Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

laptop advice

Options
  • 26-03-2009 7:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭

hi

my wife has been offered a laptop deal through work.

would anyone have an opinion on whether it is good or not.

HP ELITEBOOK 8530W

HIGH END LAPTOP

15.4"WSVGA SCREEN

INTEL DUAL CORE 2.4GHZ

2 GB RAM

160 GB HARD DRIVE

DVD +/-UB

NVIDIA QUADRO FX570-512MB GRAPHICS ADAPTER

OPTICAL MOUSE

3 YRS NEXT DAY ON SITE (FULL PARTS AND LABOUR)

MICROSOFT LEARNING SUITE

MICROSOFT OFFICE PROFESSIONAL 2007 EDITION (PERPETUAL)

SYMANTEC ANTIVIRUS (1 YEAR)

€850

INC VAT AND DELIVERY

thats all the description i got

thanks in advance

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Those spec's are a bit vague. But, one thing we definitely need to know is, what is this laptop going to be used for? Everyday office etc? or autocad/graphic work? Is mobility an issue? Will it spend it's life on a desk? Or will it be lugged around? Is a large screen important? What's the smallest screen you could live with?

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭shovel

thanks for the reply.

laptop is for home use only.would be used around the house

mainly internet, word processing, photos, footage from camcorder,etc

the desktop ( 2001 pentium 4 running windows xp)we have is quite old,has no dvd writer so have to use dvd recorder in real time to burn stuff from camcorder.

the main thing is large screen size and dvd rewriter and work faster than the desktop (shouldn't be hard!)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 all_nippon

Hi

If you check out the same model on the HP website it says
    HP EliteBook 8530w Mobile Workstation - starting from €1454 Exc. VAT
    So it seems that your wife is getting a good deal.
    But for your requirements it's seems a bit on the high side you could pick up a laptop for about €600 that would meet your needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

Not a bad deal, reasonable spec along with a copy of office 2007 thrown in (whatever perpetual means?!)
    Remove the Symantic Antivirus and throw on something less cack and it should do the job for you pretty well. That said it is a bit OTT for what your looking for also, a basic deal would have everything you require including DVD burner , wireless etc for a bit less that works asking price.

Thanks again for all the replies.

From looking around,it seems to be a catch 22,

Looking for a large screen size,good battery life,with the dvd writer,and fast.

Cant seem to find anything that is not at the high end.

Was looking for the above for around the €600 but just cant seem to find anything.

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭StopNotWorking

Seems like a good deal to me(but I'm not in the habbit of buying "performance" notebooks). If you are looking for something just to do light work then yes that machine would be overkill. But it should last you a while without need for replacement. If I was to buy this I would consider it a good save rather then having to buy a budget machine and finding it unable to cope with basic tasks in 2 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

since when could they slap 512meg gfx into a 15" chassis, the heat from that would be a killer.

or else its shared graphic ram more likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭StopNotWorking

Don't think too much of the GPU. It's a line nvidia made to try convince companies to go with them instead of integrated graphics from intel. I have the desktop version of one of those cards in this computer in work and I can tell you they are hardly anything worth looking at. And I imagine they are nothing compared to the 9800m or 3740.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 microvibe

Hi Shovel

You can get laptops with the same spec starting at about €699.00. I would find out about the 3yr package and the cost of this as local retailers charge from €99.00 just for this. It has a good size graphics card so if it was me I would not spend more than €750.00 to €800. Look around and compare.

Microvibe:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

A poster put this one up on another thread, not too bad either from Komplett.ie at €709, slightly lower clock speed but still excellent specs for the price. http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=422865

• Advertisement

Finally decided that it was probably too high specced for our needs.

Will keep looking.

Thanks for all the help.

Shovel

Advertisement