Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Target Archery in Waterford

Options
  • 30-03-2009 12:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Last year I emailed the archery.ie site to see if there were any target archery clubs in Waterford.

I didnt get a reply, so I was just wondering if anyone might have any info here? I'm not really into the field archery, just the targets.

Thanks for your help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭mr potato head

Hi Trotter

The closest clubs are Cork or Kilkenny...
    I've just moved to Waterford (Last week) and will be looking at finding somewhere to train for the summer.

I would think about setting up a club here but it's not something i have much time to run at the moment!
    It's something i've done before and it's not a one person job...

If you don't mind me asking a few questions :)
    - Are you just looking at starting or have you shot much?
    - Do you have your own equipment?
    - Do you know of any other interested people in the area?

Cheers
    Keith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Hi Trotter

The closest clubs are Cork or Kilkenny...
    I've just moved to Waterford (Last week) and will be looking at finding somewhere to train for the summer.

I would think about setting up a club here but it's not something i have much time to run at the moment!
    It's something i've done before and it's not a one person job...

If you don't mind me asking a few questions :)
    - Are you just looking at starting or have you shot much?
    - Do you have your own equipment?
    - Do you know of any other interested people in the area?

Cheers
    Keith

I'm just starting off Keith but I've rented the gear a few times abroad and enjoyed it a lot.

I have no equipment yet, I was hoping to get advice from people in a club.

I also remember Kensutz and Fajitas on the forum here might have been interested a little while back.

I'd say you'd get plenty of interest!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,186 ✭✭✭kensutz

Yeah I'm still interested in giving it a go. No harm in trying another different sport to the countless ones I've tried.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Cheers for the PM!

Yep, now, I haven't even seen my bow in about 6 years, but if I'm back around for the summer, I'd be more than up for it. There's a chap that either still does, or used to work in the train station, that was heavily involved in the last archery club. No idea what the story is, but I'll see if he's still about.

Ok guys after a bit of thought i'm happy to put time into setting up a club in Waterford again. (Help welcome :) )

Does anyone have contact details for anyone who was in the old Waterford club, tried to track down a name but the number isn't working. If there is club equipment sitting around doing nothing it would be good to see how it can be put to use!

I am going to contact the Waterford sports partnership today and will take it from there.

Anyone know anyone from WIT who may want to set up a club there for the Intervarsity league next year it could be a join effort since the "R" word has drained every bit of money available to sport in the country.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Ok guys after a bit of thought i'm happy to put time into setting up a club in Waterford again. (Help welcome :) )

Fair play to ya. Fingers crossed I'll manage to get into it and do a bit with the new club. I'm starting from zero though.. No gear, little experience!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 xocmot

Hi Fellow string pullers. Waterford club was last in the Marian Hall in Dunkitt but sadly it has disbanded.

Hi Guys

An update about the archery in waterford.
    - I've located the equipment from the prevous clubs a couple of archers who will lend a hand.

- I am talking to Waterford sports partnership about possible shooting locations

What i am trying to do now is talk to people in the area who know farmers/landowners who would be willing to discuss use of a strip of land by the club.

Ideally i'd like to build towards archers having full time access to training facilities providing they meet required guidelines: things like experience, safety training and possibly age (sorry but the insurance may mean this has to be a requirement of access!)
    This is why i'd like to use a field rather than a playing field... this does mean no toilets and we will have to maintain the field ourselves.

I also want to contact WIT students or possible students for next year about creation of a WIT intervarsity team.

If anyone can suggest anything or lend a hand let me know (contact details by PM if you want me to give you a ring)

Keith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Rhood

Why dont you talk to Pat Lyons (vicepres@archery.ie) in the IAAA as he is going around with the other tutors training sports leaders. The IAAA also have coaches teaching archery in schools. Depending on where in Waterford you are there are also people in Tipperary looking for the same, why not get together and start a new club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭dave999

Hi Guys

An update about the archery in waterford.
    - I've located the equipment from the prevous clubs a couple of archers who will lend a hand.

- I am talking to Waterford sports partnership about possible shooting locations
    What i am trying to do now is talk to people in the area who know farmers/landowners who would be willing to discuss use of a strip of land by the club.

Ideally i'd like to build towards archers having full time access to training facilities providing they meet required guidelines: things like experience, safety training and possibly age (sorry but the insurance may mean this has to be a requirement of access!)
    This is why i'd like to use a field rather than a playing field... this does mean no toilets and we will have to maintain the field ourselves.

I also want to contact WIT students or possible students for next year about creation of a WIT intervarsity team.

If anyone can suggest anything or lend a hand let me know (contact details by PM if you want me to give you a ring)

Keith

I wonder if this helps! I'm secretary of Bishops Mountain Clay Shooting Club and we have just had our Coillte Lease amended to include Archery & Pistol shooting.

We have spoken to some of the field archers (The Dunbrody Archers around New Ross) but unfortunately we cannot set up 'field' archery at this time. We have set aside an area of our large car parking with target Archery in mind, however we have no idea about the needs of archers.

We have full club house (Incl toilets!), storage etc and would like to offer to meet with some of you guys to see if we can accomodate your sport in our grounds.

We currently open for clay target practice on Wednesdays (from about 5pm) and from 1pm every Saturday. Were on the Kilkenny road about 7 miles out of Waterford City. Check out www.bishops-mountain.com and you can see we have already started to overhaul our website and it includes archery.

Let me know if you are interested as we seem to have all that you need. Contact info on website.
    Regards,
    David Charlton

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭dave999

dave999 wrote: »
    I wonder if this helps! I'm secretary of Bishops Mountain Clay Shooting Club and we have just had our Coillte Lease amended to include Archery & Pistol shooting.

We have spoken to some of the field archers (The Dunbrody Archers around New Ross) but unfortunately we cannot set up 'field' archery at this time. We have set aside an area of our large car parking with target Archery in mind, however we have no idea about the needs of archers.

We have full club house (Incl toilets!), storage etc and would like to offer to meet with some of you guys to see if we can accomodate your sport in our grounds.

We currently open for clay target practice on Wednesdays (from about 5pm) and from 1pm every Saturday. Were on the Kilkenny road about 7 miles out of Waterford City. Check out www.bishops-mountain.com and you can see we have already started to overhaul our website and it includes archery.

Let me know if you are interested as we seem to have all that you need. Contact info on website.
    Regards,
    David Charlton

Hi all, I'm very sorry but we have not yet had a chance to meet up (& I lost my contact list on my mobile of the person (Keith?) who called to arrange a meeting at the ground!). If there is still interest in Bishops Mountain, please call again and we'll get together.
    regards,
    David

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Hi all,

sorry to have to dig up an oldie, but Im interested in target archery myself. Does anyone know if there is anywhere for beginners in Dublin, Meath, Louth areas?

Hi Abigayle

You have a good selection of clubs in the Dublin/Meath/Louth area, there is a Map of clubs on the Archery.ie site with contacts for them, hope there is one that suits.

Good luck
    Keith

• Registered Users Posts: 33 funi1234

anythign new on this front??? im just starting in the WIT and i was wondering if there was anythign around because archery is something id really love to get into.

Advertisement