Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iss

Options
  • 26-03-2009 9:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭

having just watch the iss passing over head i am in dublin looking south,i want to know is it possible to see the shuttle sts-119 which undocked earlyier with the naked eye or do i need powerful scope, and would it be traveling ahead or behind the iss time wise,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭BravoMike

I don't know if the shuttle is visable to the naked eye but here is a list of when it is passing over Irelands direction.

http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/realdata/sightings/cities/view.cgi?country=Ireland&region=None&city=Dublin

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,017 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Last night I watched 2 bright satellites pass overhead at 20:03 (yes i checked!) and it was a spectacular sight. One was much brighter than the other, by far the brightest thing in the sky last night, so would I be correct in assuming one was the shuttle and the brighter one was the ISS?

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭spatchco

well Gaspode you were lucky,i saw the iss but must have just missed the shuttle both went over at 19.59 to 20.04, so dam hope the vis is good to night:o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,017 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

spatchco wrote: »
    well Gaspode you were lucky,i saw the iss but must have just missed the shuttle both went over at 19.59 to 20.04, so dam hope the vis is good to night:o

:cool: Excellent, that's my first sighting of the shuttle so after many years hoping to catch a glimpse.

Just been outsdie and it pi££ing rain here so no viewing of the ISS tonight! :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

Gaspode wrote: »
    Last night I watched 2 bright satellites pass overhead at 20:03 (yes i checked!) and it was a spectacular sight. One was much brighter than the other, by far the brightest thing in the sky last night, so would I be correct in assuming one was the shuttle and the brighter one was the ISS?
    Yes you were correct. Both Station and Shuttle are visible, The ISS is by far the brightest passing first followed by the slightly dimmer Shuttle. A fantastic sight. Bad news is Shuttle lands this evening at 17:38 so no more passes for the Shuttle until next ISS mission sometime in June. The ISS however will continue to be visible
    http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/realdata/sightings/cities/skywatch.cgi?country=Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭trishasaffron

As I read the NASA site these are the times for the ISS and the Shuttle tonight - am I right?

ISS Sat Mar 28/08:54 PM 2 12 10 above WSW 12 above SSW
    SHUTTLE Sat Mar 28/08:50 PM 2 13 10 above WSW 13 above SSW

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

As I read the NASA site these are the times for the ISS and the Shuttle tonight - am I right?

ISS Sat Mar 28/08:54 PM 2 12 10 above WSW 12 above SSW
    SHUTTLE Sat Mar 28/08:50 PM 2 13 10 above WSW 13 above SSW
    ISS time is right but the Shuttle times are only there in the case that the Shuttle did not land as planned due to bad weather etc. As it happened the Shuttle did land at 19:14.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

is there people in the iss?
    Whats it even for?

Saw it last night, low and dull, bit meh

mukki wrote: »
    is there people in the iss?
    Whats it even for?

Saw it last night, low and dull, bit meh

6 people on board at the moment. It is used to carry out scientific experments and to study the long term effects of weightlessness on the human body to allow us to plan for trips to Mars and to the stars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭An Fear Aniar

If you get the ISS going overhead it's really bright, even illuminates the clouds a little.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,757 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Friday night you could clearly see both the shuttle & ISS passing over. The shuttle was around 2 to 3 Moon diameters ahead of ISS and not quite so bright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭An Fear Aniar

Hill Billy wrote: »
    Friday night you could clearly see both the shuttle & ISS passing over. The shuttle was around 2 to 3 Moon diameters ahead of ISS and not quite so bright.

The moon's diameter is about half a degree (from horizon to zenith is 90 degrees) so you could say it was 1.5 degrees ahead - easier to phrase and makes you sound clever.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭pad180

im only dropping in here to ask a question .
    i live in south dublin on the coast . any way i was out the back garden last night sat 4-apr .
    i looked up to the sky as it was real clear night and saw a bright orange object moving from the west to east then fading out .the time was excactly 11.0.4 i think it was the iss .can someone confrim if it was due to go over at that time, or even indeed was it something eles im very curious to know .

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭BravoMike

It definately wasn't the ISS, it currently passes over Ireland during the day. For times that the ISS can be seen have a look at this link
    http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/realdata...ne&city=Dublin

Advertisement