Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WnPC Defender???

Options
  • 30-03-2009 1:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

I have recently noticed this programme in the system on my laptop. I've no idea how it got there and it wont let me uninstall from the control panel. My internet connects but i get the yellow triangle to say there's a problem and i cant open any web pages. This virus, or whatever it is, keeps scanning my computer like a windows security application and tells me there's a trojan detected and all sorts like someones trying to obtain my personel information. Any ideas how i can get rid of this WnPC defender? As i cant get a webpage i cant download the recommended software mentioned in earlier threads such as MAlwareBytes etc.
    Please help, its got my whole PhD on it!!!! :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭brianc27

ladublin wrote: »
    I have recently noticed this programme in the system on my laptop. I've no idea how it got there and it wont let me uninstall from the control panel. My internet connects but i get the yellow triangle to say there's a problem and i cant open any web pages. This virus, or whatever it is, keeps scanning my computer like a windows security application and tells me there's a trojan detected and all sorts like someones trying to obtain my personel information. Any ideas how i can get rid of this WnPC defender? As i cant get a webpage i cant download the recommended software mentioned in earlier threads such as MAlwareBytes etc.
    Please help, its got my whole PhD on it!!!! :(

windows defender is an antispyware programme that comes with vista, it must be picking up something dodgy on your pc, have you done a virus scan?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 ladublin

Yes i did a full scan using the McAfee software and nothing showed up...

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭brianc27

try turning off mcafee and see what happens, i had a similar problem just the other day, i was connected to the net but couldnt access any sites, i disabled mcafee and then had no issues, ended up deleting it and getting a totally new anti-virus software

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

by the way its not the official windows defender. I dont have vista, its running on windows xp. I ran through a few things last night, deleted some quarantined items and there's still a problem. I dont get the pop ups anymore but my internet connection is still being problematic. I get a connection then its says there's limited or no connectivity. As i dont have the internet i cannot download malwarebytes etc that Aidan_walsh has suggested or do anything else to protect the system from future viruses, trojans etc..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭thatsnotmyname

I have the same problem myself
    it came on my p.c on Saturday and keeps flashing up on my screen every few minutes
    i tried to unistall it but it doesnt give me the option to delete it

I googled it and apparently it is a fake anti spy package

does anyone have any idea how to remove the bloody thing ?:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

WinPC Defender - have a nice dose here - would love to track down the little cnuts and give them a long and attentive kicking - anyone have a link to a handy removal tool?

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭thatsnotmyname

i followed the steps Aidan_Walsh's suggested and it is now gone !:D
    the superantispyware package seemed to do the business

Thanks Aidanfor that

Any suggestions how to remove it if you havent got an internet connection anymore? It has obviously done something to my connection so I cant download any of the suggested software

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 27darklord

can somebody help me plz send me an email dragons27darklord@hotmail.com i cant delete wnpc defender

• Advertisement

I followed the steps in the thread "i think i have a virus". Firstly i downloaded the links given onto my pc and saved them to usb memory. I then plugged this into the laptop that im having problems with and began to follow the steps suggested. In the first step i ran The Comedian.exe and a notepad came up and something called Erant left an icon on the desktop. When i went to run Malwarebytes it wouldnt allow me. Any ideas how to get around this problem as I still have no internet connection!!! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 27darklord

i have stil internet connection but it is slowing down i need some help i dont know what to do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 bobbyjoe143

hey guys, i know this advice might be comming a little late, but i personally only encountered this problem today.

i use a tool called smitfraudfix on most malware/fake antispyware and it worked on this one too (wnpc antispyware).

you should be able to find it by using google, but 2 websites that i know of have links for it: bleepingcomputer.com and geekstogo.com (you just have to navigate round their forums to find it).

the only thing is, you have to use the clean function on it in safe mode (not exactly hard).

it works for me, so maybe it can work for you too :)

Advertisement