Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I Being Ripped Off Here?

Options
  • 27-03-2009 2:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭

As some of you will know I won a package on Betfair to go the Aussie Millions last January.

The trip was brilliant and everything, even though I didn't cash :o.

However; Betfair have basically withheld US$1,260 of the US$15,000 package that I won (there was a substantial overlay in the tournament but it was still advertised as a US$15,000 package)...

After many emails on my part I have finally got a breakdown of where this money has gone.

They say that entertainment/ expenses was the result of me being left $1,260 shy of the $15,000...

Just wondering if anyone else has had similar experiences with other sites and if they had the matter resolved?

BTW; the only expenses that I did take them up on was for three tickets to go to the Aussie Open Tennis in Melbourne. I got three tickets worth AUD$60 each, if I had of known they were going to charge me in any way for them I think I would have bought my own at the gate :).

Thanks for any help,
    Stephen.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 32,850 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

If they can account for that amount as being given in expenses etc then they should surely have a receipt/invoice or similar for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭carfax

5starpool wrote: »
    If they can account for that amount as being given in expenses etc then they should surely have a receipt/invoice or similar for it?

They don't because there were no other expenses.....and I had to really fight to get any sort of breakdown from them.

In fairness they had a guy there to look after everyone. He bought me one pint and they put on a AUD$5,000 free-roll between 10 players (crapshoot could not begin to describe it)......

Unless I am being charged for entering a free-roll then they cannot have any justification for it :)...

Stephen.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

What about hotel expenses? Did you arrange your own or did they put you up?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭Flushdraw

Coke and strippers?

Now come on, own up....did you room with Hawkeye?

zuutroy wrote: »
    What about hotel expenses? Did you arrange your own or did they put you up?

All of that is accounted for. I arranged it on my own but they took care of the bill (I know how much the bill was and it was the same as in their breakdown)....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Maccattack

seriously man. take them to court and sue their arises (delete the i)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Just keep emailing them, try get an exact breakdown of what this "Entertainment/Expenses" was.

Maccattack wrote: »
    seriously man. take them to court and sue their arises (delete the i)

Yeah, I've gone to a solicitor about it already and have the name of the person that handles their legal stuff....I just really want to avoid going down that road at all costs, but if I don't have an alternative I am not going to let it go.

Really don't want to keep emailing them....So much time spent already on phone calls and emails without getting a response. But cheers for the advice.

Stephen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

I would send there Support Manager or someone important a link to this thread and tell him the same thread will be on 2+2 by the end of the week if they don't provide proper details or transfer of funds for the difference. I'll not be using betfair after reading this.

I wouldn't bother with the solicitor, total waste of time and expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,754 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I have had problems with Betfair in the past. They are very slow to respond, they never admit fault and they don't seem to respect the customer at all.

My problem was over a sports bet which I was offering to lay off, there was less available to lay than I was offering but they never admitted that there was a fault on their part. It was €100 and it was not worth taking further. Its very frustrating dealing with them.

• Advertisement

Ollieboy wrote: »
    I would send there Support Manager or someone important a link to this thread and tell him the same thread will be on 2+2 by the end of the week if they don't provide proper details or transfer of funds for the difference. I'll not be using betfair after reading this.

I wouldn't bother with the solicitor, total waste of time and expense.

Cheers Ollie,

Took you up on your advice....Now that I've started this thread I might as well keep the entertainment going :)

Hi xxxxxxxx,

I've posted this issue on an Irish poker forum:
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055523399

I think it will be worth your while taking a look.

I really do believe that I am entitled to that US$1,260. I know its not a huge amount of money, but its better off in my pocket than with your company. I spoke to my solicitor but I'm not sure how far I will get down that road as they don't really have much experience of online poker.

As I am sure you are aware I run pokerireland.ie ... ... We organise the largest live poker tournaments in Europe (The International Poker Open had 1,072 players in 2007 and 1,300 players in 2008). We have over 6,000 members on our database, from all over Europe.

I really would like to be able to say to everyone that this matter has been resolved to my satisfaction before I go any further down this road but I know one thing for sure....I am not going to let this go. I do intend to post this on every forum available to me, as well as make sure our entire database knows about this incident if I cannot get some sort of satisfactory answer. I will also follow up with the solicitor as I don't mind paying a few quid if it means I can get paid.

So in conclusion; Why have I been charged US$1,260 from my Aussie Millions package (which was worth US$15,000)?

Kind regards,

Stephen McLean.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

keep us all update...

I had a similiar problem with Pacific and got no where.

gl with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Gillybean72

Nice mail Stephen, good luck with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

It was misleading advertising by Betfair, so you need to go to the misleading advertising man imo. With luck you will get a refund, an apology (private and public), and they will get a fine. They got a Queen's award for industry iirc. I doubt they want to apologise in public.

Its reraise time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭a147pro

carfax wrote: »
    I spoke to my solicitor but I'm not sure how far I will get down that road as they don't really have much experience of online poker.

Remove this line! Insert something to the effect that you do not wish to have recourse to legal advice to resolve this issue but will do so if necessary.

TBH I don't think they'll take you seriously until you send them a solicitor's letter / legal proceedings.

I fought with Iberia for ages about them losing my bags and they ignored me for several months. I sent them legal proceedings and got a phone call offering me a cheque the next day!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭fatguy

Never fear! Misleading Advertising Man is here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Stick up a thread on the betfair forum and 2+2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Grafter

Life's too short (in the context of gettting any sense or satisfaction out of Betfair).

A couple of years ago they randomly, for no reason whatsoever, put money (a few hundred) into my Neteller account.

My Betfair balance was zero and I hadn't used the account in several months.

My neteller account (with a lot of money in it) got frozen while Betfair simultaneously demanded their money back, insisted I was lying about money having been put in my account and offered me a bonus as a high roller and valued customer.

(surprised this thread's still here. thought threatening court action was a big no no on here).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭valor

If you dont get satisfaction I think it would be pretty unprofessional to spam your several thousand members with your personal grievances

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

As far as I know you it's just a big no no to talk about legal action in relation to Boards.ie or Boards.ie members.

• Advertisement

valor wrote: »
    If you dont get satisfaction I think it would be pretty unprofessional to spam your several thousand members with your personal grievances

No way I would do that, lol.....I would tell everyone whenever I see them :D

• Subscribers Posts: 32,850 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I'm not really sure if this breaches the 'legal' rules on here (I know it doesn't breach the normal ones) but I am asking for clarification.

Edit: Yep, thread ok. For now at least.

5starpool wrote: »
    I'm not really sure if this breaches the 'legal' rules on here (I know it doesn't breach the normal ones) but I am asking for clarification.

Edit: Yep, thread ok. For now at least.

Sorry Dom, it didn't even cross my mind to ask you first before posting this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 278 ✭✭Rocky Balboa 2

WOW..Stick it to da man..Hope you get your money carfax

For anyone that wants to know;

I got sorted out with Betfair....Everything is all good in da hood again.

Cheers to everyone for their input, I needed a bit of moral support :)

Stephen.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

wp gg :)

• Registered Users Posts: 36,213 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

This post has been deleted.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Good man Ste, no wonder you were scoring goals for fun last night! :)

Lol, what's seldom is wonderful :)

Just got this sorted out this morning.

Stephen.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Serena08

Nice to see a happy ending for once fair play to you for sticking with it enjoy :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement