Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broccoli - what pests to watch out for?

Options
  • 29-03-2009 11:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭

I think butterflies do a lot of damage but I have put a huge net over all my veg as Ive seen the destruction caterpillars can do.

One year I saw a distressed gardener friend look in horror as his Broccoli just fell over. They had been eaten by some tiny fleas at ground level, they looked red if I recall. Every one of his plants had been chain sawed.

What do I need to do to protect my first crop?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭mister gullible

I guess the netting will help. I don't bother with broccoli anymore as mine used to get small caterpillars in it that left silky threads (impossible to get out and fairly well camouflaged as well). I got tired of finding them halfway through a meal...my meal that is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭hedgeh0g

I guess the netting will help. I don't bother with broccoli anymore as mine used to get small caterpillars in it that left silky threads (impossible to get out and fairly well camouflaged as well). I got tired of finding them halfway through a meal...my meal that is.

I have the net pitched high above the plants (like a circus tent) so the butterflies cant land to lay eggs. I remember the damage that was done when I was a kid and dont want a repeat.

Im wondering what pest ate through my old friends ones at soil level years a go. They were tiny and red in colour I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭puheen

clubroot can be a problem think it is spread by a flea beetle a dosage of garden lime is meant to prevent it

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

cabbage root fly can be one of the most serious threats
    to brassicas(cabbage,cauliflower,broccoli,calabrese etc,).
    the damage is caused by the flys maggots eating the roots,upon inspection you will find tunnelling in the roots which will rot in time.
    a good preventitive is to place collars around the the base of the stems of the plants(made from plastic about 15cm in diameter with a slit cut to centre)the maggots hatch on the surface but can't penetrate the collar to feed on the roots.

they can be a pest all season long!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭jobrok1

Wrapping thin strips of tin foil around the stalk works too.

• Advertisement

dardevle wrote: »

cabbage root fly can be one of the most serious threats
    to brassicas(cabbage,cauliflower,broccoli,calabrese etc,).
    the damage is caused by the flys maggots eating the roots,upon inspection you will find tunnelling in the roots which will rot in time.

> probably too late when that is seen.

a good preventitive is to place collars around the the base of the stems of the plants(made from plastic about 15cm in diameter with a slit cut to centre)the maggots hatch on the surface but can't penetrate the collar to feed on the roots.

> sounds like a plan. Do you ake these yourself? (from what? any pics of an example?) Or buy them ?

they can be a pest all season long!:(

Thanks for the suggestions.

"Wrapping thin strips of tin foil around the stalk works too"

> This seems like an easier solution. Is it as effective as the plastic idea / are the bugs fooled to lay eggs on tinfoil?

GPC-450.jpg

they are a very simple item as you can see....quite easy to make yourself:)
    have just planted out cabbages last week and collard and netted them....to be sure-to be sure;)

GPC-450.jpg

they are a very simple item as you can see....quite easy to make yourself:)
    have just planted out cabbages last week and collard and netted them....to be sure-to be sure;)

Ah that photo explains that well.

Whats the favoured material? I can get rubber from the local tyre place Id say.

you can buy ready made packs in most garden centres
    quite cheaply,but i tend to use whatever is to hand....
    currently thats beermats!

you can buy ready made packs in most garden centres
    quite cheaply,but i tend to use whatever is to hand....
    currently thats beermats!

Carlsberg dont do pest control .....

I can see the makings of an ad there!

• Advertisement

jobrok1 wrote: »
    Wrapping thin strips of tin foil around the stalk works too.

Plants with tinfoil around the stalk and beer mat at the base.

I wonder what the neighbours will think.

Is there good music I can play to help them grow faster or further deter pests?

The first buds appear to be separating.

can't really tell what the vartiety is from the photo's...looks like some form of purple sprouting broccolli-these are ready for harvest at around this time (march/april)....but if it is the sprouting type the main floret should have been snapped off shortly after it begins to show as this encourages
    many more side shoots and a much better harvest....

Advertisement