Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fine Gael Broadband 21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

Hmmm....a lot of it already in the NGN 10 point plan already....still, good to see some new ideas also. I wish anyone with ambitious plans well :)

http://www.finegael.ie/news/documents/RBI1.pdf

2. Broadband 21

Next Generation Broadband is a catch-all description for a telecoms network that
    provides two-way, uncontested high broadband bandwidth that will provide the basis
    for a new range of information-intensive service industries and applications,
    particularly in the areas of digital media, entertainment, education, finance and health.
    Ireland has fallen way behind other countries in the provision of Next Generation
    Networks, without which we cannot hope to compete internationally.

The NewERA programme will establish and finance a new State company, Broadband
    21, to invest an additional €2.5 billion in amalgamating and building out the diverse
    telecom assets of existing state companies, including Bord Gáis, the NRA, the ESB
    and the MANs (Metropolitan Area Networks). The case for re-acquiring the
    infrastructure assets of eircom will also be assessed under this programme.
    The result will be a new, pan-national, open-access, high-connectivity fibre-optic and
    wireless network that supports the delivery by private telecoms carriers of next
    generation broadband services to every home and business in Ireland, with speeds of
    between 50 and 100 Megabytes per Second (Mbps) available to 90% of the
    population by 2013, giving Ireland one of the most advanced systems in the world.
    The investment will be repaid over 30 years by telecom carriers delivering additional
    next generation services, such as education, health, entertainment and
    communications, to their customers. For further details, see Appendix 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Thraktor

Here's the more detailed version:
    Appendix 2 Broadband 21

The NewERA programme would establish and finance a new State company,
    Broadband 21, to amalgamate and build out the diverse telecom assets of existing
    state companies, including Bord Gáis, CIE, ESB and the MANs, to create a new, pan-
    national, open-access, next generation broadband network, to be paid for over 25
    years by telecoms carriers and their home and business customers in delivering next
    generation services, such as education, health, entertainment and communications.

For any country seeking to compete in the modern global economy, a top-class high-
    speed, “next generation” broadband network is important. For Fine Gael, whose
    strategy under “NewERA” is to promote Ireland as a centre for green technologies
    and international trade in services, such infrastructure is absolutely vital.

This is because Next Generation Networks (NGNs) – a catch-all description for a
    telecoms network that provides two-way, uncontested high broadband bandwidth –
    will provide the basis for a new range of information-intensive service industries,
    particularly in the areas of business and consumer software applications, digital
    media, entertainment, education, and health. They will also provide a test-bed for new
    technological developments in software and equipment by Irish entrepreneurs. For the
    user in the home, some of the most popular services only available over NGNs will
    include video-on-demand and high quality VoIP telephone services.

Our existing infrastructure is simply not up to the task. According to the National
    Competitiveness Council, broadband penetration among firms in Ireland is the second
    worst among the EU-15, and is particularly low among small businesses.8 Even where
    broadband is available, it is often of such low quality (bandwidth) that it not capable
    of supporting the “next generation” services being rolled out in other countries.

The key to a high-speed broadband network that enables Ireland to leap-frog to a
    leading international position is fibre cable. While wireless solutions have a role to
    play, particularly in isolated rural areas, a truly ambitious plan that will deliver high-
    speed will have to be based on a fibre cable network reaching throughout the country.

But in countries like Ireland with low population densities, widespread roll-out of
    high-speed fibre networks is too expensive, and the pay-back period too long, to be
    quickly delivered by the private sector. eircom has announced a scaling-back of its
    already limited investment plans, and all private telcos are struggling to raise capital
    for new investment. It is crucial that the State now take the lead in this area.

Under NewERA, Fine Gael would establish a state company, Broadband 21, to invest
    €2.5 billion over three years in building high-speed fibre infrastructure throughout the
    country. Subject to a full audit of existing state infrastructure in Government, we
    would expect that this investment would deliver symmetric and uncontested
    broadband speeds of over 50Mbps to 90% of the population by 2013.

A small proportion of this investment by Broadband 21 would be to acquire and fill in
    the gaps between the existing, but fragmented, fibre networks of state companies. For
    example, the ESB owns a 1300-km figure of eight-shaped fibre network extending
    throughout the country. Through the Metropolitan Area Networks, the state owns
    stand-alone, and isolated, fibre networks around most cities and major towns. The
    National Roads Authority owns substantial amounts of telecoms infrastructure, as do
    Iarnrod Eireann, Bord Gais and Bord na Mona. By integrating these networks,
    Broadband 21 would create a complete state-owned “backhaul” fibre network, to
    compete with eircom’s existing backhaul monopoly.

