Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Sonic Game?

Options
  • 26-03-2009 1:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭

My Girlfriend isn't much of a gamer but she used to love sonic the hedgehog on the Megadrive as a kid and again on DS. She was very disappointed when I told her recently that we couldn't get Sonic and the Black Knight for the Wii as it is by all accounts, a pile o' Shoite.

So as a surprise for her I want to get one of the Megadrive originals on the Virtual Console store, I was never a sega gamer so I have no idea which was the best in the series, anyone able to help me out?

Much obliged.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,813 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Sonic 2 by a country mile, but you can't go wrong with any of the main series 2D ones, all great.

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Sonic 3 was fantastic as well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Sonic 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Sonic BOOM!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Sonic 3 is the most accessible, with the game save feature, but as a gamer it's Sonic 2.
    Even better, why not just have a look on adverts.ie and ebay or perhaps the Sunday markets and pick up a original Megadrive/II and the original Sonic games, I, II and III, they aren't terribly expensive and it's much much better to play them on the original hardware.

http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=98462&cat=12

http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=96637&cat=12

And Sonic and the Black Knight isn't all that bad actually, just not the same as the 2D titles, it's probably the best of the next gen Sonics thus far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,447 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Even better, why not just have a look on adverts.ie and ebay or perhaps the Sunday markets and pick up a original Megadrive/II and the original Sonic games, I, II and III, they aren't terribly expensive and it's much much better to play them on the original hardware.

Exactly -Just buy them all. Wont set you back very much at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

Sonic II, no doubt about it. I wasn't that big a fan of Sonic III at all though. I just didn't like the way that the levels ran into each other. They're all still cool though - bring back wonderful memories. I remember the first day we bought the MegaDrive with Sonic I and we were walking through St. Stephen's Green for something. The excitment in me was overbearing. Even the mere look at the box would get me going.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭vangoz

Sonic 1.... but i'm being biased because of nostalgia reasons........ Sonic 2 multiplayer (well 2 player) is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭randomchild

Sonic 3 and knuckles. Plus, sonic 2 with knuckles in it (my favorite character as a kid).

Master of the Universe

vangoz wrote: »
    Sonic 1.... but i'm being biased because of nostalgia reasons........ Sonic 2 multiplayer (well 2 player) is great.

Same. No Sonic game will top Sonic 1 for me purely because of Nostalgia. Sonic 1 Megamix comes close. Although that doesn't really count.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Nostalgia is not a good measure of a game I'm afraid.
    A good Sonic title should still stand up as a great game to a noob nowadays, not just to those who cut their gaming teeth on Sonic.
    As far as that yardstick is concerned Sonic 2 & 3 are still great great games.

I have a sneaky suspicion though that Super Mario World will be far more a gaming masterpiece than Sonic will ever be, although Sonic is surely a greater gaming icon, a 90's gaming ambassador, a representation of gaming of the time, whilst Mario is more a timeless hero, around since the early 80's and still able to delight with new titles even now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

they are all good. purchase with confidence. just avoid sonic 3d and spinball.

Master of the Universe

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Nostalgia is not a good measure of a game I'm afraid.
    A good Sonic title should still stand up as a great game to a noob nowadays, not just to those who cut their gaming teeth on Sonic.
    As far as that yardstick is concerned Sonic 2 & 3 are still great great games.

Sonic 2 & 3 aren't just great games...They're brilliant!
    I think you misunderstood my nostalgia comment. I am well aware the sequels are considered better games. Just my own personal favourite will always be the original due to nostalgia. Although it's not a case of having nostalgia for a rubbish game and then returning to it later to find out how wrong you were. I've been playing Sonic 1 on a regular basis since I was 8 years old and it's still great :)
    ciderman wrote:
    I have a sneaky suspicion though that Super Mario World will be far more a gaming masterpiece than Sonic will ever be, although Sonic is surely a greater gaming icon, a 90's gaming ambassador, a representation of gaming of the time, whilst Mario is more a timeless hero, around since the early 80's and still able to delight with new titles even now.

I know what you mean.
    Mario is Mickey Mouse. Sonic is a Warner Brothers character like Daffy Duck that you love equally or if not more. But he'll never be on the same level as Mickey Mouse.

Master of the Universe

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    they are all good. purchase with confidence. just avoid sonic 3d and spinball.

Sonic 3D Flickies Island - oh dear... was a sure sign of things to come that Sonic just doesn't work in 3D. Such a boring boring game. Shame as it actually looked nice enough.

Spinball is actually fun if you stick with it a bit.

Spinball was always a fun, if derivative title, but then no different from the countless non platformer games Mario's mug has appeared in, including a pinball title!
    Sonic 3D Flickies Island would have probably been better received had Sega not tried to convince us that this was the 3D Sonic game we were all waiting for, and not only on the Megadrive but also on the Saturn, which an even bigger insult to all of us who awaited a proper 3D Sonic game to compete with Mario 64 and even Crash.

