Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Camcorder - How to transfer videos to PC?

Options
  • 27-03-2009 2:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Hi Guys,

I have a very old VHS camcorder. In the region of 15 years + old at this stage. I have a number of old family tapes/recordings that can be played in the camcorder.

However, I'm concious with the passing of time that thes are going to degrade in quality further and further and would love to transfer them onto my PC and put them in digital format so that they can be saved and secured long into the future.

Does anyone know how I could go about this process? What equipment I need to buy to transfer this into digital format? How much it will cost?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. It'd be brilliant to save this family footage as I know that storing it in the attic for any longer will result in disaster and the loss of pricelesss memories!

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

There's a range of different capture devices, some are PCI cards that you fit to the PC but I've also seen ones which connect to your pc via USB - Argos carry them and you'd have no problem getting one online from the likes of Komplett - for example: http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=364173

Ritz.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 IrishGooner83

Ritz,

Thanks for getting back so quick. That looks exactly what I'll need, Very reasonable price as well. Just wonder how much it will compromise on quality delivered. Good starting point though and may look to pick something up this weekend!

Anyone out there purchased the AverMedia DVD Ezmaker in the past or similiar... How have ye found it?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

Hi ,

I needed to do this on an old tape recently.
    Though I would have to buy a similar item but eventually used a mates media drive.
    He had one of thos hard drive media boxes that could record from the tv.
    I plugged the old camcorder into this, played the movie and recorded it to the hd. then connected the hd to the tv and had a file sitting there

just another option,

K

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭squire23

I've previously done this by simply hooking up the Camcorder directly to a DVDRecorder - worked perfectly.

For authoring I used TMPGEnc DVD Author which is very easy to use. It's available on the net & if you look hard enough you'll find a *cough* h@cked *cough* copy

Advertisement