightmarish authoritarian communist state.
    I think the biggest stimulus for scientific breakthrough is funding. Hence most of the major leaps forward are from the west.

Yes, funding is extremely important. A free market democracy encourages private enterprise, which is often a great source of scientific breakthroughs.
    Religion never really got in the way, if anything it probably helped in that scientists would have a starting point to work from. ie flat earth, earth as the centre of the universe. The age of the earth etc.

Ahaha, sure. Not only did Christianity fail to salvage the knowledge of the classical era, they actively suppressed and destroyed that fine legacy. What eventually began the current age was the enlightenment when people began rejecting superstition and religious domination in favour of rationalism.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

Zillah wrote: »
    We'd lose a bunch of stuff ......

What stuff would we lose that we couldn't replace or emulate?
    Religion is quite possibly the reason we have society today. Forget morality and go back to the collapse of the Roman empire. Assuming you're a noble, how were you going to get your peasents to put up with horrific working conditions, giving the produce of their labour to you and fighting/dying for you? Easy, cost-effective answer? Religion! Of course nowadays it seems largely pointless, but I don't believe humanity is quite ready to survive without it. If religion were to be suddenly cut off it could have terrible consequences. I think it'd be better for it to fade to obscurity before any proof on the God dilema is provided by science. Imagine what would happen, even if one religion were to be proven right!

Yes but that (religion) is hardly the only way we could've arrived at modern society with, broadly speaking, good moral behaviour. Evolution has shown us that moral code has been hardwired into our genetic make up over millions of years, therefroe we would've arrived in more or less the same place morally despite our social constructs, look at the fall of communism for example.

Ahaha, sure. Not only did Christianity fail to salvage the knowledge of the classical era, they actively suppressed and destroyed that fine legacy. What eventually began the current age was the enlightenment when people began rejecting superstition and religious domination in favour of rationalism.

Yes exactly. Relgion has never done anything except stifle progress. All the benefits it has bestowed upon societies (which are questionable) could have easily been emulated by different social construcsts - ones wihtout the baggage that relgion carries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Goduznt Xzst

without religion? well the proletariat would be in a constant state of discord and anarchy, being controlled only by draconian laws forced upon them.

Seriously though, it's kind of a moot point. The society we have now has been influenced largely by Religion. I don't think its easily possible to imagine what society would look like without it, how we might be better or how we might be worse.

To be perfectly honest, I don't think religion is the largest problem with this world, the capitalist social classes are, and with the coming death of a large portion of the middle classes thanks to this economic downturn things are only going to get a helluvalot worse for those at the bottom before it gets better. My problem with Religion is that it fools the people at the bottom into being happy to be there.

without religion? well the proletariat would be in a constant state of discord and anarchy, being controlled only by draconian laws forced upon them.

The proposition is, in theory, to remove religion and replace with a more sensible social construct, one which emulates the good parts and throws out the lunacy. So this meltdown of social fabric does not happen.
    Seriously though, it's kind of a moot point. The society we have now has been influenced largely by Religion. I don't think its easily possible to imagine what society would look like without it, how we might be better or how we might be worse.

Why? As I said religion plays less and less a part of my life and the lives of people around me. There is no meltdown.
    To be perfectly honest, I don't think religion is the largest problem with this world, the capitalist social classes are, and with the coming death of a large portion of the middle classes thanks to this economic downturn things are only going to get a helluvalot worse for those at the bottom before it gets better. My problem with Religion is that it fools the people at the bottom into being happy to be there.

I'm sure you must have other problems with religion. And I more than agree with you about capitalism in principle even though there is no deadbolt dogma associated with it however religion is clearly, for me, the largest obstacle to social and moral progression and it is also a model that can replicated in part wihtout it's delusions.

What stuff would we lose that we couldn't replace or emulate?

I didn't specify that we'd lose anything we couldn't replace. I said we'd lose a bunch of stuff and gain a bunch of stuff. I also said that we can never know if we'd gain more/better than we lost.

I didn't specify that we'd lose anything we couldn't replace.

Good, for a minute there I thought you were stepping out of line..:)

stalin.jpg

stalin.jpg

Right I'm sending you to the boards' equivelant of the Gulag - the AH forum - you must post there forever on subjects like - 'your ma', and 'are gay polish peolpe really lizards'?

Well, first of all one can use armies, economics and social control to make the peasants do what one wants. Aside from that, even if we accept your argument that religion is necessary to control the peasants...surely that just means that without it the peasants would have rebelled and we'd have entered the democratic age, and it's technological and societal benefits, much sooner?

Interesting point, but would we have had the agricultural base needed to begin our rapid technilogical advances? Again, I'm not saying that religion is still as useful as it was, but I believe it was a necessary step in our advancement as a race.

I'm not quite sure I'm following your connection between religion and agriculture?

