Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom broadband roll out delayed AGAIN

Options
  • 26-03-2009 12:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭

Broadband roll out delayed (again)

This has been going on for years but up until now there were no officially eircom announcements.

Last year to big fan fare Eircom announced a list of exchanges that would be enabled by the end of 2008. Eircom customer service and technical support both confirmed that Croom exchange (limerick) was on the list for second quarter of 2008. Then it was third quarter and then the local TD send a flyer around assuring us that it would be enabled by the end of 2008 GUARANTEED.

After Christmas it was end of first quarter 2009 with nice e-mail from customer service to confirm the fact (although it did add a disclaimer that this could be delayed). This morning I was told second quarter and looking at the list it would be end of June at the earliest and possibly deferred until quarter 3.

I am wondering if it any coincidence that eircom originally made the announcement 2 weeks after 2 wireless companies started offering service in the area ? I didn't go wireless as I it is at best a stop gap measure for me and i didn't want to sign a 12 month contract when I would be signing up for a business DSL package as soon as it was available (withing 3 months according to Eircom). Well no more eircom can shove their broadband I just placed an order for wireless and will be encouraging anyone else to do so as well.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

knipex wrote: »
    I am wondering if it any coincidence that eircom originally made the announcement 2 weeks after 2 wireless companies started offering service in the area ?

They got 12 months extra line rental out of you for absolutely nothing . About €250 I make it .

Why not write to Cathal Magee the CEO and ask for a refund ??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    They got 12 months extra line rental out of you for absolutely nothing . About €250 I make it .

You have no idea. About 5 months ago my wife noticed that our phone line was out can called Eircom. They guy came out next day and traced it back to a lightening strike blowing something. We hadn't seen lightening in 2 months.. That will give you some idea of how often we use the landline.

I only got it in so I would be able to get DSL with no delays...

Wireless guys are calling this evening to do a site survey. Then the line gets disconnected. My house alarm is monitored but this is gone over the GSM network.

Bye bye eircom.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭ninjasurfer1

Sponge Bob wrote: »

Were you not using the phone for calls? If not, why have it put in until broadband WAS in the exchange?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

Were you not using the phone for calls? If not, why have it put in until broadband WAS in the exchange?

We initally put the line in for a monitored house alarm. Due to lightening strikes (hitting the eircom lines) blowing up the alarm box 3 times we swapped it for a GSM unit. When eircom told us the exchange was about to be enabled we decided to hold onto the line rather than get is disconnected and then having to pay to get it reconnected when the exchange was enabled.

Advertisement