Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Debenhams rip off

Options
  • 26-03-2009 10:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Bought kids clothes in Debenhams today. €18.50. When i got home i peeled back the sticker to find £12 sterling. Returned it and got my money back. Thieving bast*rds.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭rameire

oh deary me.
    i dont know.
    how could they.
    its the end of the world.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 23,994 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

xword wrote: »
    Bought kids clothes in Debenhams today. €18.50. When i got home i peeled back the sticker to find £12 sterling. Returned it and got my money back. Thieving bast*rds.

How much did it cost you in time and money to get there and back?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

feckin chancers done it to me in the January Sales,

Spent hours walking around the shop, picking out and trying loads of clothes, all the rails had 70% off etc written on them... the que to pay took about 20 minutes, nice girl checked in all the items.. well within my 250 budget I thought.....total came to about 700, oh sorry sir you picked all the new items, had to pull out the credit card, I felt swindled...I know I could have handed them back, but at that stage I was a bet man...and just wanted to get home and put on my new shoes...:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭aassddff

Didnt one of the UK cos commit to selling their clothes in Ireland at the same euro prices as the sterling price in the uk?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

Not that I'm siding with Debenhams BUT...since those clothes had to be transported from the UK isn't their an added cost? And if Debenhams bought those clothes say, before the Euro was almost on parity with the Pound, when it was more expensive, they can hardly retroactively change the price, they'd still be making a loss?

Still, what makes more sense is that they just charged more because it's Ireland :/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

the extra cost of runing a business in ireland does not add up to using debenhams ridiculous 1.55 exchange.

next, b&q, oasis, karen millen, coast have all changed to approx. 1.25

independent irish retailers also work on a 1.20 / 1.25 sterlling price exchange

and in any case debenhams uk prices are considered high in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭Trampas

and people still buy the irish times and indo without complaining.

OP you were lucky they took it back from you as they didn't have to

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

xword wrote: »
    I don't understand, why on earth did you pay €18.50 in the first place if it was really so expensive?

What are you going to do now? you have to clothe your kids, so are you going to go to a similar shop and buy similar clothes for €18.50 as long as they do not have prices shown for other countries too?

Would you bring back a big mac when you find out it is cheaper in other countries?

You willingly paid, there is no "thieving" going on.

Advertisement