Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Razor Clams - Where in Cork?

Options
  • 29-03-2009 6:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know where razor clams can be found in any quantities on beaches near Cork city? I would like to try and gather some of these fellas for the pot, supposedly very tasty. I presume they would also make excellent bait for certain species.

I recently found a total haven for cockles (which are very similar to palourde clams) which are also delicious, but the spot where I have gather these does not seem to offer razor clams. These cockles can be easily gathered from the estuary beach across the bay from Courtmacsherry.

It looks like a bit of fun gathering razor clams too... all you need is a bit of salt, see:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1N_8ysqBpvo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭CZ 453

I will research this as my good buddy was talking about it the other day.I will post again soon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭jArgHA

shezer wrote: »
    I will research this as my good buddy was talking about it the other day.I will post again soon

thanks shezer that would be much appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭CZ 453

Hi,
    These can only be gotten at the lowest of low tides in the year so there are only a few windows to get them.Ringaskiddy is a very common spot for these but i think its another while before they can be gotten.They can be bought in any fishing tackle shop.This is all i was told about them but im sure you would find out alot more in any fishing tackle shop.

Thanks shezer, yes I also heard that they can only be gathered at especially low tides (spring tides - twice per month?). I will be giving Ringaskiddy a try next spring tide, will let you know how I get on!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

I'd be a bit wary of eating these fellas if you're getting them inside cork harbour, I love to eat them , but any of the ones i get from cork harbour are for bait only, they store up all kinds of toxic sh1t. Same with Courtmac, the quality of water coming down that estuary is awful ( 5 minutes study and you get a fair picture of what west cork ate the night before) so I would not eat anything I got there either.

There used to be warning signs around little island, fota etc. warning people not to eat shellfish for this reason , not seen them in a while, still wouldn't risk it.

some of the kerry beaches have them, like derrynane, open water, and little chance of poisoning :-)

• Advertisement

Thanks growler, that's a bit of an eye opener as regards eating them from Cork harbour. i had also assumed shore across from Courtmac would be safe enough but will be more wary now. I figure I'll still give razor clam hunting a go even if just for gathering bait.

Thanks again,
    jAH

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

where exactly in ringaskiddy are we talking about for razorfish? the back beach by hulbowline? its pretty sandy with a big mussel bed but ive never seen people digging down there.

and where is this cockle hotspot if you dont mind me asking? ive been collecting a lot of shellfish for the pot lately and id love to add some of them to the shopping list

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ensis2010

Does anyone know of a good beach for collecting razor clams?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭BoarHunter

the biggest tides are always at the full moon close from the Sun equinox. When day = night time. So it is around 21st September and 21 st march.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭tfox

Got some at very low tide on Bere Island last fri, usual trick of pouring salt on the sand, lovely lovely grub :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

You can buy them live in CX cash and carry in Togher in Cork.
    Biggest tides of the year last week, thats why you could hand pick them.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭skipz

mmmh, razor's are lovely:D. Do they get dredged up much down in cork or the west? I hate seening the boats dredging for them!

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭TimMac

Where in togher is this place CJ?
    CJhaughey wrote: »
    You can buy them live in CX cash and carry in Togher in Cork.
    Biggest tides of the year last week, thats why you could hand pick them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

TimMac wrote: »
    Where in togher is this place CJ?
    If you take the turnoff up to the roundabout from the ring road, it is the third exit towards Musgrave Pk about 100m from kellihers opposite Colaiste ..

Advertisement