Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the pill

Options
  • 30-03-2009 12:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

well i am currently on the pill and trust it as a method of contracpetion for me and my boyfriend but i am jus wondering if it is really sufficient enough, like carries much the same risk rate as condoms and i dunno if im just being naiive in using one method of contraception and i know accidents can happen no matter wot like but its just that condoms arent for us, just isnt.... advice plz

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

You should still use condoms to be extra safe.

If not try the reverse for females, can't remember what it's called.

You could always try get the bar in your arm which is more effective, at least I hear, not entirely too sure about it. Best talking to your GP about that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭duckielover

thanx for advice... jus condoms arent 4 us.. like at all....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭shellyboo

Duckielover, I'm not going to give you the old STI lecture... well, I am actually:

Have you both been tested for STIs? Recently? If not, then you should still be using condoms until such times as you both get the all-clear. It's just common sense.

From a contraception point of view, the pill is just as effective as any other stand-alone hormonal contraception - with typical use. Typical use means you take it at the same time every day, never miss one, aren't ill or taking other medication... basically, there are a lot of ways you can mess up taking the oral pill.

If you're not prepared to use condoms, there are other barrier methods you can try to decrease your risk - the diaphragm or female condoms. Ask your GP about these.

Another idea is to switch to a different hormonal method. The contraceptive injection, implant or IUS offer the same percentage protection as the oral pill - but they're much safer since you can't "forget" to take it. They're less affected by medication as well... they're just more foolproof than the oral pill.

Best thing to do is go to your GP and tell them your fears - they'll be able to explain all the options to you and suggest methods that would be best for you.

Advertisement