The bigger problem with our broadband network, however, is the so-called “last mile”
    – the link from the exchange in the town to the cabinet on the street, and from the
    cabinet on the street to the home. In most areas, this part of the network is still low-
    capacity copper wire, and is the major obstacle to high-speed broadband connectivity.

The vast bulk of the NewERA investment of €2.5billion will be to upgrade this
    infrastructure to fibre cable in the most highly populated areas of the country
    accounting for 90% of the population (i.e. those not covered by the National
    Broadband Scheme).

Unlike copper wire, fibre cable must be housed in underground pipes known as
    “ducts”. Also, technical equipment in exchanges and cabinets must be upgraded in
    order to facilitate this cable. The engineering and construction works associated with
    laying ducts in the ground and installing equipment represents the major part of the
    cost of building a fibre network – up to 80% according to one study.

Subject to the findings of our audit, we would propose that the major part of the
    State’s investment will be in these civil engineering works. Having built the
    infrastructure, the State would then generate a return by renting access to it to private
    companies providing broadband services to customers. Broadband 21 would not
    become a telecoms “carrier”, providing services directly to businesses or the public.

There are, of course, several privately-owned telecommunications companies that
    already own substantial ducting networks throughout the country, including eircom,
    UPC and BT. A Fine Gael Government would enter into negotiations with these
    private operators for the purpose of making this ducting available on a commercial
    basis to other operators who may wish to use it. This would prevent duplication of
    investment. Such negotiations have been successful in other countries, such as France.

The financial and strategic case for re-acquiring the infrastructure assets of eircom
    would also be assessed. eircom is now effectively controlled by its bond-holders, but
    could likely be purchased at a fraction of the nominal value of the debt.

Low population density and distances between houses in some isolated rural mean
    that investment in fibre there will be unprofitable. However, the capability of wireless
    technology to supply high-bandwidth connectivity is developing rapidly. This is
    particularly the case if there is fibre backhaul connectivity nearby, and so the
    expanding reach of the fibre network under NewERA will mean that high-speed
    wireless connections can be a reality in rural areas. State investment in the up-front
    costs of providing such technology will be available where necessary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Any coverage on this issue is good coverage. We are so far behind, is is disgraceful at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

fergalfrog wrote: »
    Enda Kenny is on radio 1 right now on how they would address the broadband issue.

http://www.finegael.ie/news/index.cfm/type/details/nkey/37057/pkey/653/

Sounds reasonable so far, hopefully they will consult with all the relevant stakeholders and real consumer groups like IoffL and not pretend consumer groups. Those ones that have been conspicuously absent over the past few years (and weeks) while consumer rights have been seriously eroded.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Is this part of the 4 year plan to create 100k jobs? If so I'd have serious concerns about their idea of raiding the pension fund for it.

adam

• Advertisement

Frankly, I don't think they'd need to put forward as much up-front government cash as they're planning to. If they get the ISPs on board early and have them pay, say, 5 year's rent for the network up-front, it would cover a considerable chunk of the overall cost of installation. I can imagine the ISPs would be happy to do so, as it would still end up far cheaper than developing their own comparable networks.

Thraktor wrote: »
    Frankly, I don't think they'd need to put forward as much up-front government cash as they're planning to. If they get the ISPs on board early and have them pay, say, 5 year's rent for the network up-front, it would cover a considerable chunk of the overall cost of installation. I can imagine the ISPs would be happy to do so, as it would still end up far cheaper than developing their own comparable networks.

I agree on the cash front but 5 years rent will not fly in current world. Other (better) ways to do this.

5 year's rent was a bit of a random suggestion off the top of my head, I'll admit (I don't know what the numbers would be like), but my point was that the government should be able to get quite a bit up-front to cover some of the costs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Why would you even bother with eircom , this plan will only fly if you can prove that eircom is irredeemably bust ...if it is an FTTH plan , if an FTTC plan then yes...obviously .

However you must then add compexity and cost with fibre > copper MSAN type solutions of which you will need 10 or even 10s of 1000s .

I shall hold judgement on this but I would dearly like to speak to Inda 8)

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭trekkypj

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Why would you even bother with eircom , this plan will only fly if you can prove that eircom is irredeemably bust ...if it is an FTTH plan , if an FTTC plan then yes...obviously .

However you must then add compexity and cost with fibre > copper MSAN type solutions of which you will need 10 or even 10s of 1000s .

I shall hold judgement on this but I would dearly like to speak to Inda 8)

The problem is that Eircom is the only game in town when it comes to rural telecom infrastructure. Sad that this is the case but there it is.

Eircom needs to be nationalised for the simple reason that it can't maintain the network it's got to provide bog standard DSL, never mind next gen services. They're not getting the exchanges enabled quickly enough and the company is going to end up insolvent if they can't deliver an acceptable service.

