Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Web forms and image uploading - account creation

Options
  • 28-03-2009 6:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

Hi,
    I want te be able to allow people upload images and informatio to my website and also allow users create accounts with me for uploading stuff. (Think of car buyers guide as an example).
    I have some html and programming experience from years ago, and I have built a modest website using a web hostong service, but I don't knw if the stuff I outlined above is someting I can learn quickly myself or is it something I would have to go get some proper training for or are their apps I can get to do it for me ?

Can anyone point me in the right direction of what I need to learn to do the above and where I can get the stuff I need ?

I doubt this is done in just HTML, do I need SQL or something like that ?

Sorry, I know theres a lot in that question !!! :)

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Would Joomla with a classifieds extension be what your looking for?

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

you'll need to use something like php/asp for server side scripting to aid interacting between the user and the database. you'll definitely need a db for this task firstly you'll need to store user login details etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Storm99

Whatever about the joomla software, the website is a nightmare ! It was near impossible to find the software itself to download, and when I did, you'd need a degree to install it, and when I registered an account it says im not registered when I tried to log in to use the Demo !!

Are you sure it will do what I am looking for coz I am already confused by it !!

Thanks for your help !!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Storm99 wrote: »
    It was near impossible to find the software itself to download
    Strange.. I got it in two click from the frontpage. I guess the download button could be more up-front, but it's not exactly hidden.
    you'd need a degree to install it
    Joomla is a web application which requires PHP and MySQL. Does your web server have those services enabled? Things might seem overly difficult if it hasn't.

Considering it's been *just* over an hour since you first requested some advice here, I'm not entirely surprised you haven't gotten your first CMS system up and running just yet. It might take just a little bit longer to learn the basics.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Whatever about the joomla software, the website is a nightmare ! It was near impossible to find the software itself to download, and when I did, you'd need a degree to install it, and when I registered an account it says im not registered when I tried to log in to use the Demo !!

Are you sure it will do what I am looking for coz I am already confused by it !!

Thanks for your help !!

There is a large "Download Joomla" button on the homepage, registration to get the packages is not required, Joomla is incredibly easy to install, you unpack the archive, use a FTP program such as FileZilla to upload all the content on your server (Make sure the index.php is in the root directory of the site), then go to your website and if theres no other index files the setup configuration wizard will start.
    You will need to create a MySQL database first though, you do this in your hosting control panel and once done you enter the details juring Joomlas installation when requested, it will then get you to configure your admin login name/password etc...
    You then download a classifieds addon which you think would suit (Most addons have a demo site so you can see it in action), login to Joomla Admin CP & under Extensions click install/uninstall, install the package you downloaded (The classifieds one) and then it will be installed in joomla, and its configuration should be possible using the "Components" main menu

Nick

Edit: I've located a Classifieds Extension which might interest you, see HERE for download package

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Pub07

Thanks for your help !!

Hey mate, I was in the same boat as yourself a few weeks ago, looking to create a dynamic website but not knowing where to start. So here's what you should do imo -

1. Go and download wampserver - http://www.wampserver.com/en/
    This will install and configure php, mysql and apache for you automatically and let you develop your site locally.

2. Get CMS software, joomla and drupal are the main ones. I did alot of research on this before choosing as I didn't want to pick a substandard format and waste weeks/months before realizing the other one was better. In the end I went for Drupal, some of the main advantages that stood out for me:
    - unlimited amount of user defined roles whereas Joomla has only 3, anonymous, authenticated and administrator.
    - good coding standard. It seems that Joomla has poor standardization, anyone create an extension and have it listed whereas "Drupal's core and its contributed modules and themes live in one central CVS repository, there is peer-review of code and a security team that constantly reviews both core and contributed code". I couldn't afford to have dodgy hacked together code on the site Im working on, so this was a major issue for me.
    - from what I gather Drupals overall performance is better, page load times for example. I encountered a few posts from people who's sites were performing badly who said when they ported them to Drupal they had no trouble.
    - SEO friendly out of the box.

3 - Follow this tutorial, its the most comprehensive beginners tutorial for Drupal Ive found - http://www.gouncleweb.com/typd_changing_background_style

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Storm99

Finally got to grips with Joomla !, It's awesome !!! A Really REALLY powerful developer. I am addicted to it now !!

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction !!

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭willows

Good you find it joomla useful, a rule of thumb says the more features of a CMS the more there is to know about it.

When opensource products are described as easy you have to remember the statement is written by a developer who finds it "easy".

Advertisement