Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

planer blade sharpening in dublin

Options
  • 30-03-2009 2:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭

Anybody know where to get planar/thicknesser blades sharpened in Dublin or by mail in Ireland? I know that it can be done yourself but I have also heard horror stories about it not being done correctly and the blades not being properly balanced and the machine basically tearing itself apart. I know that is the extreme end of the spectrum but I'm not sure if I am willing to take the risk. Lots of places in the states do it but is there any where more local?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

It would probably be as cheap to buy a new set ennisa,I think for a double blade set it's around €25-30 in Mcquillans. In terms of balance if you sharpen yourself,wouldn't that problem arise if the blades were not set up properly rather than being sharpened properly. I saw a guide on line somewhere just using a stick and pencil to align the blades properly,although I haven't done it yet,it looked fairly straight forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭ennisa

Dubtom,
    Your probably right, it would probably cost the best part of €30 for a sharpening anyway.
    The balance problem can arise if you don't remove the same amount of material from each blade. It may seem like a small thing but at 8000rpm this can go wrong very quickly. Basically they have to be sharpened as a matched set so to speak. I'll have a look in McQuillans and see what they have in there.

Thanks for the reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Is that for your Fox P/T Ennisa? Getting much use out of it? I havent got to use mine all that mine yet, just the odd few bits and pieces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

Carbide Tools in Coolock also sharpen
    http://www.carbide.ie/

Could try City Saw Services either

Company City Saw Services Limited
    Contact James Murphy
    Address Aughrim Lane
    Aughrim Street
    Dublin 7
    Telephone 01 8383935
    Fax 01 8383119

I have used both

croppy,
    It is indeed, the blades in no way need to be sharpened yet, i'm just planning ahead. I have put about 30 or 40 feet of pine, red oak and white oak through it and it has been fantastic. Having done it by hand for a while it's like magic when after 5 minutes on the planer it's flat and square. It just makes me smile every time :) I love working with hand tools and if i had to keep doing it that way i would but i just don't have the time to dedicate to it and i would rather get on with the enjoyment of actually building something rather than being put off the hobby altogether because i have to spend two weeks worth of the free time i have getting things flat and square. Sure it's noisy and dusty and it doesn't soothe my soul but then again neither does getting frustrated with it all and jacking it in!

Thanks Carlow, Coolock is just up the road from me, I am from there originally. I'll give them a shout and see what kind of prices they have.

Take care.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Have used Ccarbide Tools , excellent finish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

I got a few sets of TC blades in clearys Kilcock for 9 euro a pair. Last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭S.L.F

galwayrush wrote: »
    Have used Ccarbide Tools , excellent finish.

+1

Cheers All.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭les45

Try Saw and Tool , they are at the back of the Red Cow Inn .

John

• Advertisement

Cabide.ie charge €0.55 per inch so two 8 inch blades work out at €9 (inc vat) so i can get them sharpened, say, 4 times before I have paid the same as a new set of blades from rutlands.

Not sure how to work out the best plan there. They are very handy though as they are just around the corner from my parents house.

Advertisement