Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taking a primary 6th class to Kilmainham Jail

Options
  • 29-03-2009 11:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm a teacher and Im thinking of bringing my 6th class to Kilmainham Jail on their school tour. The idea would be to get the train to Dublin (3hrs), walk to Kilmainham Jail and do the tour (2 hrs?) and then 3hrs home from Heuston.

Would this be an enjoyable tour for 12 year old children? I've sent 2 emails to the opw address on the jail website but got no reply.

Also.. is there anywhere there where I could give the children a chance to have their lunch?

Thanks a lot!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

This is a great idea, the kids will like it a lot! Wish we had of gone somewhere like that when I was that age (Alas, Dublin Zoo was the height of our exotic adventures at that age)

P.S- I'm sure there is a Mc Donalds or something like that nearby, there nearly always is in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Kilmainham is a great tour, so I'd imagine they'd all enjoy it. It's pretty well put together.

Food wise, there's not much out this direction - You'll have the Hilton hotel across from you, but yes, that'll be pricey. There's pub grub or a small Italian down in Inchicore itself. What you could do (Though the prices still are a bit pricey) is head up to IMMA before you get the train back - It's right beside the Gaol, there's a Cafe beneath it which might do, and there's some art if the kids are interested. You can go out the back entrance to get back down to Hueston faster too.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭ADTR

Great tour!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭aonfocaleile

The best bet is to ring them, book in the group and let them know the age profile. The guides will tailor the tour for a primary school group. The tour itself would take about an hour and you should leave about 30 mins to look around the museum. There are loads of interactive features which are suitable for younger groups. Be aware that its on three different levels so you might need a helper to keep an eye on the group, depending on how many are in it.

I actually don't think there is a McDonald's nearby and the walk from Hueston is along a major route.

There used to be a tea room in the complex but I doubt if they could bring their own lunches in. You could bring them across the road to the grounds of the Royal Hospital though (weather permitting). You might need to clear this in advance. The Irish Museum of Modern Art is in the Royal Hospital so you might get contact info from their website.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

Fajitas! wrote: »
    Kilmainham is a great tour, so I'd imagine they'd all enjoy it. It's pretty well put together.

Food wise, there's not much out this direction - You'll have the Hilton hotel across from you, but yes, that'll be pricey. There's pub grub or a small Italian down in Inchicore itself. What you could do (Though the prices still are a bit pricey) is head up to IMMA before you get the train back - It's right beside the Gaol, there's a Cafe beneath it which might do, and there's some art if the kids are interested. You can go out the back entrance to get back down to Hueston faster too.

the place with the big garden and musuem? ya that would also be far far far safer route and more interesting route (nicer things to look at, instead of loads of lorries flying up and down the main road) for a group of 20-30 pupils. plus around that ground, lies, i think robert emmets remains.

if ya had time, (which probably won't considering the journey, check out collin's barracks along the luas line) its free, might want to let them know in avance.

• Advertisement
Advertisement