Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkee/Doonbeg

Options
  • 30-03-2009 3:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭

Heading to Clare in 2weeks just wanna know if there is any beaches that rent out boards and wetsuits?? just complete beginners and dont have any gear but looking to get out on the water maybe get a lesson or two but avoiding lahinch because too expensive....

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭mac123

i think lahinch is the only place really. doonbeg definately doesnt do rentals, you have to cross a golf course to get there!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Fanore would be an option, there's a little surf school/shop there but I'm not sure if they're open at this time of year.

http://www.surfschool.tv/

I'm not sure if you'll do better than Lahinch tbh, there are a good few shops/schools there so I would assume that the competition means they're not any more expensive than the rest of Clare. Try http://www.benssurfclinic.com/ - got a lesson from him before, the price was very reasonable so maybe his rental prices are too.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭loctite

No surf lessons in Kilkee or Doonbeg except during the summer, even at that it is still the same crew from Lahinch. (Although if you contacted Lahinch Surf school they may have something planned for outside Lahinch for Easter)

There is a surf shop in Spanish point (well at least there was about 6 months ago) who may also provide lessons.

But would have to agree with above. Private Lessons with Bens surf Clinic or Lahinch... bit of a trek to Fanore from Kilkee.

Only place I know that does rentals is Ocean Scene in Lahinch. But get a lesson first.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Decos

There is a surf shop in Spanish point
    really? where?

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭loctite

Decos wrote: »
    really? where?

If you head from spanish point beach toward the Miltown - Lahinch Road.
    then head back toward Miltown and its on that road close to the town...

A more accuarate location would prob be Milltown Malbay... but sure they'e both the same place, right???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

cheers for all the input will orb head off to lahinch then sometime after the bank holiday weekend. cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

cornbb wrote: »
    Fanore would be an option, there's a little surf school/shop there but I'm not sure if they're open at this time of year.

http://www.surfschool.tv/

I'm not sure if you'll do better than Lahinch tbh, there are a good few shops/schools there so I would assume that the competition means they're not any more expensive than the rest of Clare. Try http://www.benssurfclinic.com/ - got a lesson from him before, the price was very reasonable so maybe his rental prices are too.

I'd recommend doing your lessons at Fanore, it's not too far from Lahinch (the drive is worth it anyway) and Peter is good, I've had lessons from him before. Nice beginner beach too, about 40minutes (Ithink) from Lahinch and just over an hour from Galway (although traffic, tour buses etc) can add a bit onto this.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Lahinch is a great starter beach, I would highly recommend it. The green room (I think) is there that hires out boards and suits and also gives lessons.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Decos

Oh right ted, ive never really been around miltown much coz we usually dont go through it but ill look out for it next time.
    and just over an hour from Galway (although traffic, tour buses etc) can add a bit onto this.
    Christ i was coming from galway one day and was going for a surf at lahinch so instead of taking the usual route via ennis i decided to turn off at kilcolgan and take the coastal road to lahinch....never again. Painful way to go, terrible road and any bit of traffic will clog it up bigtime. Headwreck

Advertisement