I'm not quite sure I'm following your connection between religion and agriculture?

Convincing the peasants that they should focus on agriculture because resorting to being bandits or rebelling against your lord is not what God wants.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Convincing the peasants that they should focus on agriculture because resorting to being bandits or rebelling against your lord is not what God wants.

Wouldn't teh peasants stick with agriculture in order to feed themselves and y'know, not die?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Phototoxin

Right I'm sending you to the boards' equivelant of the Gulag - the AH forum - you must post there forever on subjects like - 'your ma', and 'are gay polish peolpe really lizards'?

Yes, yore ma is indeed a gay polish lizard person.

That is all.

Galvasean wrote: »
    Wouldn't teh peasants stick with agriculture in order to feed themselves and y'know, not die?

Good point, but they'd probably only grow enough to feed themselves instead of growing the huge amounts required by the lords for their armies, feasts and in case of a seige.

I think you're being a little simplistic here. Any sort of social upheaval is going to be...well, an upheaval. Yeah there might be food shortages, burning towns and collapsing infrastructure. Look at the French Revolution as a sample study perhaps...

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Tyler MacDurden

Also without religion we'd have had no Dark Ages and I could be flying through space in my immortal nanite cloud body right now :(

Reading this put me in mind of one of my favourite passages from Carl Sagan's Cosmos

(On the triumph of superstition over rationality)
    If the Ionian spirit had won, I think we - a different 'we' of course - might now be venturing to the stars. Our first survey ships to Alpha Centauri and Barnard's Star, Sirius and Tau Ceti would have returned long ago. Great fleets of interstellar transports would be under construction in Earth orbit - unmanned survey ships, liners for immigrants, immense trading ships to plow the seas of space.

On all these ships there would be symbols and writing. If we looked closely, we might see that the language was Greek. And perhaps the symbol on the bow of one of the first starships would be a dodecahedron, with the inscription 'Starship Theodorus of the Planet Earth.'

Cosmos, p.237.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Reading this put me in mind of one of my favourite passages from Carl Sagan's Cosmos

(On the triumph of superstition over rationality)

I think Sagan's imagination has slightly romanticised things. Considering the position of Aristotle and other Ionians on slavery, it is more likely that we poor sods that are non-Greeks would be the galley slaves on those interstellar ships if the Ionian spirit had won.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Tyler MacDurden

PDN wrote: »
    I think Sagan's imagination has slightly romanticised things. Considering the position of Aristotle and other Ionians on slavery, it is more likely that we poor sods that are non-Greeks would be the galley slaves on those interstellar ships if the Ionian spirit had won.

Some commentators, including the man himself, concurred. The vast slave populations of the ancient world were a hindrance to an (otherwise rather likely) early Industrial Revolution. Of course, who's to say an emancipation wouldn't also have happened earlier in a rational world? The many examples of 'freedmen' rising to positions of influence could be seen as a nascent step in that direction.

Anyhow, are we off-topic yet? :D

Who's to say what might have changed in over two thousand years of societal development? Greeks already had the basics of democracy in place, and if we're where we are now after centuries of feudal society then I think it's a reasonable proposition that a neo-Greek culture could have made similar advances.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Rockshamrover

Who's to say what might have changed in over two thousand years of societal development? Greeks already had the basics of democracy in place, and if we're where we are now after centuries of feudal society then I think it's a reasonable proposition that a neo-Greek culture could have made similar advances.

Forgive my ignorance on this subject ( I know next to nothing about Greek history) but did the Greeks not have religion of some sort?

I think the rather ambiguous alternative universe that we're discussing is one where religion rapidly vanished around 0AD, Jesus was never born and the Greeks continued their scientific advances...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Goduznt Xzst

Why? As I said religion plays less and less a part of my life and the lives of people around me. There is no meltdown.

I am not really postulating the slow loss of interest in organized religion. More the consequences on society of there having never been a large organized religion or any at all. It is fairly difficult to imagine because we exist in a culture that is largely derived from religious influences. Could we be better now? maybe, maybe we might be exploring the stars. Might we of killed ourselves off a long time ago? It's a possibility also.

I would agree that organized religion needs to be phased out of society, but in the vacuum what replaces it? I think it is better that we create a society first that no longer needs any dogmatic religions and let it die off naturally. The fact that so many people still cling to their beliefs so vehemently shows we have not got there yet.

As long as man lives to repress and live off the lives of the less fortunate, the less fortunate will have religion.
    we poor sods that are non-Greeks would be the galley slaves on those interstellar ships if the Ionian spirit had won.

Have you not watched Wall-E? duh, robot slaves? It would be a sight better than the 3rd world cotton mills, sweat shops, and rubbish dumps that we live off the products of now. I mean who really cares where their runners or T-Shirts come from as long as they are cheap right?

Advertisement