Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cab Artwork etc

Options
  • 29-03-2009 3:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭

hi been on boards awhile, been into retro consoles before they were retro.
    anyway my oul man runs a sign business and he got a huge digital printer about a year ago

just wanna offer his service to you guys who build cabs etc, he is willing to print your artwork to any size shape etc can do perspex marquees etc can applicate to wood plastic glass etc

anyway 10% off to boards members

http://www.signcentre.ie/

any questions ask me cept prices

thanks

ronan

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭defenderdude

Few questions...
    Could he do this full size?
    defender_side_art-1.jpg

defender_kickpanel.jpg

I can get the exact dims for the cab/sticker you'd need but suffice to say it's full size...
    The upper image is the cab side and the lower one is the front of the cab around the coinbox like the one on the left beside the Invaders cab.
    homearcade1.jpg
    I dont have full hires scans just low res jpegs.

I assume it would be on a single sheet as opposed to stenciled cut outs?
    Could he make stencils from an image like this?
    What would the resolution be like?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

No prices on the site? It always worries me when companies won't even give you a ball park figure of cost on the website.

ScumLord wrote: »
    No prices on the site? It always worries me when companies won't even give you a ball park figure of cost on the website.

I'd agree but if it's a new product - it might be difficult for them to get an idea.

I hope they give us some feedback as an indication sooner rather than later as there are a number of companies online who can do these already - just not seen any in Ireland "interested" in the business.

personally I'd love to see stencils as well as repro artwork...;)

They're not a new company, pictures on the website of previous work show signs dating back to the 60s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭ro1798

sorry for not getting back i am up the mountains in northern thailand, anyway to answer some questions dads company been around for years, the web has no prices as most jobs are very individual
    the digital printer is 6 feet wide and the roll of vynal is 50mts long so any size print can be done, they do the 40foot trucks on the road etc could print a full wall in your favourite arcade stars, just a thought!!! anyway
    can print on self adheisive or on paper but i am sure for applicating on mdf etc would be stickers your after.

the better the image suplied the better the print, if you give a thumbnail and wanted it blown to 6 feet high you can imagine it will be pixelated..

they can have it as a cut out i am sure but
    if you put the stuff on your selves would be the most cost effetivet option i am sure

if you email my dad or bro
    sales@signcentre.ie

give cab sizes etc they can email back a quote to you

or if you pm me i can pass it on but with net access hard to come by where i am might be day or so

thanks

any questions i will answer no probs

• Advertisement

The best way is probably to get it turned into vector art so it can be infinity scaled. I've sent off stuff to printers in standard formats like Jpeg but those images are huge due to the resolutions involved. I've never really worked with vector graphics but it's not supposed to be all that difficult, maybe you could find someone under arts that could do it.

The posters will look pretty cool. How you'd go about fixing it to the case I don't know.

The posters will look pretty cool. How you'd go about fixing it to the case I don't know.

The current (cheap) graphics available are typically self adhesive vinyl. They are going on a black cabinet so it's an easy fit.
    The more expensive and better/difficult way (for defender sideart) is using stencils (1 red, 1 yellow. 4 different in all). This is what was used on the original.
    I've traced them and was going to make some up - but never got around to finishing it. It's to finish an exact replica gathering dust in my garage, of my old original. I was going to build a number of them - but will need to finish replica #1 first...:rolleyes:

The more I think about it - the more I think stencils are the best way to go for this project. That's why I never bothered with the vinyl...

That said, vinyl would work a treat on mame cabs or on plexi (lexan) and mounted into picture frames with lights etc...
    I have a few marquees inc a T2 glass marquee which would look deadly as a framed picture. Must get it scanned - if anyone can scan it/wants one, just lmk.

I'm gonna ask about getting it printed onto something that might work as a stencil especially if there's the possibility to "cut out".

I'll post my results.

The current (cheap) graphics available are typically self adhesive vinyl. They are going on a black cabinet so it's an easy fit.
    The more expensive and better/difficult way (for defender sideart) is using stencils (1 red, 1 yellow. 4 different in all). This is what was used on the original.
    If it's a simple image like you describe (and shown above) your probably right. If prices we pay where I work are anything to go by these posters are up around the €50 mark for a one off A0. The posters we had made where on quite thick laminated paper, this is why I'd wonder how it would work out being stuck to a cabinet. Our posters didn't last all that long either but they where being rolled and unrolled very often as they where being used at shows like ideal homes.

If your making a few cabinets it may be worth getting them printed out as you should get a bulk discount and save yourself a few days of work.

These posters really do look good though. They're as good or better than anything that comes off a photo quality inkjet.

they are basicically big stickers, they are make with very strong adheisive sorry cant spell.. peel the back off and applicate..

we printed off a new york skyline and it was 6' by 18' looks good

anything anysize thats the motto

ronan

Thanks R

I've emailed the clan with some details. Here's hoping.
    ;)

• Advertisement

Well I emailed them with some questions and requests for information - saying I'd been given the heads up here on boards by a family member...

Over a week later and not even an acknowledgment...
    :rolleyes:

Well I emailed them with some questions and requests for information - saying I'd been given the heads up here on boards by a family member...

Over a week later and not even an acknowledgment...
    :rolleyes:
    Not a sign. :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Not a sign. :pac:

:D

Well that was a shame, always good to support Irish an business. I'll leave the thread open for another few days to see the op can get back with some prices...otherwise it's locksville.

sorry about this lads i have emailed him to get on to you defender..
    if i was at home a kick in the arse would sort them:mad:

thanks

ro

Giving up on this one...
    2 more weeks and still nada. Pahhhh.

Best to stick with the pro's who have already done this kinda thing already. May be pricey but at least they can actually do it...:rolleyes:

http://www.phoenixarcade.com/art.htm

http://www.mamemarquees.com/

http://www.hyperspacearcade.com/Artwork.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

So is this not worth trying then? Where is the OP?

I'm sure they will be good for printing certain artwork - maybe for a wall of a games room or non-specific generic pics to stick onto the side of a mame cab, but proper repros or specific requests dont seem to be their thing.

I'd say that you could get what they are supposedly offering, from any reasonably-well setup printer these days.

Perhaps I just mis-interpreted what I thought they could do...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

Do you know where I could get a simple A4 sized glossy sticker for an arcade stick? As in this guide here: http://driph.com/words/2009/02/howto-add-new-art-to-your-madcatz-fightstick/

I have access to a colour printer and a laminator but I feel I should get it done properly rather than just applying regular glue

Advertisement