Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with laptop issues

Options
  • 25-03-2009 11:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭

I'm hoping someone might be able to help me. I accidently dropped my laptop and since then it hasn't been working properly. Initially it would start up and I could get one program working but as soon as I tried to do anything else it would freeze and I would have to power it off. then it wouldn't start at all - it would get stuck trying to load windows on the page where the little bar flashes across the screen. I used the reinstallation disc and was able to get it started again by running a couple of the repairs on there. Again when it started it would freeze shortly after it was loaded. It is now running, albeit very slowly and I have had several error messages come up. They are:
    - instruction 0x00a29735 referenced memory 0x036ff040. Memory could not be written

- out of memory at line 23

-insturction at 0x71f3995f refernce memory at 0x0072009e. The memory could not be read.

My knowledge of computers at this level is limited, but it sounds maybe like a hard drive problem?? Would I possibly be looking at having to get the hard drive replaced? Does anyone know if Dell warranties cover accidental damage (I assume not and unfortunately you can tell the laptop has had a fall). If not, would anyone care to hazard how much I'm looking at get it repaired.

Thanks,
    Mel.b

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Dell sell accidental cover, if you didn't buy it then you don't have it :(
    you could check on line in the support and put in your tag and check configuration for the parts list, unlikely though

yeah sounds like the drive, they are very sensitive when they are in use
    dell diags in the bios should be able to test it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Thanks for that info re: warranty on the dell website.

Typically, my warranty expired on the 9th of this month :(

I'm running the diagnositics now and have already had one error:
    DST Short Test
    Error code 2000-0142
    Unit 1 Drive self test failed. Status byte 79

So if it is the hard drive, theortically I should be able to back everything up to an external drive and then replace the hard drive myself and reinstall all the software?

or is that too simple?

Cheers,
    mel.b

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭tpotter

mel.b wrote: »
    Typically, my warranty expired on the 9th of this month :(

That is a shame, I tend to have the same kind of luck.

I found this page on dell that lists the error codes and if you have the one you listed, it directs you to their hard drive troubleshooting page. I didn't know what kind of laptop you had, but I would go there and check to see what dell says.

If it is a case of a bad hard drive, then replacing it should do the trick.

Advertisement