Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slumming it on 10 euro a week food.

Options
  • 29-03-2009 2:44pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭

:pac:I've come to the conclusion that it is very easy to live in post Celtic Tiger Ireland on less than a tenner a week on food.

For seven days food I bought the following:

4 tins Scotch broth from lidyl (1.20 or so in all)
    2 tins tomato soup (70c)
    2 tins beans (50c)
    2 bags of cheap Spar pasta, 1 kg in all (2.00)
    Cheap ass bolognese sauce, two jars (2.00
    Big ass (375g) box of corflakes from Lidyl (1.72)

The rest is spent on milk.

This is not great food, and since its all ludicrously processed its probably not good for me, but still, think of it, on very little money you can eat subsistently. Good way to loose weight too

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Even I'll draw the line before that level of sustenance!

Hardly a vitamin to be spotted, you'll be in hospital with some infection in no time!

• Subscribers Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

what is your weekly menu? cornflakes with water? no sugar? No protein all week?
    is this a 7 day week? don't see how you can stretch that food to a week myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

You can buy large tins of salmon for 1.40 in Tesco. Add a bit of protein and fat in your diet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I spend that amount on Lunch everyday, take that recession.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

The protein is in the milk! Ah well, its only for a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

Words cannot adequately describe how bad an idea this is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭docdolittle

RasTa wrote: »
    I spend that amount on Lunch everyday, take that recession.
    Well your not a student without a job so... :P :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

Go to superquinn, go to the 'half reduced' fridge, get your 8 or so chicken fillets that are about to go out of date for less than a fiver. Freeze immediately. Spend rest on cheap veg (brocolli, carrots) and a big bag of wholemeal rice/pasta as well as the cheapest jar of pesto you can find. Sorted.

(That said I managed to live off 72 weetabix (3 for breakfast, 3 for lunch, 4 for dinner with a banana) in between paychecks one week the summer before last... Thats without milk btw. Kept me fine and regular I can tell you)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

Veggie stirfrys FTW!!

Buy €8 worth of veggies, a bottle of soy sauce and a packet of rice/noodles.

Cut up the veg, mix them up and freeze. Use as required... Should last the week!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,278 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

No chance of lasting too long on that diet OP.

Are you in training for a hunger strike?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,780 ✭✭✭✭Basq

This has turned from not a very convincing Bargain Alert into a bit of a health and fitness chat.

Locked.

If the OP wants me to move it elsewhere, let me know.. but it's not particular Bargain Alert worthy.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement