Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about UK payscale

Options
  • 29-03-2009 10:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭

If a teacher who has been working in Ireland for a number of years moves to the UK to teach, do they have to start at the bottom of the payscale or are they given credit for the years of experience that they have?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Galway

sitstill wrote: »
    If a teacher who has been working in Ireland for a number of years moves to the UK to teach, do they have to start at the bottom of the payscale or are they given credit for the years of experience that they have?

I worked in the UK for 12 years, teaching, you MAY get some increments for previous experience but u wont be well off on the UK main scale , u can reach the top very quickly in 6 years and there u sit. Its VERY poorly paid for what they expect you to dO. You have to jump through hoops to get onto the upper pay scale of 3 further increments - all of which you need loads of paperwork for.

MAIN PAY SCALE £ (SEPT. 2008)
    1 21,619
    2 23,248
    3 25,037
    4 26,894
    5 28,931
    6 31,138

So your max is £31,138 appr 34,000 euro at end of main scale for far less holidays and many more after school dept, year & staff meetings + parents meeetings etc etc. I was teaching 3 subjects so had 2 sets of meetings to go to (2 were in same dept luckily). The accountability and inspection culture has got out of hand, thats why I left in 2001. I now work in an IT with far less hours and longer hols and earn more than a senior teacher in the UK - head of dept or head of year.

UPPER PAY SCALE
    1 33,652
    2 34,860
    3 36,114

To get onto this scale you basically have to give ur life the school to earn a measly 36K £ approx 38 K in euro. Its pathetic. You can check out Irish teacher and lecturer scales to compare on http://www.tui.ie the UK ones are on http://www.teachers.org.uk/topichome.php?id=143

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭ytareh

We are getting there fast!'Real world' (and ACTUAL!) pay cuts all the time ,bureaucracy gone mad in a previously relatively unfettled career.Saddest thing of all is that they seem to be modelling our education system on the crumbling UK one .Look at the numbers going to fee paying schools here nowadays compared with 10 years ago. Jeez those wages are dire though -they'd need more than a 'golden handshake' to get me over there ...JEEZ!With the weak sterling Im earning more than most college professors let alone principals !A sad indictment on the value they place on Education NOT that we are overpaid or anything naysayers!!!
    The next time you are at a lunchtime 'subject department' meeting or filling in some stupid 'planning' form or other just imagine all of this stuff was unheard of 10 years ago .What will it be like in 10 years time from now ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭ytareh

accountability and inspection culture has gotten out of hand

End quote

Can you spell W.S.E. ?!Round our place its all they talk about ...A UK principal commited suicide over one of these!I hope the Unions withdraw from cooperating with these as well as after school events seeing as they have more than taken our so called 'rises' given by the pathetic Benchmarking process...
    A quick glance at the last pay 'cheque' reveals that my 'free' (LOL) public sector pension is over 300 euro a fortnight and with the other stealth taxes like the Income Levy and Teaching Council I nearly pay more for this stuff than actual PAYE 'Tax'

Advertisement