Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hacker Spaces

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Guess what ? :)
    It's going to happen.

http://hackerspaces.org/wiki/TOG
    Watch the videos
    The next meeting will be on Thursday 9th of April from 7pm in the lobby bar of the Alexander Hotel on Fenian Street near the Merrion Square.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

That actually looks kind of cool. If anyone makes the meeting, let us know how you get on.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

cool idea, be nice to see if it worked here..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

I'd be really interested but not on a Thurs for meetings... I'm located n the midlands!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

When the centre is setup 24/7 access will be possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

When the centre is setup 24/7 access will be possible.

Are you taking part?
    I'll give it a think. Ideally somewhere to work on larger routing/switching labs and build firewalls would be good for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Any movement on this. Me and a buddy have just finished building a workshop...

At Thursdays meeting the constitution was adopted. There are enough paid up members to rent a suitable start up space so it's just a matter of finding the right one.

http://www.tog.ie is being setup
    The next meeting will be on Thursday 7th of May from 7pm. Details to follow.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

The thought of hackerspace is an interesting one, but anyone interested in a midlands hackerspace. The convienence of trying to get to and around Dublin is a nightmare. Athlone is a good location and not because I'm from Athlone, I only suggest this because it's central to most towns in the midlands and there's tons of locations around town to setup one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Damo1174

No dublins better.... its the capital. Pretty much everybody knows it and its easy to get to (no matter what part of the ountry your in), you have any amount of hotels from cheap to expensive.

And before you say it.... no im not from dublin. From dundalk. its about an hour away. I just think Dublin is the best spot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

im so happy this exists now, ive been waiting for something like this for quite a while. Im going to the next meeting , see how it works out

• Registered Users Posts: 32 tdr

im so happy this exists now, ive been waiting for something like this for quite a while. Im going to the next meeting , see how it works out

good to here , we have moved into to our new space , and should be open to viewing at our next meeting

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

How is this working out? Has anyone been?

Silverfish wrote: »
    How is this working out? Has anyone been?

Its working out great . We have around 24 people in TOG, We have two weekly event nights , Micro-controller Mondays and Coding Wednesdays more info @ tog.ie , contact us if you want to come along to a night or see the space.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭techguy

This is cool..

I'm definitely getting involved when I get back up to Dublin in September.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

tdr wrote: »
    Its working out great . We have around 24 people in TOG, We have two weekly event nights , Micro-controller Mondays and Coding Wednesdays more info @ tog.ie , contact us if you want to come along to a night or see the space.

great to hear that it's going well. Be good to see some sample projects and stuff up on the site too..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Can you come down to this as a total novice, even just to watch and learn?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭conchubhar1

TÓG is pronounced tow-g but in one sylable

it is not tog - as the people who set this up (2600?) have used an irish word it would be great if it was pronounced right

does my head in - great idea tho! :)

The group is called TOG not TÓG ,Tóg,tog,Tog
    This is the name that was picked .It was decided early on to be TOG.
    As you can see on http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055469296 and TOG.ie
    TÓG is pronounced tow-g but in one sylable

it is not tog - as the people who set this up (2600?) have used an irish word it would be great if it was pronounced right

does my head in - great idea tho! :)

You can come and visit the space , get in contact by using http://www.tog.ie/?page_id=52 beforehand.
    ShooterSF wrote: »
    Can you come down to this as a total novice, even just to watch and learn?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,811 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

Hey tdr,

What's involved in join TOG?
    tdr wrote: »
    You can come and visit the space , get in contact by using http://www.tog.ie/?page_id=52 beforehand.

BOFH_139 wrote: »
    Hey tdr,

What's involved in join TOG?

Hey BOFH_139, We find its best for a person to come to the space a few times, to get a feel for the space and the group. To join TOG is simple just fill out a membership form , you will need to two full members to sign the form for you too. More info at http://www.tog.ie/faq/

Have a look at the home page http://www.tog.ie/ for group nights and workshops.

There was a nice mix of visitors for the recent Electronic Fashion workshop. Next one will be a soldering workshop.

There are classes in various things being organised too.

From the FAQ
    Can I attend a group night even though I’m not a paying member of TOG?
    Of course you can, we only ask that you contact us before hand so we can judge numbers that will be attending the group

Group nights
    MON * October 26, 2009
    o Microcontroller Night at 7:00 pm
    TUE * October 27, 2009
    o Web Development Night at 7:00 pm
    WED * October 28, 2009
    o Programming Night at 7:00 pm

• Registered Users Posts: 8,811 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

Anybody from TOG going to 26c3 this year?

BOFH_139 wrote: »
    Anybody from TOG going to 26c3 this year?

There are 5 or 6 members from TOG going to 26c3.

Advertisement