If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting a system for a house.

Options
  • 28-03-2009 10:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Hi John,
    We have moved into a new house and want to start getting a nice sound system together. I guess we need an amp, radio and lp player first. Ant a set of small roof/wall speakers, maybe two if we can afford it. The two rooms where we have speaker cable set up are big about 30x20 feet. We have alot of very old 78s, alot of music on a media pc, and a dvd player to plug in too. I'm not realy into dolby surround sound for the dvd so we can stick to stereo. Our budget for stage one is €1000. Please could you recomend some stuff?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

subscribing to this thread with the same interests, albeit with half the budget.

also, i'm a 2.1 fan too, i only have two ears, why are all speakers not that way? :)

• Company Representative Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

antord wrote: »
    Hi John,
    We have moved into a new house and want to start getting a nice sound system together. I guess we need an amp, radio and lp player first. Ant a set of small roof/wall speakers, maybe two if we can afford it. The two rooms where we have speaker cable set up are big about 30x20 feet. We have alot of very old 78s, alot of music on a media pc, and a dvd player to plug in too. I'm not realy into dolby surround sound for the dvd so we can stick to stereo. Our budget for stage one is €1000. Please could you recomend some stuff?
    Thanks

Guys thanks for the posts and apologies for the delay in getting back to you. (Red wine and Sunday nights don't go well together)..

€1000 will get you a pretty serious stereo setup, despite what some of the Audio snobs say..!

Here are a few ideas

Marantz
    Marantz PM7003 - £369.95/€399.99 - Amplifier
    Marantz CD7001 - £369.95/€399.99 - DVD/CD Player
    Denon TU1500 - £149.95 / €159.99 - Tuner
    Numark TTUSB - £89.95/ €99.99 (78RPM ability to record)
    Monitor Audio SC165 in ceiling speakers * 2 @ £79 each/€169 pair

Total price in Euro = €1199

Teac System
    AG980 Receiver (Radio & Amplifier) Great product which has multi room ability ie you can actually have 2 rooms playing different things at the same time! £199.95 / €219.99 http://www.richersounds.com/showproduct.php?cda=showproduct&pid=TEAC-AG980
    Pioneer DV410 - DVD Player - £69.95/€79.99
    Numark TTUSB - £89.95/ €99.99 (78RPM ability to record)
    Monitor Audio SC165 in ceiling speakers * 2 @ £79 each/€169 pair

Total price = Euro €570

If you add about 10% which is the normal recommended for interconnects and speaker cables system 1 will get you to about €1300 and system 2 to about €630 - both systems will sound excellent, however the Marantz system would pip the Teac at the post in the Audio stakes - however if you did have a second room - the multi zone functionality of the Teac would be hard to ignore and it honestly does sound quite good!

Have a look around at www.richersounds.com and if you like any of the above please drop me a line and I'll do my best to assist,

Thanks as ever,

John Mc

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.