Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

lime and hemp house

Options
  • 26-03-2009 5:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

hi there,

anyone interested in seeing a lime and hemp house being built by me near mullingar are most welcome

thanks mike

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭Cheeble

Can you put some photos up on a website?

Cheeble-eers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

Mullingar is a little far for me to travel, but would be interested in hearing more about this project, or seeing some pics!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭derry

Maybe you can set up a site online with facts and links

Mayby some facts and figures also

Like is it legal to grow hemp in ROI
    Is it legal to import hemp In ROI
    How much it costs etc

What about insurance will it be more like thathed cottages are higher insurance rates

Can it be used as insulation intead of fibre glass or similar

Is it rot resistant if it ingresses water or damp or fungus etc

lots of facts to be answered

Derry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 topper8328

yes, it is legal to grow hemp in the north of ireland. Not sure about the republic tho. Insurance wise, I am building a timber frame structure with the lime and hemp encased around it. Banks had no prob with it.

It's on average 3 degrees warmer than a normal house, so I have 300mm of solid thermal mass. I have cast the inside walls too. I have researched 3 years ago about building with these materials and visited the CAT centre in Wales (Centre of Alternative Technology) set in Machynlleth in the north wales mountains. It was a think tank weekend of all the experts of the lime industry, hemp growers, insulation etc. I was even more convinced that this is the most sustainable natural building resource available.

One of the guys present was an expert in seeds and advises the uk government on its farming policy. He outlined that hemp has a growing season of 8 months, can grow on any soil, grows up to 12 feet high and actually draws up nutrients from deep down in the soil so that the next crop, say potatoes, grow even better. It is so versatile, check it up on the web.

In the mixture, I mixed hydraulic lime and hydrated lime ( A German lime used as a binder) and a bale of hemp (Approx 22kg bales). It mixes quite a dry mix for shuttering and I have to say even my expectations have been exceeded. The hemp came in from England and i got the lime in carlow. You get to know the network of lime and hemp builders very quickly in ireland!

I am up to my eyeballs in work at the moment, but i hope to get all this onto a website and some photos too. hope this helps!

mike

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Fair play to ya. Its a big step to go with a construction mode so far from the mainstream. Definitely put some pics up at least. If I was at home I'd call over for a look, a mate of mine in uni did his thesis on limecrete, but found it extremely difficult to get any support for it from the CIF cabal running the thesis review board....bloody typical. Plus I know someone that went one further and did the strawbale and sod-roof. PM if you want to get in touch with them for any cul de sacs you may find yourself in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Definitely be interested in having a look - what stage is it at? Can you PM contact details. Best of luck with the build.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Ro33

Mike-Congrats on taking on such an ambitious project! I would be very interested in seeing house-I have just started a PhD in the area ( 2 days ago). Could you PM me details.

Also angryhippie- any chance your mate who did a thesis in the area would mind someone having a look at it - am trying to collate as much information together as possible at the mo.

Advertisement