Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

good laptop repair in Galway?

Options
  • 27-03-2009 10:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭

I've been through all the stickies in the 'where to get your laptop repaired' thread, but there's sod all for Galway city.
    The integrated sound card on my vaio notebook is on the fritz and i need someone to take a look at it.
    Is there anyone trustworthy and reasonably priced i could take it to? google isnt throwing out much and I'd rather go by recommendation

Cheers

Edit: WTF? Weeks of troubleshooting my no sound issue, I print off loads of advice and hardware reports for reinstallation, manage to dig out my gf's XP cds etc, take a deep breath and prepare to backup, reformat and reinstall everything and the sound starts working again all of a sudden.
    Maybe it was scared? Thanks for the advice anyway guys, I'll see how long it keeps trucking for

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

The Advertiser has several consistant adverts from reputible repair companies each week, so take your choice from there. You could visit the Vaio website and reinstall the default sound card drivers and see does that fix the issue before handing over some cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Shaniev

Laptec beside the hole in the hall pub is always fine

Shaniev wrote: »
    Laptec beside the hole in the hall pub is always fine

Not according to a thread in Consumer Issues (I believe the same company in question)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭steel_spine

damn, laptec were looking like my best bet as well :(, what's gone wrong with people using them?
    I made a thread asking for advice before but got no replies - i've already tried uninstalling & reinstalling drivers, disabling/enabling device a few times, rolling back the last windows updates and downloading the chipsets from the mobo manufatucturers - I'm thinking by now the soundcard is physically hosed, unless there's anything else i can try

Are the guys in the advertiser trustworthy? I work in a job where I see what 'IT professionals' screw up everyday and was hoping for some word of mouth recommendations since i'm a bit paranoid lol

• Advertisement

I used to work for one of them so Im slightly biased, from the sound of your laptop issues, having reinstaled default drivers etc, the last ditch effort would be...drum roll...reinstall XP and default system drivers from Sony. IF that doesn't work and your 100% sure the drivers are correct theres not much can be done if its onboard sound. Another alternative is the Creative Audigy Soundcard which is PCMCIA compatible. Just an idea but a tricky thing to diagnose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭steel_spine

majiktripp wrote: »
    I used to work for one of them so Im slightly biased, from the sound of your laptop issues, having reinstaled default drivers etc, the last ditch effort would be...drum roll...reinstall XP and default system drivers from Sony. IF that doesn't work and your 100% sure the drivers are correct theres not much can be done if its onboard sound. Another alternative is the Creative Audigy Soundcard which is PCMCIA compatible. Just an idea but a tricky thing to diagnose.
    Sadly the one thing i cannot do is wipe and reinstall :( I bought the laptop from a workmate about a year ago, so though it has a legit copy of XP on it, i don't have the boot disks or any way of getting them (they moved away)
    i had a look through the advertiser and thing i might give pccorner on newcastle st a go, they're nearby so I can drop round and see what they say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭kahaya

There is a company in Ballybrit called Quicktec Computers and they have a good repair man. They also make new PC's. I used to work for them and am still in contact regularly. The phone number is 091 756070.

kahaya wrote: »
    There is a company in Ballybrit called Quicktec Computers and they have a good repair man. They also make new PC's. I used to work for them and am still in contact regularly. The phone number is 091 756070.

I thought Quictec were more for the business end really? Didn't think they catered the home user.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭kahaya

They do concentrate on business but if you want a repair done go there, they'll get it done, or at least advise on what's best to do.
    They do cater for the home user too. In this day and age they're not going to turn down any business.

• Advertisement
Advertisement