Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wheatabix in Spar

Options
  • 30-03-2009 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭

That good (ish) deal of 12 Wheatabix for a €1 is gone in Spar. Was in this morning to pick up a pack.

"That'll be €1.74 please"
    "Oh, it says they're a euro"
    "No, that's over, there €1.74"
    "But they're clearly displayed as costing a euro"
    "Yeah but I say they're €1.74"
    "I want my money back"
    "I'll get you the manager"

Manager looked at me like I'd two heads because I was asking to pay the advertised price as opposed to they 'new' price. She 'allowed' me the refund.

:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Sign is invitation to treat, they don't have to sell it at €1, but you could still report it to the ASA, etc and they can be done for false advertising
    If you had completed the transaction, then kicked up a stink, they would be legally required to refund the diff
    The guys in these places might play dumb, but they are very shrewd, they keep the signs up, and because alot of people will be buying it with other stuff and they don't give a receipt unless you ask, most of the time they get away with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

That good (ish) deal of 12 Wheatabix for a €1 is gone in Spar. Was in this morning to pick up a pack.

"That'll be €1.74 please"
    "Oh, it says they're a euro"
    "No, that's over, there €1.74"
    "But they're clearly displayed as costing a euro"
    "Yeah but I say they're €1.74"
    "I want my money back"
    "I'll get you the manager"

Manager looked at me like I'd two heads because I was asking to pay the advertised price as opposed to they 'new' price. She 'allowed' me the refund.

:confused:
    Spar and similar londis, centra are all scum rip off merchants

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

[quote=Rusty Cogs 08;59614954
    Manager looked at me like I'd two heads because I was asking to pay the advertised price as opposed to they 'new' price. She 'allowed' me the refund.:confused:[/quote]

In principal, I would not shop there again if I were you OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Rusty Cogs 08

I hear you. Unfortunately it's the nearest shop by a stretch. It'll be essentials from now on for that pile of sloblock.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

I hear you. Unfortunately it's the nearest shop by a stretch. It'll be essentials from now on for that pile of sloblock.

In that case, make them earn their money. Be a proper &itch/&ollox question everything, if an item is not clearly priced, make a fuss and ask the manager to tell you the price and to explain why the particular item is not clearly priced.

Always ask for a receipt, AFAIK your legally entitled to one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Blue_Wolf

Sign is invitation to treat, they don't have to sell it at €1

Yes but when the customer came in specifically for it. Was their a deadline advertised on radio/tv. The retailer has as much right to refuse to sell to someone as does the Customer have the right to refuse to buy.
    The OP was stating that it's advertised as 1euro to see if the store had the curtosy to honour their advertisments. Not the customers fault that Jimmy was to lazy to take it down and put up the new pricing. As a store manager myself out of curtousy I would have sold it at the price advertised and in some cases have had to discount stuff down 30-50euro. So how hard is it to do it with 74c and have that customer come back in the future as he/she was treated well there before.
    I agree with the OP on this one. Although not entitled to it but has a right to challenge the store :D

mcwhirter wrote: »
    Spar and similar londis, centra are all scum rip off merchants

They are convenience stores, you pay for the convenience.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

When the shop said that will be €1.74, the OP has the option to walk away and not proceed with the transaction. But it is sneaky on the part of the shop and they should be reported (whatever good that will do):rolleyes:

When the shop said that will be €1.74, the OP has the option to walk away and not proceed with the transaction. But it is sneaky on the part of the shop and they should be reported (whatever good that will do):rolleyes:

Sneaky? More than likely it was not done on purpose. Just didn't get around to changing the prices.

Edit: Also what is the point of reporting it over one incident? Like it's only 74c, granted its principal for the OP and that's
    fair enough. But who you going to report it to? they won't care! You report the store for negligence over the space
    of 6months for the same issue. And explain that you have had words with the manager a few times than report.

Thats the sad attitude that is rife in the retail sector.."its only 74c".:rolleyes:..correct..absolutely not the point..and as for "forgetting" to change prices bull****..pull the other one..

Everyone has examples of shops being less than strict with their pricing...like the little cornor shop next to me which has no prices listed anywhere..and the hag behind the counter has tried to short change me several times.

I point it out to her and get the whole "God where is my head today...". No mistake..she knows damn well what she is doing...

But I guess it was "only" 20c each time that it shldnt matter or bother going back to her...

Like when a slice pan and 2 litre milk came to €5.10..!!! I dont go in there anymore and only buy the paper there and thats when the try to short change me...they assume that I wont check my change and just put it in my pocket..

And these same shops are the first out complaining when everyone shops in the local Tesco...:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Blue_Wolf wrote: »
    Sneaky? More than likely it was not done on purpose. Just didn't get around to changing the prices.

Possible I suppose. My local SuperValue also does this frequently. Now I still use them only for Milk & Bread and emergency stuff. For everything else I use the more efficient non convenience shops that manage to get around to changing their prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭here.from.day.1

More of an inconvenience. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

so what you are saying is that they can advertise an item for 1ct and sell it at the checkout for "haha got you!" 100 euro?!?!

so what you are saying is that they can advertise an item for 1ct and sell it at the checkout for 100 euro?!?!

What I am saying is...OP would have seen the different price come up on the till and they have the option not to buy it. Notwithstanding any Consumer legislation that may have violated.

A few people where I live are old pensioners and londis is their local shop and they haven't any way of travelling to the cheaper shops. It isn't fair on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

A few people where I live are old pensioners and londis is their local shop and they haven't any way of travelling to the cheaper shops. It isn't fair on them.
    But that is the whole idea behind them. The pensioners could get a taxi, but I expect it would work out more expensive to get a taxi. Just like many people travelling up north to get a "bargain" could be better off buying in major shops here which could also be considered "convenience" stores. People travelling up north as spending money on cars, petrol or other transport, and also their own time. If they bought here and worked an hour overtime instead of driving up north they might be better off.

Large supermarkets are often selling below the wholesale cost a convenience store owner, there is no way they can really compete.

I can't afford the transport costs to go up north, and tescos is my "local shop", it isn't fair on me...

Tell your local pensioners to look into tescos delivery service, I think others do it too.

rubadub wrote: »
    But that is the whole idea behind them. The pensioners could get a taxi, but I expect it would work out more expensive to get a taxi. Just like many people travelling up north to get a "bargain" could be better off buying in major shops here which could also be considered "convenience" stores. People travelling up north as spending money on cars, petrol or other transport, and also their own time. If they bought here and worked an hour overtime instead of driving up north they might be better off.

Large supermarkets are often selling below the wholesale cost a convenience store owner, there is no way they can really compete.

I can't afford the transport costs to go up north, and tescos is my "local shop", it isn't fair on me...

Tell your local pensioners to look into tescos delivery service, I think others do it too.

Your reply says all that is wrong with the new selfish ireland, some pensioners I know have no alternative.
    How come tescos metro( convenience store too) charge the same as the main stores, yet centra, londis and spar still usually have 30% increase on everything.
    I do know that the franchise stipulates that they can only buy from a particular supplier.
    Maybe that should be changed so they can then compete with Tescios metro for instance. Its a pity there aren't more of them, then this thread wouldn't exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Your reply says all that is wrong with the new selfish ireland, some pensioners I know have no alternative.
    There is nothing new about convenience stores, they have always charged more. 25 years ago I knew to buy my sweets in the supermarket as it was cheaper than the local mace, but even with my weekly 50p I would sometimes shop in the mace to save me walking to the supermarket. You are paying for the convenience, travelling less, usually smaller queues etc.
    How come tescos metro( convenience store too) charge the same as the main stores, yet centra, londis and spar still usually have 30% increase on everything.
    I do know that the franchise stipulates that they can only buy from a particular supplier.
    Exactly, they usually buy from musgraves or other middlemen. I have a mate who ran a centra and I had access to his card. I went in a few times to Musgraves to check stuff out, the vast majority of stuff I was interested in was dearer than tescos or my local offie. They simply cannot compete with supermarkets. The tesco store enjoys riding on the back of the larger stores and the massive economies of scale they can get. Dunnes also have these new smaller stores too.

These small dunnes/tescos could be barely breaking even, and trying to shut down other local operators for business reasons. I think several small dunnes shops have closed since the economy worsened.
    Its a pity there aren't more of them, then this thread wouldn't exist
    Some might say it is good to have small competition, if tesco shut the small shops down they might jack up the prices in their convenience stores. In the short term I can see why you would want one though.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭mobpd

Submit a complaint about misleading prices to the National Consumer Agency. they will investigate and if necessary and fine and name and shame.
    I have used them before to report a shop where the till charged a different price to the shelf label and they were fined

http://www.consumerconnect.ie/eng/Get_Your_Rights/Enforcement/

Advertisement