Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IoffL in the news

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

http://www.herald.ie/national-news/we-can-slash-cost-of-phonelines-with-more-competition-1687003.html

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/irish-line-rental-rate-highest-in-eu-at-836425--a-month-1686478.html

"A spokesman for the commission said the "predominant reason" for the high cost of landlines in Ireland was that 40pc of Irish people live in rural areas, compared to an average of 15pc across the EU, making connections more expensive."

Is this the best excuse they can come up with? Nothing to do with the fact that their flawed ideologies have failed?

I call that utter bull****, plain and simple and I don't apologise for using that kind of language.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

bealtine wrote: »
    Is this the best excuse they can come up with? Nothing to do with the fact that their flawed ideologies have failed?

What flawed ideologies?

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭fergalfrog

Eamon Wallace (IoffL) is on today fm's last word at the moment discussing line rental with Paul Bradley (Eircom's Head of Communications)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

That Paul Bradley knows how to answer a question. eircom remain the masters of spin. I think he really stumped Eamon with his "over-all call basket" argument. I personally couldn't care less about call costs, as I use my phone for broadband only. Bundled call plans mean nothing to a lot of people in this country. When you put line rental and broadband price together, it's quite expensive, even compered to other domestically available services like Cable and Wireless. You don't even have to compare us to Europe when talking about broadband.

Anyone have any concrete evidence on Bradley's assertion that there are 1.4 million DSL capable lines (out of 1.7 million total lines), which is 82%? Looking at Limerick alone, on eircom's own site, there are only 15 out of 40 exchanges currently enabled for Broadband.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Eamon was a bit lost for words, first time on the radio I wonder? Sounded exactly like me the first time I was on anyway. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭IrelandOffline_

dahamsta wrote: »
    Eamon was a bit lost for words, first time on the radio I wonder? Sounded exactly like me the first time I was on anyway. :)

Quite frankly I was shocked at the misleading statistics being quoted as if they were facts. Then Matt made it sound like the misleading statistics were in fact the absolute truth...

It seemed to me the whole thing was a stitchup. I had to wear headphones during the interview and the volume was deafening on the damn things. I couldn't even hear myself think.

They wouldn't give me the any upfront on the agenda either that is a matter of common courtesy.

Simple but effective tricks I suppose.

Unfortunately you need to fight fire with fire Eamon. I think SpongeBob or someone else posted a rebuttal of the baskets argument on the mailing list the other day, might be handy for next time. A small fact sheet close to hand can be very handy.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

They wouldn't give me the any upfront on the agenda either that is a matter of common courtesy.

What do you mean by an "upfront"?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

researchers on current affairs programmes normally tell you what the segment is about because they prepare questions for the presenters. Mick O Leary will not go on a news program without the list of questions and will make a pre prepared speech to see the segment out if any 'new' questions are introduced to ambush him .

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    researchers on current affairs programmes normally tell you what the segment is about because they prepare questions for the presenters. Mick O Leary will not go on a news program without the list of questions and will make a pre prepared speech to see the segment out if any 'new' questions are introduced to ambush him .

But this segment was based around a press release sent out by IOFFL; there shouldn't be any need for the researcher to tell the IOFFL spokesperson what the segment would be about.

It's a major journalistic no-no to give an interviewee or guest the list of questions they will be asked beforehand too.

(By the way, do you mean Ryanair's O'Leary or someone else?)

• Advertisement

flogen wrote: »
    But this segment was based around a press release sent out by IOFFL; there shouldn't be any need for the researcher to tell the IOFFL spokesperson what the segment would be about.
    That's true.
    It's a major journalistic no-no to give an interviewee or guest the list of questions they will be asked beforehand too.
    That's not though. It's a common occurrence, and as SB has hinted, the more powerful you are, the easier it is to arrange. Unfortunately Eamon doesn't even register yet. :)
    (By the way, do you mean Ryanair's O'Leary or someone else?)
    Of course he means Ryanair for feck's sake!

dahamsta wrote: »
    That's not though. It's a common occurrence, and as SB has hinted, the more powerful you are, the easier it is to arrange. Unfortunately Eamon doesn't even register yet. :)

It is a no-no; that's not to say it doesn't happen.

It works both ways, though. If the show is big enough they can wear the trousers and say they're not giving their questions away and if you don't like it you can go somewhere else.

If you know the topic you're talking about you shouldn't need to see the questions beforehand anyway; it's unlikely there'll be any curveballs once you're well researched.
    Of course he means Ryanair for feck's sake!

Just wanted to ensure he wasn't referring to someone else - the reason being I interviewed O'Leary after a conference a while ago (along with two other journalists); there was no arrangement beforehand (in fact we hadn't even discussed interviewing him with his "people"), he wasn't selective about who he spoke to or what he answered and he hung around until we had all run out of questions.

I'm not sure how he differs when it comes to radio but I can't see why he would ever want the questions in advance if he was able to handle himself so well when put on the spot by three journalists after a conference. Not like he doesn't have the capacity to speak, given the opportunity!

Advertisement