Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wood recomendation for outside application

Options
  • 29-03-2009 7:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I am looking for a recomendation for a suitable wood for an outside set of side gates. I have two gates with steel frames already in place. The frames have a recess for wooden planks to sit in.

I am trying to decide what is the best wood to go far. Naturally, I want something that will be hard wearing as its outside, but also, I want to try and get something that I can match (colour wise) to my dark brown upvc windows!

Any thoughts on wood type, supplier of same and best treatment / stain greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Jab

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

jabaroon wrote: »
    Hi All,

I am looking for a recomendation for a suitable wood for an outside set of side gates. I have two gates with steel frames already in place. The frames have a recess for wooden planks to sit in.

I am trying to decide what is the best wood to go far. Naturally, I want something that will be hard wearing as its outside, but also, I want to try and get something that I can match (colour wise) to my dark brown upvc windows!

Any thoughts on wood type, supplier of same and best treatment / stain greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Jab
    i used TGV red deal

I cut it and drilled it and then brought it to James McMahon who pressure treated it for me: this was 15 years ago so Health and safety might not allow this now:)
    I then stained it with Sadolins and other than a lick of Sadolins every 5 years its perfect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭cork1

the colour might not be close enough for you but in my opinion if its outdoors you cant beat cedar! i love the colouring of it and its soft which makes it very easy to work with.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭jabaroon

cork1 wrote: »
    the colour might not be close enough for you but in my opinion if its outdoors you cant beat cedar! i love the colouring of it and its soft which makes it very easy to work with.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Funny enough, I was hoping that someone would suggest Cedar. I really like the colour too. Would be as dark as want I would ideally like, but......sure what the hey!

Would I need to get Cedar treated or could I just go ahead and use off the shelf products?

Any suggestions where I would go in Dublin to get a a few lengths cut to size?

Cheers,
    Jab

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭cork1

no just coat it with ronseal or something similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Larch is one of the best woods suitable for outdoor use in this country.:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭lav1

cedar all day long, there is nothing better!!
    brooks thomas is where id get it you dont get ripped off there but they dont cut it to size.

Advertisement