Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best way to study for the C theory test?

Options
  • 28-03-2009 6:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 300 ✭✭

What in your opinion is the best way to study for the C theory test?
    I keep meaning to get off my ass and get it but I dont know the best way to go about it.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Prob the cdrom. Im presuming you have a computer and posting from one rather than from a mobile. It takes a bit of the 'boringness' of a book. In saying that, i would still advise to have the book. Go thru it when u have 5 minutes to spare, on a bus or something. Its not really a hard test. Its nothing in comparison to actually driving a Big moving box around the city

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭Richie15

Is it anything like the car test? Where do you get the different CD's or are they all on the one?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Richie15 wrote: »
    Is it anything like the car test? Where do you get the different CD's or are they all on the one?

Its the same as the car test. The book and cdrom have all the licence categories in one book or cd. Buy Here

The same test or just the same CD? If it's the same test, then what's the point in making us do it again?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,493 ✭✭✭✭guil

its not the same test but each test is covered in the book and cd
    ya will get a fair few q's that are car related aswell in the test

• Advertisement

The same test or just the same CD? If it's the same test, then what's the point in making us do it again?

You will have to answer from a larger bank of questions. It will still be 40 and need 35 to pass.

The book and cd have A,B,C and D licence questions. Saves printing different editions.

Saves buying new ones too. Do you know if the rule requiring you to have your learner permit 6 months before you can do a test applies to Cat C? If not I think I'll go for it ASAP, so I'll get away with doing a CPC test.

the 6 month rule doesnt apply to C or D categories
    i had my learner for C a 3 or 4 months before i did the test

Cheers I'll go for it while it's still a simple process.

Pick up theory test CD,
    Apply for theory test,
    Have medical exam,
    Add C to learner's permit,
    Take course of lessons,
    Apply for test,
    Hopefully pass by 09/09/09!

Then start all over again with EC.
    Anyone know if I'll need a CPC for EC then?

yeah afaik drivers need to do the cpc from sept

• Advertisement

But I mean if I do manage to get my C licence by September but not my EC, then will I need to do a CPC test for with my EC licence?

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Burtchaell

The car CD is ok. It has HGV theory test on it too. I thought it was easier than the car theory test. Most of its common sense but there are some things you need to remember like overhangs and weights and the like. Good luck with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Burtchaell

Add C to learner's permit
    I presume you are not on a car learner permit because you can't apply for and C or D license without a full B.

Burtchaell wrote: »
    I presume you are not on a car learner permit because you can't apply for and C or D license without a full B.
    Car licence, Bike permit. Never been on a bike in my life though, flipped a coin to decide which one to do first.
    Me wrote: »
    But I mean if I do manage to get my C licence by September but not my EC, then will I need to do a CPC test for with my EC licence?
    By the way, if anyone else is interested, I've looked into this and as long as you have your C licence by September, the EC doesn't matter. You still have to do the day of training every year though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭tormented

You should get moving on it straight away. The waiting times for the driving test in hgv's is between 3 to 5 months. Pm me when your looking for lessons, im a hgv driving instructor.:)

tormented wrote: »
    You should get moving on it straight away. The waiting times for the driving test in hgv's is between 3 to 5 months. Pm me when your looking for lessons, im a hgv driving instructor.:)
    Cheers, I'll let youo know when I get the LP! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭HighlyCooL

got my C test in 10 weeks in rathgar and passes. best way to study for the theory tests i found was to read the book by reading the question and then the write answer. worked for me and passed all 3 (ABMW(back in the day), C, D) only got 2 questions wrong in 2 of the tests and 3 wrong in the ABMW test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭electron

anyone done the cpc case studies test?
    what kind of questions will be asked?
    i have the sample situations right here in front of me, no sample questions though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

I'm currently taking EC lessons and my instructor who got me through the C test reckons that if I don't pass the EC test before September I will have to do an extra practical knowledge test along with retaking the driving test itself to gain the CPC in the EC category. But I wont have to do the case study or theory question part.

Bloody confusing tbh, but I would assume the practical knowledge test would be like a more in depth version of the technical checks that you have to demonstrate in the current test. :confused:

I'm currently taking EC lessons and my instructor who got me through the C test reckons that if I don't pass the EC test before September I will have to do an extra practical knowledge test along with retaking the driving test itself to gain the CPC in the EC category. But I wont have to do the case study or theory question part.

Bloody confusing tbh, but I would assume the practical knowledge test would be like a more in depth version of the technical checks that you have to demonstrate in the current test. :confused:
    Nothing to worry about, if you have your C licence by September you don't need a CPC. Well you do need the card, but you're exemt from the test, it's just a matter of applying and doing the training day each year to keep it. Looking for the link to my source at the moment, I'll get back to you with that...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Waymaster

Yes once you have your C you are fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 sweetbubbly

Cheers I'll go for it while it's still a simple process.

Pick up theory test CD,
    Apply for theory test,
    Have medical exam,
    Add C to learner's permit,
    Take course of lessons,
    Apply for test,
    Hopefully pass by 09/09/09!

Then start all over again with EC.
    Anyone know if I'll need a CPC for EC then?

Just a tip for you, when you go to your doctor to get your medical cert, ask him/her to tick C1, C, EC, EC1, for ten years, just means when you go on to do your artic, you wont need another medical report. Also get the doc to tick D1, D, ED, ED1 if you think you might do your coach too. Licencing department will keep it on file. Saves you having to return to your GP and hand out another €60 for their signature!! :p

Just a tip for you, when you go to your doctor to get your medical cert, ask him/her to tick C1, C, EC, EC1, for ten years, just means when you go on to do your artic, you wont need another medical report. Also get the doc to tick D1, D, ED, ED1 if you think you might do your coach too. Licencing department will keep it on file. Saves you having to return to your GP and hand out another €60 for their signature!! :p
    I was actually wondering about that too, forgot to ask. Any chance it can be done on the medical card or is that milking it? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭electron

of course you can do it on the medical (or GP) card, it's like any other visit to the doc... and if s/he knows you and your history, he won't even have to examine you, just signs the form in your presence and that's it. good luck.
    still, anyone done the case studies test, or even the cpc practical? would be nice to hear.

Advertisement