Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pat Kenny

Options
  • 27-03-2009 11:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭

He is leaving the Late Late Show after this season

I'm curious to why?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

He was pushed

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭daraghmack

Hes going doing that show that is to replace Questions and Answers next Autumn. Who will get the Late Late gig??? Tubridy???

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,063 ✭✭✭✭beertons

2 reasons I reckon.

1. He gets paid too much, and they have to slash costs.
    2. That racist comment.

Dug his own hole, and good luck to him!

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭schween

Thank god.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭ADTR

Recession cuts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Austin 3:16

daraghmack wrote: »
    Hes going doing that show that is to replace Questions and Answers next Autumn. Who will get the Late Late gig??? Tubridy???
    Who cares, Pat gone!! He was really rubbish, that interview with the rugby players tonight just highlighted his inability to interview anyone outside of the political sphere, good riddance!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Austin 3:16

beertons wrote: »
    2 reasons I reckon.

1. He gets paid too much, and they have to slash costs.
    2. That racist comment.

Dug his own hole, and good luck to him!

What racist comment?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭AmyG

Thought i read in the paper(but not great it was the sun or something) that he leaving as he refused to take a pay cut, as his income matches his life style :rolleyes: well for some..

I say tubridy may have a shot, but maybe a female presenter ??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

Suddenly RTE is a much brighter place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Affable

What racist comment?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭PurpleBerry

Little kid was doin a dance routine, after that Kenny starts talking to him. He won money for a comp or is going in to a comp and there's a money prize - Kenny asked what would he spend the money on? Kid says he'll go to New York to learn more breakdancing. Kenney says well most of the dancers there are black aren't they? Kid says yes, laughs nervously. Kenny says will you paint your face up to fit in?

I know what you're thinking "I'd like to see that". Well, here it is...

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭cazze

I taught that remark about the break dancers was harmless
    at the end of the day he was just speaking the truth ! !

I think Pat is more suited to politics as anyone who listens to his radio show will vouch for.

he got a lot of unnessary stick from a lot of people the last few years
    who will succeed him is anyones guess i dont think Tubridys style would not suit the late late format
    i cant see Gerry Ryan getting it he was ok for one night but every week i wouldnt be watching anyway.

i think its possible RTE may ditch the Late Late totally and give Tubridy anew look show something along the lines of the Jonathon Ross show
    it would probaly work better too imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

cazze wrote: »
    I taught that remark about the break dancers was harmless
    at the end of the day he was just speaking the truth ! !

I think Pat is more suited to politics as anyone who listens to his radio show will vouch for.

he got a lot of unnessary stick from a lot of people the last few years
    who will succeed him is anyones guess i dont think Tubridys style would not suit the late late format
    i cant see Gerry Ryan getting it he was ok for one night but every week i wouldnt be watching anyway.

i think its possible RTE may ditch the Late Late totally and give Tubridy anew look show something along the lines of the Jonathon Ross show
    it would probaly work better too imo.

Pat Kenny is well suited to political interviews. He's probably one of the best. His trouble was that he couldn't change his style to adapt to other guests. He was always cutting across guests and not allowing them to finish their replies. I believe this is simply because with politicians, you just have to cut in because they never shut up!

I can't see Tubridy getting it because he would be hopeless at current affairs stuff. One man who never occurred to me until last night when I saw him in action is Bill O'Herlihy. I reckon he's fit the mould quite well and for things like the toy show would come across as being human...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Láidir

Well there he goes and now RTÉ have the tough task of finding someone to takeover there premiere show. Now you'd think they would put some thought into who is gonna fill the gap but no sadly they've come up with the usual suspects of Ryan Tubridy, Miriam Callaghan, Jerry Ryan etc. Honest to god it makes me physically ill that this is all thats on offer. Especially after the abolishment of Q&A with possibly the best host at RTÉ John Bowman. So folks do you think its any wonder some people avoid payin their t.v. licenses? Who would you suggest?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Threads merged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Saibh

Láidir wrote: »
    Well there he goes and now RTÉ have the tough task of finding someone to takeover there premiere show. Now you'd think they would put some thought into who is gonna fill the gap but no sadly they've come up with the usual suspects of Ryan Tubridy, Miriam Callaghan, Jerry Ryan etc. Honest to god it makes me physically ill that this is all thats on offer. Especially after the abolishment of Q&A with possibly the best host at RTÉ John Bowman. So folks do you think its any wonder some people avoid payin their t.v. licenses? Who would you suggest?

I haven't watched Late Late Show in a long time, in my opinion, it is time maybe to cancel it.

If RTE don't cancel it, the new presenter selected will depend if RTE decide to keep the show in the same format or a total revamp.

There isn't many options really to choice from besides the presenters you have mentioned, unless RTE decide to bring someone completely new in.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭CaoimH_in

it is the longest running chat show in the world isn't it?
    keeping that in mind, Lets hope for a revamp or just someone new but of the same kinda chatblood lines as previous... Wogan anyone? is it possible? would it work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Láidir

i would like to have someone with a bit of wit, have a laugh with the guests and audience so a johnathon ross approach may not be far off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

Have to say I hate the Jonathan Ross format. Most of his interviews involve him talking and making jokes rather than the interviewee talking, it just wouldn't work for the heavier issues. The current format isn't too bad they just need to get someone who can do the light as well as the heavy interviews. I think they have to get someone outside the current RTE stable.

Lol. Alan Partridge-esque.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Thumpette

I vote Joe Duffy! Man of the people!

There's no show like a Joe show :D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoLth

I doubt his criticism of RTE and the fuss over the cowan paintings made him any friends either.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,961 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

i Vote Matt Cooper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Aisling99

He's such a tool.
    To Paul O Connell after the grandslam win
    "Paul, I noticed that you stayed out on the pitch longer than everyone else after the match"
    "Did I? I thought I left with everyone else"
    cringe-tastic. I wish we had a Michael Parkinson

Open it up to the public I say. Time to get new talent on tv

Aisling99 wrote: »
    I wish we had a Michael Parkinson

He's not much less banal to be fair.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jobucks

Reckon they should go with someone who has a bit of clout with more than one generation.... most likely it'll up being one of the bloody Seoiges though or bleedin Gerry Ryan.

I wouldn't mind seeing someone like Des Bishop or Neil Delemere do it, that would be some laugh.

But there's only one guy it really should be...... BERTIE FTW

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 happybunny247

Was just bout to say it, des bishop, or daragh o'Breen. brillient or any other irish comedian, thing is they would have to be serious most of the time, can comedians do that daragh o' Breen could, it would make the resession alot more easier then it is by stayin in to watch the late late save abit of dosh and have a luagh. but a safe bet would have to be tubridy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

It's about time Pat Kenny went seems hes getting worse and worse by the day. What he said to Pete Doherty was apauling the poor lad was nearly crying sure and his racist comment on the breakdancers honestly I don't know how it took this long to get rid of him. I agree with the above ^ Des Bishop or Dara O Brien to replace him

Advertisement