Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any chance of a sticky thread dedicated to what can/can't go in the green bin

Options
  • 29-03-2009 5:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

I was just on the greenbin.ie site and the list of what can and can't go into the green bin is very short, and just covers types of items rather than specifics. I wanted to know if wine bottle caps or jar lids go in or not.

I sent them an email suggesting that they put up a forum where someone would field these types of questions and give a definitive answer; all previously answered questions would be catalogued and searchable. It seems to me that there is a lot of goodwill from the public, trying to make sure that they put the right things in. While I don't expect them to have an encycolpedic list on the bags they send me, surely they could have a more comprehensive list on the internet somewhere. I would imagine that their employees would appreciate it too.

Well I am not too hopeful of them doing this anytime soon, so perhaps we could get together here and try to do the same thing, making a definitive list of cans and can'ts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Wouldn't work as there's no single definition of what a "green bin" is. Different waste companies have different rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

edzillion wrote: »
    I wanted to know if wine bottle caps or jar lids go in or not.
    If they're steel or tin then they should be ok.
    edzillion wrote: »
    Well I am not too hopeful of them doing this anytime soon, so perhaps we could get together here and try to do the same thing, making a definitive list of cans and can'ts?
    ;)

I'm going to have to echo Alun's response there edzillion. What goes into a green bin depends on the company responsible for collecting it, so it's a region-specific, company-specific issue. I'm not sure a general thread on the subject is necessary.

If you've any other questions, feel free to fire them off on this thread, but I think for definitive answers you're better off contacting the company responsible for your waste.

Kudos for making the effort to separate your waste properly. I do despair when I see people throwing literally everything and anything into the recycling bins in my complex; it’s just pure laziness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

Advertisement