In the end the closeest we got was Nights and Sonic R, and at that the best 3D Sonic game is still the hub section of Sonic Jam, how on earth did those who made that wonderful interlude not get the green light to do a whole game that way?

Even now, we have the perfect console, the DS, that could easily pull off a 3D Sonic game but with gameplay on a 2D plane, fast and speedy, that's what we want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

Cheers everyone, for some reason I cant find Sonic 2 on the VC, may just go for 3 so.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,813 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Sonic 3 was good but too short. I'd pick sonic and knuckles over it.
    o1s1n wrote: »
    I know what you mean.
    Mario is Mickey Mouse. Sonic is a Warner Brothers character like Daffy Duck that you love equally or if not more. But he'll never be on the same level as Mickey Mouse.

Sonic is a sell out! Why people still buy his awful games is beyond me. The amount of people that I've had to talk out of buying them is disgraceful and some buy them regardless and always end up regretting it (other than sonic rush, I'd recommend that but it's still too fast. Fast for the sake of fast that leads to unfair deaths isn't fun gameplay and speed was only a tiny fraction of the gameplay in the old sonic games. Play them Sega! The old good ones were slow!).

Does anyone else hate Sonic CD despite the praise it gets? It may have the most and biggest levels but they are all badly designed and boring with no personality unlike in Sonic 2 were every stage had a theme and new gameplay.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,342 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Sonic Pinball without a doubt.............................................

callaway92 wrote: »
    Sonic Pinball without a doubt.............................................

I cast thee out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

In order of preference:

1. Sonic 2
    2. Sonic 1
    3. Sonic CD
    4. Sonic & Knuckles
    5. Sonic 3

The level design was much better in the first two games. After that it took a really sharp nosedive in quality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Does anyone else hate Sonic CD despite the praise it gets? It may have the most and biggest levels but they are all badly designed and boring with no personality unlike in Sonic 2 were every stage had a theme and new gameplay.

YES!, absolutely, it was bloody terrible in my eyes. Think i heard it wasnt made by the Japs and therefore lacked the art direction of the megadrive games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Phototoxin

Sonic two is good but sonic 3 + knuckles is an EPIC game!

It was actually developed in japan but the american developed Sonic 2 was actually developed by most of the original Sonic Team. Sonic CD was handled by an almost completely different team. Thought it was dreadful myself as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

I was never a fan of Sonic games - usually got really bored with each game real quick unlike the Mario Brothers games.

But, prob my favorite Sonic game was Sega Saturn Sonic R:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6s3dP8GUFSw

Jasus, there was a load of Sonic games and spin offs:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iusQeOf5O4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

Best Zone in a Sonic game? I'd probably say Hill Top Zone (Sonic 2). The music was class and it looked gorgeous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭appleidog

Best Sonic games
    1. Sonic_Jam_Box_Cover_USA.png
    2. sonic_1.jpeg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭97i9y3941

have sonic jam in my collection,as far as i know,the 3d world section is the only thing not ported to any other console*although belief is sega where testing the waters to see how would sonic look in 3d*,but the same could be said about knuckles chaoix,if that person that started that thread has a ps2,he could pick up sonic gems/sonic mega collection,both which have most of the sonic games,well worth the money,as for sonic 3d island,the bonus stage on the saturn version was outstanding

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Sonic 2 - The bright animation, the excellent music, Tails, extra long play time, and the start of the Sonic & Knuckles chain of click-in cart adventures!

I remember getting it for my.....tenth birthday?

Have to agree, sonic CD was muck. Apart from the intro :)

My favourite recent is sonic adventure DS (apart from the dreadful bosses)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭appleidog

Fred83 wrote: »
    have sonic jam in my collection,as far as i know,the 3d world section is the only thing not ported to any other console*although belief is sega where testing the waters to see how would sonic look in 3d*,but the same could be said about knuckles chaoix,if that person that started that thread has a ps2,he could pick up sonic gems/sonic mega collection,both which have most of the sonic games,well worth the money,as for sonic 3d island,the bonus stage on the saturn version was outstanding

Sonic collection/Gems/other lump of crap can not compare to Sonic jam!

The presentation alone in sonic jam is fantastic and the Extra features of easy mode hard mode/spindash on sonic 1. its how compilations should be done.

And the Sonic Jam 3D world its self is fantastic.

jam_01.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭little foot

My Girlfriend isn't much of a gamer but she used to love sonic the hedgehog on the Megadrive as a kid and again on DS. She was very disappointed when I told her recently that we couldn't get Sonic and the Black Knight for the Wii as it is by all accounts, a pile o' Shoite.

So as a surprise for her I want to get one of the Megadrive originals on the Virtual Console store, I was never a sega gamer so I have no idea which was the best in the series, anyone able to help me out?

Much obliged.
    Hated every sonic game on de wii. Just not de same:(

Advertisement