Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Double Glazed window grants

Options
  • 26-03-2009 8:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Do you know if there are any grants to get double glazed windows in your house? I know the government are giving grants to increase insulation for your homes, this just cant be putting fibreglass in the attic. I have single glazed aluminium windows and cant keep the heat in the house with them.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Smcgie

wheeliebin wrote: »
    Do you know if there are any grants to get double glazed windows in your house? I know the government are giving grants to increase insulation for your homes, this just cant be putting fibreglass in the attic. I have single glazed aluminium windows and cant keep the heat in the house with them.

Thanks
    Hi wheeliebin :)I am a BER assessor and have been watching this grant very closely.but the simple answer to your question is no... There are no grants at present for upgrading windows. Its unfortunate because it is the only area in energy improvement that has been left out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Smcgie

Excuse the double post using my BB on boards mobile for 1st time

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭etcetc

what is being covered exactly by the government grants?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,862 ✭✭✭✭muffler

etcetc wrote: »
    what is being covered exactly by the government grants?
    Details here :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Fulton Crown

128371513645948735EmoCatNeedsLo.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 wheeliebin

I could not find any grants at the time but went to a green party energy seminar last night. They basically said euro for euro windows gave the least return on energy saving for such a large expenditure. You could insulate your attic for 300euro and would save you more money than changing to double glazed windows at 3000euro. So it was more cost effective to give an insulation grant rather than a window grant
    But some interesting grants just came available for insulation and changing your central heating systems and even 200 euro towards a BER assessment.
    www.sei.ie

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

wheeliebin wrote: »
    I could not find any grants at the time but went to a green party energy seminar last night. They basically said euro for euro windows gave the least return on energy saving for such a large expenditure. You could insulate your attic for 300euro and would save you more money than changing to double glazed windows at 3000euro. So it was more cost effective to give an insulation grant rather than a window grant
    But some interesting grants just came available for insulation and changing your central heating systems and even 200 euro towards a BER assessment.
    www.sei.ie

this is very interesting. just wondeing if anyone has a ballpark figure for just how much the grant is worth in relation to the work done. for example, i'd like to upgrade the heating in my 1930s 3bed house, as you can have the GFCH on full blast and makes little difference, we're still all wearing jumpers and it coasts a fortune. Ther's no thermostat and the radiators are old single ones with no zigzags on the back. No way would 700 cover the cost. Any idea hhow much?

Whoops! Jusst found this! That'll teach me to do a search first!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,862 ✭✭✭✭muffler

this is very interesting. just wondeing if anyone has a ballpark figure for just how much the grant is worth in relation to the work done. for example, i'd like to upgrade the heating in my 1930s 3bed house, as you can have the GFCH on full blast and makes little difference, we're still all wearing jumpers and it coasts a fortune. Ther's no thermostat and the radiators are old single ones with no zigzags on the back. No way would 700 cover the cost. Any idea hhow much?
    The details are all listed in the links given above.

The only real condition is that you have to apply for a min. of €500 (I think thats the figure) of a grant. Its not based on a percentage of the cost so if you were lucky enough for example to get an approved contractor carry out the works for the grant figures stated then it wouldnt cost you a penny.

Like all previous grant schemes you can be sure that the contractors costs have now increased.

Advertisement