Even if it's only a temporary measure, nationalisation will allow the Government to get the other telcos on board to fund a comprehensive upgrade plan under a public-private partnership.

All those poles and copper wires will have to be replaced with ducting and fibre long-term. Eircom can't do it, but they control the last mile and in order to ensure minimum disruption while the transition was made, you need to nationalise the network and throw it open to all competitors.

Thats the only way we will be able to get this country a proper telecoms network.

Fine Gael's plans are good but not ambitious enough.

• Advertisement

trekkypj wrote: »
    The problem is that Eircom is the only game in town when it comes to rural telecom infrastructure. Sad that this is the case but there it is.

Eircom needs to be nationalised for the simple reason that it can't maintain the network it's got to provide bog standard DSL, never mind next gen services. They're not getting the exchanges enabled quickly enough and the company is going to end up insolvent if they can't deliver an acceptable service.

Even if it's only a temporary measure, nationalisation will allow the Government to get the other telcos on board to fund a comprehensive upgrade plan under a public-private partnership.

All those poles and copper wires will have to be replaced with ducting and fibre long-term. Eircom can't do it, but they control the last mile and in order to ensure minimum disruption while the transition was made, you need to nationalise the network and throw it open to all competitors.

Thats the only way we will be able to get this country a proper telecoms network.

Fine Gael's plans are good but not ambitious enough.

But if, as you say, Eircom's infrastructure isn't up to scratch and needs to be completely replaced, why bother nationalising Eircom in the first place, why not just build a new network from scratch?

I agree that Fine Gael aren't being ambitious enough, but it's a big step up from what the other parties are talking about, so at least it's a step in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

7 or 9 years ago our phone line (900m from exchange) got so bad that even 19.2k data was unrelaible. eircom refused to admit there was a problem.

We got Chorus Wireless phone which worked flawlessly from mast about 13km and supported error free zero packet loss 49kbps dialup. Comreg withdrew the licence as they didn't roll out enough.

Digiweb Metro can do 20km (or even 45km with a larger "aerial"). The technology can be applied on 410MHz, 900MHz, very Non-Line of sight. I get 7Mbps down, 1Mbps up and two VOIP "phone lines" with good enough QOS for fax and dialup modem. I have two real geo-Numbers, two sets of ordinary DECT cordless phones and a networked MFC Fax/scanner/copier/printer.

An new network would be mix of Fibre, HFC (FTTC + Coax), VDSL/FTTC, and high capacity LOS high performance fixed wireless, and cheap low capacity long range Non-LOS high performance fixed wireless. Voice would all be by dedicated QOS VOIP with interconnectors at the network edge (no regular calls over the "actual" internet). True NGN like UPC, Digiweb, Magnet and Smart already do.

eircom by lack of investment is almost becoming worthless.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭trekkypj

Thraktor wrote: »
    But if, as you say, Eircom's infrastructure isn't up to scratch and needs to be completely replaced, why bother nationalising Eircom in the first place, why not just build a new network from scratch?

I agree that Fine Gael aren't being ambitious enough, but it's a big step up from what the other parties are talking about, so at least it's a step in the right direction.

My point is that a bankrupt Eircom will put all telephone services, especially in rural areas, at risk.

Yes build a new network by all means but the old one will have to keep operating at some base level until this is done. Nationalisation is the only way to achieve this as Eircom is unsaleable as it is now - too much debt, not enough income. It's a mess.

And I agree that FG have gone further than most in what they're proposing but they need to just go that bit further.

Yes, though with maybe < 67% households having lines, call boxes like tumble weeds and 120% mobile penetration, it's not as dark a thought as it would have been 10 years ago to simply turn out the lights.

However I agree it should "somehow" be kept going at a subsistence level if it does go under. But it shouldn't get a cent of money otherwise. In many ways it's 25 year old exchange & core network technology with 150 year old last mile technology.

(I'm not claiming the pairs to the house are ACTUALLY 150 years old).

Obviously, it has to be kept going, in some fashion. Giving eircom what they want for their NGN plan is not the solution.

I see our friends over is Digiweb have also launched 2 way 2Mbps satellite for under 35 quid a month...interesting....for a few reasons (I am not the worlds greatest satellite fan but still)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭mumhaabu

crawler wrote: »
    I see our friends over is Digiweb have also launched 2 way 2Mbps satellite for under 35 quid a month...interesting....for a few reasons (I am not the worlds greatest satellite fan but still)

The less said about this the better, 1.2GB traffic available,:eek: The heart bleeds, I have downloaded over 4gigs alone this afternoon.

1G or 5G is not unusual for Mobile. Mobile HSDPA can have worse latency, so in areas of poor mobile performance it's in many cases a higher performance fixed alternative to Mobile

Advertisement