Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First date

Options
  • 26-03-2009 7:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭

got a strange one here.. i'v been texting this girl for a week now.. think its about time to ask for a date... already met her a couple of times while we were both out.. the question is... does anyone have any idea if it would be acceptable to take her to a cage fight martial arts boxing match for the evening... i know it sounds strange but a friend of mine is fighting on saturday night in galway and i already said i would go and support him but i also recon I should take this girl out.. if i leave it another week it might fizzle out..

so I thought a few hours at the fight then a nice walk somewhere... or some late supper...

myself i think it would be different and a bit quirky.. not ur usual run of the mill first date... and she's quite a refined girl... but I don't think she'd mind roughing it for a night...

any thoughts appreciated... as I got to sort something by tomorrow night

me 34 male...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭chiefwiggum

i'd only take a girl to a fight if i knew for sure she wouldnt mind...suss her out..i know plenty of girls who would be disgusted at such a first date...but whatever your gut feeling is go with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Id check it with her if I were you.

Ask for a date (dont specify the night), if she says yes then say 'if youd be into a cage fight we can have date sat nite, otherwise I wont be free til whenever - its just ive already agreed to go support a pal on sat nite who is fighting'.

That way if she isnt into the cage fight you still have agreement for a later date.

But I definitely wouldnt spring that on her without mentioning it first!! It tis a bit quirky etc...but some people would be physically sickened watching something like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

i agree to suss her out.

a friend of minew was at the boxing in the O2 arena saturday night and she loved it

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Icdb

That's all i needed to hear... no Shock horror how could you even think of taking a date etc.... I'll sound her out about it... and if not.. pony up my 30 euro just to see my mate fight and then meet her somewhere afterwards

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Tell her your friend has a martial arts cage fight and ask her if she'd like to go with you. Then suggest going for a meal or drink before or after the fight just in case she says no.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭Seraphina

hahah. I may have been to an MMA fight for a first date with a guy once. however i was actually doing mma at the time myself... some girls might not be into it, but tbh i can't see why she'd have a problem seeing some hot men beat the **** out of eachother lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭SarahSassy

I personally would hate it but if I liked you and wanted to go out on a first date with you I would probably agree.

If I were here I would prefer something more neutral until ye get to a stage where she feels she can say no without jeopardising a further date.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,280 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Go out with her on Friday night or spend all day Sunday with her instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭zxcvbnm1

Zaph wrote: »

Exactly. Can't believe you were the only person to suggest the most obvious solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭pseudonym1

I'd say go for it - you are asking her to see a friend which means you take her seriously. Its something different. Dealbreaker imo. Even if she hates it you both may have a laugh about it.

Could always compensate on date 2 something romantic and gentle. Or counter act the evening with some TLC :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 greatandgood

God no.

See the fight for your mate's sake on Saturday but leave her out.

Do something you think SHE'D like to do for a first date..for god's sake..obvious much?

God no.

See the fight for your mate's sake on Saturday but leave her out.

Do something you think SHE'D like to do for a first date..for god's sake..obvious much?

it seems feminism has passed you by:eek:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Exactly, easiest solution overall :)

Failing that, postpone the date for a week, explaining that you've an obligation to friends.

CDfm wrote: »
    it seems feminism has passed you by:eek:

Sorry, what? Feminism means bringing a girl to an event which (I'd lay good money on) she has absolutely no interest in?

Save your pithy smart alec answers and address the OP's issue why don't you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭pseudonym1

Op only you know this girl. Personally if you like her and visa versa you will inevitably enjoy each others company. Its not like its a boxing fight and there will be blood and stuuff- least thats not what I deemed MA fight would be like - its more about skill.

Sorry, what? Feminism means bringing a girl to an event which (I'd lay good money on) she has absolutely no interest in?

ROFL

It was my birthday on Saturday -me I got a facial and went shopping with my g/f and later went to dinner and the theatre - all the way in there in the car she bitched and moaned if i said anything -interfering with her enjoyment of the rugby - got home around 11 and she turns on the boxing.:D

nuff said.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

In fairness I have to say I went to an MMA event on a first date, but it was me who asked him to go.

OP, see her on the Friday or the Sunday, or meet her on the Friday and if it goes well, ask her if she wants to go on the Saturday too, say you'll leave after your friend fights or whatever.

greatandgood -speak to us -are you ok?:D

friday night can't do I'm seeing Me And Marley with my brothers kids... and I've been promising to do something with them for ages

ROFL

It was my birthday on Saturday -me I got a facial and went shopping with my g/f and later went to dinner and the theatre - all the way in there in the car she bitched and moaned if i said anything -interfering with her enjoyment of the rugby - got home around 11 and she turns on the boxing.:D

nuff said.

also i wouldn't blame anyone who got annoyed being taken away from the rugby... I missed the last 10 mins...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭upmeath

I wouldn't dream of asking her to it, sorry mate. First date means first impression and it's often said a first impression lasts. You don't just want her to condone or persevere this choice of first date, you want her to enjoy it. And unless you can say with your hand on your heart that's she's care-free and light-hearted enough to go along to this and get the same kicks out of it that you are then I'd seriously see about doing something on Sunday afternoon/evening instead!

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Icdb, have to say that I don't think it makes a good first date. I am well used to watching sports and think that if you were dating longer it would be fine, but as a lot of first impressions are made on first date you risk coming across as "not that bothered".
    What you could do is meet her earlier in the day, have bite to eat possibly? Tell her you have told your buddy you will be there and then ask if she wants to come along. But definitely make a plan to meet for following Fri/Sat.. oh and txt her in the meantime and let her know you enjoy her company.
    I would not expect someone to let down a friend on my behalf..in fact I would be impressed by how good BF is to his pals. If she isn't mature enough to understand that well........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

I was only at 1 MMA and the fellas fighting were fine.
    But I found the girls fighting hard to take; smashing the losing girls head into the canvas for minutes on end.

So I'd try something more mainstream as a first date.

i'm a bloke btw.

Icdb wrote: »
    also i wouldn't blame anyone who got annoyed being taken away from the rugby... I missed the last 10 mins...
    InReality wrote: »
    I was only at 1 MMA and the fellas fighting were fine.
    But I found the girls fighting hard to take; smashing the losing girls head into the canvas for minutes on end.
    pseudonym1 wrote: »
    Op only you know this girl. Personally if you like her and visa versa you will inevitably enjoy each others company. Its not like its a boxing fight and there will be blood and stuuff- least thats not what I deemed MA fight would be like - its more about skill.
    Silverfish wrote: »
    In fairness I have to say I went to an MMA event on a first date, but it was me who asked him to go.

I can just hear G/f when she reads this - bitch moan - you never bring me anywhere nice :mad:

thanks for replies... im gonna sound her out... and if not do something soppy on Sunday...

greatandgood -speak to us -are you ok?:D
    Just dandy, thanks. Not a (female) fan of boxing though as you may have guessed

Advertisement